COB Interviews

Another interview, this time with Janne. Very low quality though, I couldn't watch even 2 minutes ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Wtf is up with these sillyass interviews. They should find some hardcore fans to do this for each metal band, is what I think. At least bother to check on the forum and make fans come up with the questions. And not just google out what other interviewers asked them, and ask the same questions every time. It's always 1) how's the tour going, 2) what does RRF mean, 3) what's up with the American producer... It takes some creativity to ask interesting things concerning the music.

@ Joonas: couldn't agree more (and the awful sound-quality here doesn't help, either :erk: ) Can't really see why COB do these type of interviews - perhaps it's just a way of killing a little time before the show

"You have a number of signature model ESP guitars on the market, is there anything new happening in that space at the moment such as new guitar releases on the horizon?
Well actually I have been working on one new guitar, but I can’t really tell you the specifics yet. But it’s going to be pretty much the same, but there are a few details that will be different." I wonder how this guitar will look like- perhaps one with green stripes?

Interview with Alei talkikng about the Aussie's tour and stuffs.

http://maytherockbewithyou.com/mtrbwy/2011/10/alexi-laiho-of-children-of-bodom/

On the back of their latest release Relentless Reckless Forever, Children of Bodom have further solidified their standing as one of the leading new generation metal bands, but in saying that, the band formed in 1993, so they aren’t exactly that new! On their seventh album the band once again effortlessly blend crushing metal riffs, haunting melodies, stadium sized metal anthems, keyboards and slashing fret work, that has seen front man Alexi Laiho establish himself as one of the leading metal guitarists in the world today.

Escaping the onset of their native Finnish winter, Children of Bodom will be heading to Australia in November for a bunch of shows on what will be their third tour down under.

We chatted with Alexi about their upcoming tour, the making of their latest album Relentless Reckless Forever, and give Alexi a minute or 2 for some free advertising!

Hey Alexi, thanks for taking the time to chat, so where in the world do we find you today?
I’m calling in from Helsinki at the Spinefarm office.

And is it starting to get cold over there now?
Oh dude it sucks, it’s cold and rainy and just down right depressing!

In November you are headed out to Australia as part of The Ugly World tour, you have been out to Australia a few times now, what are you looking forward to about being back here?
Pretty much everything, I’ve always liked the country. We’ve done like two tours there and have had good crowds. You guys are really cool people in general and I have nothing but good memories about Australia so we are definitely really psyched about coming back.

This year you either have, or will be, touring places such as Russia, Israel, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico and of course Australia, you sure have been getting around the world!
Well coming up we actually have dates in Indonesia, Singapore and Philippines and then South Africa. There are a couple of dates in South America as well so it’s definitely exciting to hit new places and not always do the same shit.

Have you found that with this album in particular, it has opened doors in these other markets?
Well given we have covered Europe and USA pretty well and we did a tour In Japan, basically those markets are the most important for us, but now it’s the perfect moment for us to do the rest of the world. We’ve actually done a lot of dates in the UK this time around. The shows were a little bit bigger than before, so that was really cool too with things finally picking up there as well.

Speaking of the UK, this year you played at Download festival and then also Wacken in Germany, how do you like playing on those big festival lineups as opposed to doing your own headline tours?
It’s such a different vibe and you can’t really compare the two. If I had to choose I would go for a really insane, sweaty club show as opposed to an outdoor thing. Then again there are the positives of doing festivals, obviously the crowds are bigger and just in general it’s a lot of fun doing festivals, as there are so many bands and some you don’t get to see that often.

Travelling the world as you do, have you got a sense of the type of people that Children of Bodom fans generally seem to be?
Well it’s funny, our fan base is just so diverse. We have a bunch of 50 something biker dudes and then there are kids that are under 10 years old who come to the shows with their parents! Which I think is really cool, it’s not just a certain age going to these shows. What I have noticed on the tours we have done this year, there’s a lot of younger kids now in the audience than there used to be. Which I think is a good thing, at least that means a bunch of todays youth are into metal.

So what can we expect as far as the set list goes here in Australia, will that be pretty similar to what you have been touring with so far this year?
Well basically we always try and play stuff from each album, but we need to play some stuff from the new album as well, maybe four or five songs. We haven’t really decided what the set list will be just yet, but we are going to start rehearsing soon.

What have been some of your personal favourites to play from the new album?
Well as far as the crowd response Shovel Knockout is when the crowd usually get really fucking wild and also Roundtrip To Hell And Back, these songs come in a row and it’s a good contrast as it’s a slower tempo but still heavy.

Relentless Reckless Forever has been out now for about 6 months, have you generally been happy with the way the way the fans have responded to the album?
It’s been really great, like for real. I’ve only heard good feedback but it’s not like people are going to come up to you and tell to your face, dude the album sucks! I mean they do that on the Internet, but I don’t even usually go to our website or check any online stuff as I’m not into that stuff. But all the stuff I have seen, it’s pretty much been positive!

