COB Interviews

a new album in the beginning of the new year?

Don't do that man... That was from last Autumn, the new album they're talking about is RRF. I think they should start writing a new album at the beginning of next year, and not wait till 2013/2014... RRF is not horny enough to keep you waiting.

Hristian: Relentless Reckless Forever. Are these the words that describe Children Of Bodom?
Henkka: Yes, these are the words which describe us the best. The meaning of the title is exactly for us, from the very beginning. That's why we thought that it will be the perfect title for the new album.
Roope: Well, yeah! I think it says: "We don't care about anything, fuck it all, we have it forever!" It was Alexi's idea.
Hristian: The new album is something like "back to the roots" because Blooddrunk sounded more american. Is it true?
Henkka: I don't know if Blooddrunk sounded more american. It was more hard, less melodic, even more trash. Relentless Reckless Forever is more melodic which reminds me of our older albums. In my opinion this album contains our best qualities.
Roope: I believe it's the opposite. We didn't planned it this way... In fact, we were not planning anything. I think that Blooddrunk sounds more european and Relentless Reckless Forever sounds more american because we worked with Matt Hyde and he is from LA!
Hristian: You received many different reactions about the single Was It Worth It. Some people were saying that it sounded like a pop song. Why did you chose it for a single?
Henkka: In fact, we had two songs ready for a single- Shovel Knockout and Was It Worth It. Our label estimated that the single should be Was It Worth It so it was not our decision. To be honest, we don't care that much. We love all the songs of the album, because we made them. But, I don't know, I never paid too much attention to the singles. I listen to metal because the entire albums, not because some songs. Yes, Was It Worth It is way easier, but the rest of the album is kick- ass.
Hristian: Lots of fans are complaining that you lost your aggression and now you are more melodic. What do you think about this?
Roope: There are always fans that are just taking the things that are happening. Others can't. Even I don't like some stuff in Blooddrunk. People should understand that every album is different- it's like a signature of time and it's about all the things we cared about then. Some fans want us to continue recording the same album over and over again, but it is impossible. If you don't like the album- OK, your opinion. If they understand the things so well, fine let them record the perfect album and then I'll take criticism from them.
Henkka: When you record a new album you always want it to be the best one! Actually, is there another way? How can you make something thinking that it's the worst thing ever? There is no pressure here because we believe in what we are doing and we don't care about the opinion of the others. We were in such an amazing mood while recording. Eh, there was a little bit of pressure but in small doses it's healthy, haha! In fact, we know what we are doing. We tried a lot of different things and yeah, how horrible, the songs have melodies.
Hristian: Do you think that Relentless Reckless Forever is going to change the opinion of your fans, in the good way?
Roope: I really hope so but, in fact, I don't care.
Hristian: For the first time in this album you don't have a song with "Bodom" in the title. Was this on purpose or it is not that important to you?
Henkka: And yes, and no, haha! We don't want to make some artificial stuff- it just didn't appeared naturally so there was no sense. We are not making songs only because of the stereotypes...
Hristian: You worked with Matt Hyde. Why him?
Henkka: We chose Matt, because we thought that he was the prefect choice and he was the only one, who had no problems with coming to Finland and staying 'til the end of the recording. We know that he is really dedicated to the recording things and it was really awesome!
Hristian: In most of the cases the producers want the best of the band and at the end they are super tired. Was this the case with Matt or he gave you more freedom?
Henkka: He trusted us a lot because he knew that we were always doing this alone. This was the first time that we took a person, that we would actually listen to. In this case, Matt was like our nanny. He used to tell us where to be in the studio, in what order should we play... It was weird that somebody was controlling us but we had a great time with him.
Hristian: In 2009 Blooddrunk won the finnish music awards for the best metal album. Do you think that it would be the same with Relentless Reckless Forever?
Henkka: No, haha! To be honest, we don't care. In fact, it was really nice that we won, but it was never our purpose.
Hristian: Tell me how a Children Of Bodom day goes by, when you get together to play some songs or to write stuff about the new album.
henkka: We see each other very early, drink coffee, talk shit at least one hour, haha! The we go to the rehearsal room and we start playing. If we have some ready songs we are playing with them. Then Alexi is giving us his new ideas and then we start playing the new stuff together. Usually, if we want to finish a song we need a couple of weeks. But it depends on the songs- if they are long and complicated we need more time. For example, we were ready with Was It Worth It for about two days, but we finished Shovel Knockout for a few months.
Hristian: OK, now the same question, but on the tourbus, backstage, hotels...
Henkka: Haha, OK, let's see... After the show we take a shower and we drink something. If we have time we eat and then continue drinking. We have some friends and a part of the crew at the backstage and we party with them. We get drunk with friends, haha! The bus is heading to the next town at about one o clock in the evening and some of us go to sleep and other people just continue drinking. On the next day we are with dopey, haha!
