COB Interviews

Not much interesting apart from the part where he recognizes that his current guitar skills aren't up to was they used to be. Simplying the music does make a lot of sense if he is physically unable to play as difficult stuff as before (and it would explain why it's oftentimes sloppy)

I forgot whether it was his left or right shoulder that broke when he fell off the bunk in 2009? I think it was right, but that shouldn't hinder playing so much, so maybe it was left... Strange they left a broken bone unnoticed, they must've X-rayed because the rib was broken...

Alexi says his hardest solos are on the old albums. There has been some debate about that but IIRC the consensus was that the hardest stuff was on the later albums?

As a guitar player, I say that the solos on the newer albums are definitely harder to play. But I can understand people how say that they think, the older ones are harder because they are faster.

What is definitely harder are the riffs on the newer albums. RRF and HoB are definitely the most technical albums (HCDR is really close though).

Yeah, not so sure I buy the massive shoulder operation for the state of his playing, or the collarbone. When was the last time he performed well live anyway?

^So which shoulder was it?

It's important to start practicing physiotherapy as soon as you don't feel stinging pain. Otherwise it will freeze. I've broke my other shoulder a long time ago and with constant training I was even able to do crawl swimming in a few years. Joint fractures are a bitch and will never fully heal, but with correct physical activity you lubricate them, strengthen the supportive muscles, but it's important to avoid straining the ligaments, which will rub against the bone fractures. Eventually the sharp bones will polish out, but a broken (or operated) joint is never the same, there will always be an angle of mobility you need to avoid.

One of the things about getting old that totally sucks is all these weirdest injuries you would've never even thought about in your teens. And they're here to stay, once you've fucked something up it's often permanent to some extent. I injured my back a few years ago and the fucker won't heal, it's still as if I injured it last month. Life fucking sucks, complete virtual reality life can't come soon enough.

As a guitar player, I say that the solos on the newer albums are definitely harder to play. But I can understand people how say that they think, the older ones are harder because they are faster.

Maybe they are easier to play in a way, but for my ears in many cases they sound better. More melody, more to remember easier to evoke.

Btw, I have never compared HCDR and HOB, but HCDR is definietly on the technical side. Chokehold Solo is one of the best "mashup" of old & new Alexi-techniques.

OK and Alexi said it affects his finger nerves. Can't be a good thing for the left hand. Also he'd need to lower the guitar to make heavy riffing painless on the upper frets, but that makes soloing harder. But depression is the worst enemy, and every injury inflicts depression.

Maybe they are easier to play in a way, but for my ears in many cases they sound better. More melody, more to remember easier to evoke.

Btw, I have never compared HCDR and HOB, but HCDR is definietly on the technical side. Chokehold Solo is one of the best "mashup" of old & new Alexi-techniques.
Of course they sound better. The only good solos in the last 15 years Alexi did for CoB were the ones in NMF and Ugly. HoB also had a few good ones but the time is definitely over. Alexi is still an awesome songwriter. I really don't know a better one (personal opinion) but he went from a solo-god to nothing more than a average lead guitarist with basic skills. And this has nothing to do with a broken shoulder or wrist.

I don’t think a broken shoulder or wrist has anything to do with it. He broke his left side, but he has no problems doing hammer-ons or pulloffs with his left hand. His right hand is what sucks, it can’t keep up. Watch his right hand from when he was younger vs. now. Young, picked from the wrist and was relaxed. Now, picks from the elbow and is tensed up.