As far as the whole process of recording and writing that album, would you say that was probably your most enjoyable or difficult, what is the feeling now when you look back on it?
It was both, it was definitely tough as we had less time in the studio than what you are normally used to. We took a bit more time on the song writing and we worked with a producer this time, which was new for us. He was a good dude, Matt Hyde, he made sure the wheels were in motion and cracking the whip, something was always happening and people were not slacking off or anything. It was kind if tough but I did enjoy it a lot, working so hard. Usually we will spend about 6 weeks in the studio just to record usually everything except for the vocals. Recording for us, whilst we take it very seriously, it’s also been a big party for us. I’m actually really proud of this one as it was pretty much recorded in three weeks and it’s better played than anything we have done before.

Some bands will start working on songs for their new album practically as soon as the current one has been completed, are you one of those bands, or do you only write when the time comes to start thinking about a new album?
We are definitely not one of those bands! When an album is done, we just concentrate on the touring. Like you said, I know a lot of people can actually do writing whilst touring, but for me it doesn’t work out man. Just the tour environment, it’s so wrong for writing, at least for me anyway. So we just want up concentrate on the touring and when that’s over, it’s all about the song writing, that’s how it works for us.

You have a number of signature model ESP guitars on the market, is there anything new happening in that space at the moment such as new guitar releases on the horizon?
Well actually I have been working on one new guitar, but I can’t really tell you the specifics yet. But it’s going to be pretty much the same, but there are a few details that will be different.

Now while we are on the subject of plugging things, how is the Wild Child Industries clothing line going?
It’s going, you know, slow but steady. We are still working on new designs and stuff and so far it’s still worth doing. We enjoy doing it and it’s so fucking hard to find cool t-shirts these days and it’s easier to make your own!

Ok, here’s a question that will probably put you on the spot, If you could put together your ideal G3 line-up, who would you choose?
Wow….haha! Well Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai and…..lets fucking throw Zakk Wylde in there.

I saw Paul Gilbert with Mr.Big at Sweden Rock Festival in June, he was amazing, it was great to finally see him perform live.
Yes, he definitely is an amazing guitar player.

Children of Bodom has been in existence for over 15 years, how has the metal scene in Finland changed in that time, is that very different to when you first started out?
It’s definitely different, as much as I’ve been able to follow the metal scene around here it just seems now it’s the whole kind of Folk metal stuff with people dressed up wearing bear skins and stuff like that. That really seems to be the flavour of the month right now and there’s a couple of decent bands that play that who I can listen to. Back in the day it was different there was either really underground extreme death metal bands or more like 80′s Helloween type bands like Stratovarius. Then just the fact of how big and popular metal has become over those 15 years. Metal music here in Finland is seriously considered mainstream and it’s kind of like a double edged sword. It’s a good thing with albums and sales, but the one thing that appealed about metal to me was the whole rebellious nature, like it was our thing, not like the family fun thing! But what are you going to do, I can’t complain!

COBTOURPOSTERCompetitionRS.jpg

Travelling the world as you do, have you got a sense of the type of people that Children of Bodom fans generally seem to be?
Well it’s funny, our fan base is just so diverse. We have a bunch of 50 something biker dudes and then there are kids that are under 10 years old who come to the shows with their parents! Which I think is really cool, it’s not just a certain age going to these shows. What I have noticed on the tours we have done this year, there’s a lot of younger kids now in the audience than there used to be. Which I think is a good thing, at least that means a bunch of todays youth are into metal.

I've noticed you can always pick out the younger kids, as they don't know any of the material beyond the last two albums...
Which would be alright, as long as they didn't act like the douchebags that these younger teenage kids seem to act like. Around here at least, it definitely irks the older metal heads when some of the young kids walk in and act like they know everything, and don't respect or know some of the unwritten rules for going to metal shows. :rolleyes:

Either way, thanks for posting the interview.

Interview with Janne (pretty much the usual content :erk: )

http://www.metalasfuck.net/zine/articles/2011/children-bodom-relentless-and-ever-evolving

Children of Bodom: Relentless and Ever Evolving
Looking forward to the Australian crowds come November!

Children of Bodom’s seventh studio album Relentless Reckless Forever has spread like wild fire throughout the world since its release on March 8, 2011. The album was certified Gold in Finland on its first day of sales and by March 9 the album had sold over 100,000 copies worldwide, an impressive feat by the colossal Finnish monsters. Like many, I am intoxicated by the music of Children of Bodom. The magnetism of their music splinters the limits of style, technicality and veracity in ways which many cannot duplicate, Relentless Reckless Forever is an anthology of untameable proportion.

Taking advantage of the bands current breather from The Ugly World Tour, Metal As Fuck chats to Children of Bodom’s preeminent keyboardist Janne Wirman to discuss the new album and the massive 2011 world tour which has spread across Europe, the USA, Russia and Israel and graces our shores for the first time since 2008 this November.

But before we begin the interview I ask Janne about his home Country Finland and the jaw dropping animation of Helsinki; the capital of Finland stands among one of the best countries to visit if you’re into all things metal. We were heavily impressed with the ‘scene’ of Helsinki, so many enthusiasts flocking to live shows, with a venue on nearly every corner. Has heavy metal always been a strength within the country? “It’s always been yeah, music in general has forever had a very heavy presence in the community of Finland. We live here, this is still home, and on occasion we still like to have Christmas/New Year shows in Helsinki. The crowds/fans are always great.”