Hristian: You have the reputation of a really wild band. Can you tell me something fun, that happened during the tour?
Henkka: I'll tell you about one thing that happened in Colombia. It was before ten years, I think. We were standing at the airport in Mexico for about six hours. We arrived in Colombia at about eight o clock at the evening and we went to the place where we had to play. It turned out to be something like a Mall and outside it was full with fans. The promoters tried to hide us and suddenly 2000 people started running towards us! The promoters managed to get us out before they kill us, haha! The concert had to start in nine and we arrived in eight and it was very hard to prepare everything. There was a big pressure. The show was in South America and as you know, the food there is super strong. And then can you just imagine that we found out that there were no toilets!!! It was hard... However, we survived through this and the show ended in midnight and we went to the hotel but we had to go to the airport at four o clock in the morning. It was like "Colombia for eight hours", haha!
Hristian: Which is your craziest tour?
Henkka: The tour with Slayer. It was absolutely amazing! I couldn't believe it!
Roope: We have 100 stories. Every tour is different. Usually the places that we visit for the first time are the best like our first shows in Japan, USA. This time it will be interesting because we'll play in some places, that we never visited before- Bulgaria, Athens...
Hristian: Henkka, you are the only member of the band that has no side projects. Do you think that this will continue?
Henkka: Yes. I am happy with the situation at the moment and because of Children Of Bodom I don't have time for anything else. If I have some music ideas, I'm just using them in the band and that's all.
Hristian: You are so dedicated to the band and probably this takes a lot of your free time. Don't you want to have more spare time, to have family?
Henkka: Again, I'm really happy with the situation at the moment. For example, November was the las month of the tour and from November 'til now I was totally free. We have a lot of spare time, so I'm okay with this.
Hristian: Which are your biggest influences?
Henkka: It's very hard to say, but I can tell you some black metal bands- Emperor, DarkThrone. I can also say Stone and Anthrax. Yes, I think that the main influences are black and trash metal bands. There are some others like GN'R, Skid Row...
Roope: Stone, W.A.S.P., Poison. We don't want to look like any other band.
Hristian: And what bands do you usually listen to? Are there any new bands that you like?
Henkka: I prefer the new bands. I like the classical stuff too, but I prefer the new music. One of the coolest bands that I listen to now is Swallow The Sun. I also like Gojira- they are not exactly a new band, but they are kick- ass!
Roope: Oh, they are a lot, but some of them are Sex Pistols, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, W.A.S.P., Loudness, Metallica, Anthrax, Twisted Sister, Van Halen, AC/DC... There are some new stuff that I like, for example Cavalera Conspiracy. The new album of Deicide is awesome, too!
Hristian: Children Of Bodom's image is easy to remember, in the good way- Alexi even opened WildChild Industries. What do you think- is it important for one band to look well or only the music is important?
Roope: Do I really look cool? Wow, thx man! This explains why we have more hairy men in the crowd. Girls do to HIM concerts and boys go to COB concerts.
Hristian: Haha! Now tell me- are you the most successful finnish metal band?
Henkka: No, I don't think so. HIM and Nightwish are more successful than us.
Hristian: Are you friends with some other finnish metal bands?
Henkka: Yes, definitely with Amorphis. They are from Helsinki, too and we see each other very ofthen.
Hristian: So there is no rivalry between you?
Henkka: No! We have a lot of respect, we are friends and we help each other.
Hristian: You are a young band, but an influence for others. Was it hard to get here and Was It Worth It?
Henkka: Hell, Yeah, haha! If it was not worth it, I wouldn't be able to talk to you. Everything is so good, I don't regret about anything and I hope this last as long as possible.
Roope: We are not a young band anymore, we played a lot all over the world. I feel like we achieved something like a victory. Nothing comes easy, but yes it was worth it!
Hristian:What do you expect from the show in Sofia?
Henkka: I am very exited! We never played in Bulgaria. Actually, we almost never played in this part of Europe. I can't wait!
Roope: I don't know. Do we have fans? We'll understand this very soon.
Hristian: And what about the setlist? More new songs, more old songs, or the "best of cob"?
Henkka: The best of COB! We haven't decided yet, but we want to have songs from all the albums. 15- 16 songs and some surprises, haha!
Hristian: Thank you so much for the answers. Any last words?
Henkka: As I said, I'm very exited! See you soon!
Roope: Stay heavy and come to the concert!
Alexi couldn't join the interview, but what is COB interview without him? We decided to write some funny things he said- just for fun
1.Alexi Laiho commands you to kill a china guy (on a japanese concert)
2.Flowers and sweet things... Fuck it all, the next song is called Hate Crew Deathrow
3.We decided to take some Pepto Bismol pills with the whiskey. Like that your stomach is OK and you get really drunk!
4.I always keep a bottle of alcohol near me. When I feel bad I just drink a bit and then again I'm on a super cool scene.
5.I don't know why, but after every tour I get a Teddy Bear. For some reason when I get drunk I buy them.
6.World Piece! Kill Off!
7.I have puked in Greece, what have you done?
8.The next song is for all those fucking fags that think that there is something bad about wearing black and drinking beer. When you see this kind of son of a bich just show him a middle finger and shout "Fuck you! You are better off dead!"

hope you enjoyed it :D sorry it took me so long but I am just lazy :D
take care.........

Wow, thanks a lot for all that work! And this one has been quite interesting, enjoyed it a lot (could have gone without those old Alexi quotes in the end though).

What the hell is this? Fans complaining about melodies? I thought it was the lack of melodicy that we were complaining about. And I understand Roope's attack on "if you understand this music so well then make the perfect album and then criticize us", well I don't understand everything musically the way they do _obviously_ but in general everyone who loved the old Bodom is saying the new stuff is not feelingful enough and is too thrashy. And STILL they keep saying "we can't do the same album all over again". What same album? You've been doing 4 fairly similar albums in a row. We're talking about Follow the Reaper & Hatebreeder, which are massively different from their new work but also very different comparing to each other...

We were ready with Was It Worth It in about two days, but we finished Shovel Knockout for a few months.

^It's quite obvious just listening to the tracks.

Nice interview, the guy didn't know the band before but at least he tried. :)

To netti-Alexi Laiho commands you to kill a china guy (on a japanese concert)

It is not funny at all if you have read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre.
What ever it was,he was better off not having said it in Japan.

I thought that was just rumor in the chinese metal forum,but now what is this?

If you're wondering whether CoB ever wanted to play in china or they ever cared about this,
truth is they had loyal fans over there,who went to their show in Beijing across all over the country and they cried the shit
out of themselves after the show.
Now they're not able to play in China,for how long I don't know.
Well,they're relentless reckless,at least Im suffering for this shit.

@ Tao Lee: Look, I'm so sorry. I swear I had no idea. I listen to this band for about 5 months or so and if I knew I would NEVER translate this here. And when I opened the link I was..... well, shocked? Idk what to say about this. I had to know this before I translated it, but STUPID ME!!!!!! Again I'm apologizing. somebody should wash alexi's mouth with a soap

To netti-Alexi Laiho commands you to kill a china guy (on a japanese concert)

It is not funny at all if you have read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre.
What ever it was,he was better off not having said it in Japan.

I thought that was just rumor in the chinese metal forum,but now what is this?

If you're wondering whether CoB ever wanted to play in china or they ever cared about this,
truth is they had loyal fans over there,who went to their show in Beijing across all over the country and they cried the shit
out of themselves after the show.
Now they're not able to play in China,for how long I don't know.
Well,they're relentless reckless,at least Im suffering for this shit.
I think Alexi himself didn't know about that. I mean, he didn't go to school after junior high and they don't really teach Japanese / Chinese history in junior high.

I think Alexi himself didn't know about that. I mean, he didn't go to school after junior high and they don't really teach Japanese / Chinese history in junior high.

They don't teach us any of that stuff here in Europe. At least not in high school. And who cares, he didn't mean it for serious. Don't take it to the heart.

I don't know if this has been posted already (uploaded 4 days ago), but here's a Jaska interview from Wacken.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish COB would use two years to make the next album, try to make nine great songs, so we'd have something interesting going on in interviews as well instead of still asking about Britney.