I enlighten Janne with a tale from my trip to Finland this past June and our trek to Lake Bodom, advising that not only will I be purchasing a “I Survived Lake Bodom” T-Shirt but also a “I Survived the Espoo Public Transport System” T-Shirt.... Janne, among fits of laughter totally agreed.

The new album, Relentless Reckless Forever has taken the world by storm, was the response anticipated? “With each release, you never know what to expect, we were definitely happy with the result. It’s not that easy to stay fresh these days, it gets harder and harder, we were determined with this album because of this.”

Over the past fourteen years of Children of Bodom we’ve seen the music taking a heavier direction, with a severe emphasis on those world renowned guitars, what influenced you all to go in this direction? “It pretty much evolved that way on its own; we moved away from the customary neo classical element after Hate Crew Deathroll and adjusted to the new sound accordingly".

The keyboards hold such an important position in the music of Children of Bodom, how do you approach/incorporate them into the music? “The keyboards are a key element in the music for sure; its part of the package, I write the music around what’s been put in front of me.” What is your inspiration as a keyboardist? “So many, I like to take any technical guitar riff and just go with it, in the form of artists who I draw inspiration from, definitely the early works of Steve Vai and anything from Jens Johansson (Stratovarius)".

The album has been said to be your best work yet, back to your roots, I don’t agree with this statement, do you believe this is the case? “Not at all, we have definitely progressed with the latest album, the last 3 albums in fact; we have moved away from many Bodom-typical styles and produced new material using various different techniques not only with the keyboards but with the use of the guitars. We did incorporate orchestral compositions in a few of the tracks from the album, perhaps this is why it’s been described like that.”

COB have such a unique sound, the band has always been renowned for its style. Is it important to separate yourselves from the usual trends? “Yeah, you’ve got to keep it fresh; we don’t want to use the same formulas over and over again. Using different approaches to some of the music each time around keeps the ideas fresh so we don’t repeat ourselves, no one likes repeats.”

So The Ugly World Tour 2011, you’ve been on the road almost the entirety of this year. Throughout Europe, the UK, North America, Canada, Asia, Russia – the list goes on! How is it all going? “This was the first time we have done a full European tour; we were extremely excited about it! The American tour was all through the summer, we hit up some festivals on the circuit and even though there is a massive financial crisis over there right now there were still so many diehard fans who came out to the shows, the crowds were great.”

What is the best & worst things about touring? “Worst is the flights! Oh my god the flights! Something as insane as 43 flights I think we’re in for just for this tour, travelling to Tel Aviv, Australia & Asia. The Euro leg of the tour is fine, we’re in the tour bus, but I am not looking forward to those planes. Best definitely being able to see different countries and cultures, not that we ever have much free time, it’s still awesome though”.

So Wacken 2011, the grand-daddy of all festivals, did we enjoy ourselves? Do you like breaking up the usual gigs with festivals? “Wacken is the greatest festival in the world, I have to say we didn’t play our best performance, plus it was raining but the crowds were awesome to play to. Festivals are a whole different ball game; crowd reaction is phenomenal at festivals. We really do enjoy playing our own shows though, it’s more intimate.”

So you hit our shores in November! The last time you were all here was 2008 (if I can remember correctly, it was a big night) the response was unparalleled! What can we all expect this time around? “We are most interested in seeing the response from the Australian crowds; yeah we haven’t been there since 2008, definitely offering the crowds our best and nothing less.”

From MaF we wish you all the best with the tour and the new album, I will have my chance to see what you’ve got come November at the Big Top “Yeah for sure, we will see you in Sydney!”

The album has been said to be your best work yet, back to your roots, I don’t agree with this statement, do you believe this is the case? “Not at all, we have definitely progressed with the latest album, the last 3 albums in fact; we have moved away from many Bodom-typical styles and produced new material using various different techniques not only with the keyboards but with the use of the guitars. We did incorporate orchestral compositions in a few of the tracks from the album, perhaps this is why it’s been described like that.”

Orchestral? I believe he means the choirs in NMF & WIWI and the strings in RtHaB? I'd say the only thing that makes some think it's a return to the roots is the blue-sounding keyboards in the NMF verse, when they draw a swift conclusion. Yes there are other melodies too, but there always is. Any fool can tell the album is something completely different to the early albums.

thank you.......never understood y people thought it was back to the roots?

If they actually did go back to the roots, you'd have COB banners where there used to be Harry Potter banners, saying COB IS BACK TO THE ROOTS. It would be so big, definitely bigger than a bunch of trash magazine interviewers rumouring about it.

What the hell........ A bit ambiguous ;)

If they made a sequel for the HB / FTR albums it would prelude a world-takeover like never seen before, the beggars of Greece spending their money for a COB concert instead of bread, it would cause a pole shift on the planet.

Didn't I hear there is going to be a pole shift next year? Are you telling us to expect a new album like HB/FTR next year just before the pole shift?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever seen this? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wODeXZSQ7Q&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

or this [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCikr4Q-ljI&feature=related[/ame]