COB Interviews

https://www.hs.fi/kulttuuri/art-2000006550066.html
There is a new article about Roope in Helsingin Sanomat, it's only available if you have a paid account but I'm borrowing a friend's account:

ORIGINAL TEXT BY VILLE HARTIKAINEN
SORRY FOR TYPOS MY LAPTOP DIED I HAVE TO USE MY PHONE

Roope Latvala's life got messed up when he was kicked out of a successful band. - It wasn't because of alcohol, he says, but admits it "is a little bit of a problem".

Metal guitarist Roope Latvala quit playing for years, but has recently started to "do a little bit of playing" again. "Now I have had a feeling that music has started to interest me again. Song ideas are getting together in my head."

"I might have a little bit of a hangover, I partied last weekend" Roope Latvala says as he clicks open a can of beer. The sun is shining bright.

We are sitting on Latvala's green backyard in Kannelmäki, Helsinki. Here he lives with his wife, Eeva. Gardening has become a hobby for the couple.
Roope points at the berries growing in the bushes at the side and says he used them to make wine last fall. "It was really delicious."

You wouldn't think Roope was into gardening, even though it was his talented fingers thst brought him to fame: He is one of the most well known, most influential and talented metal guitarists in Finland.

He was first known from his thrash metal band Stone in the late 80's, where he was a very quick solo guitarist.
The rockstar dreams of his youth were made true at least in the early 2000s when he joined globally successful Children Of Bodom.

But for Roope it has always been more important to get to see the world than be famous. When the tourbus got to its target location, it was hus habit to get on a bike and head to see the city.
"It has been the best thing" Roope says. "It puts this little home town of ours into perspective. At the same time I have learned to appreciate other musicians. I have noticed that in every fuckin place there's all kinds of genius musicians. Really amazing players"

Roope became a world traveler as a child. His father Risto worked for the UN and the family moved around the world with him.

"I was made in Zambia" He reveals.

He learned English at a local international school in Botswana. In the classroom, multiple religions and citizenships were represented. "It broadened my world view for sure." Roope says.

If was in Africa that he first got to try an electric guitar too.

In the early 1980's, Roope's parents got an invite to dinner to an embassy, and the kids were taken to a local family for the night. It was there that 11 year old Roope saw the family's son's guitar. It was love at first sight.
"It was some chinese thing, I don't remember did it even have all the strings." Roope says.

When it was time to go home, the family's mother asked Roope if he wanted the guitar.

"We quickly packed it in the Citroen back, the little guy yelled 'Don't take my guitar' and I told my dad, 'Let' s get out of here quick', it was a pretty mean way to get it"

From may 2015 Roope has less nice memories. Children Of Bodom wrote on their official Facebook that Roope had "left the band without bad blood".

In reality he had been fired.

The band's vocalist/guitarist Alexi Laiho told his own side of the story in his biography that was published last year.

According to Laiho, Roope had often missed band practice, hadn't come to album recordings on time, and wasn't able to play his parts to the songs. He hinted that it had to do with Roope's problems with alcohol.

"Bullshit" Roope says.

Alexi, who has gone through a lifestyle change, Roople calls hypocritical and arrogant. He says he did go to band practice and practiced at home all the time.
So at least it wasn't about skills, Roope says. And even the drinking he claims to have reduced for weekends only.

Do you have a drinking problem?

"A little bit yes. But not a single show was canceled because of me. Unlike someone else... I have no regrets"

However it is, Latvala's life was badly messed up as he was fired. He says he has been battling depression in the last few years. Life has felt meaningless.

"A couple years I spent being pissed off" Roope sighs.

For a long time he didn't even want to touch his guitars. It's only recently in the last few months that he has picked the guitar up again, started practicing and working on song ideas in his "bunker" in the basement of his house.

"I have started playing a little bit again"

Would you have time for a new band?

"Well, my friends have suggested all kinds of things. But it feels hard to start anything nowadays. The band mates have a tendency to turn out to be assholes. I don't want to deal with all the problems anymore."

(There's some little facts for those who don't know him at the end, one worth noting is that he turns 50 on thursday!

Here it is already thursday. Happy birthday Roope! I'm excited to hear he's getting back to music! I hope he gets better and depression ends!)

Last edited:
So Roope is sticking to his story that he told a few years back. But (in the BAM thread) some private texts were shared to a few people, from someone who was either Henkka or Jaska, and they were backing up Alexi's version. Hmm...
Whatever really happened, Roope will forever be a part of what COB was, his talent is amazing, he seems like a great person by what I have been told by all the fans that met him. Even if he said he probably won't start a new band, he could still release music? Maybe a solo album?

The Secrets Of Bodom are frustrating but then again if I had to solve friend drama publicly I would go crazy. This and the breakup too, fuckin wish people that are old enough to be my dad were able to discuss their problems.

Reactions: COB-666
Well, I can attest that Roope is a great guy. I met him before a concert in Oslo. I had been waiting outside the venue because I had nothing else to do and I was the first one there. Saw a lot of people going in and out of the building, to the point where I actually got to know the entrance code.
Alexi came out of the building a bit later and went in the center. When he came back, he ended up being stuck outside because he didn't know what the code was and he had left his phone inside. So I stood up, and told him how to enter, after which I asked for a picture with him (there was no one else with me at that point). He simply ignored me and headed in without a single "thanks".
Later on, same thing happened with Roope. Well, after I had opened the door, he actually decided to light a cig and have a chat with me outside. We talked about guitar, Bodom, touring life, etc. for 5/10 min until he had finished his cig. We took a pic together and he headed him with a loud "Thanks again!". Later that night, handed me directly his pic (I was at the front row). Really a great guy compared the Laiho, who in my experience, behaves more like a diva than a rockstar.

I have only positive experiences about Alexi but in general the rest of the guys seem more relaxed and fun, I unfortunately never met Roope but I have heard a lot of great stuff about him, how nice he is. I would love to meet him some day too!

Reactions: COB-666
Alexi came out of the building a bit later and went in the center. When he came back, he ended up being stuck outside because he didn't know what the code was and he had left his phone inside. So I stood up, and told him how to enter, after which I asked for a picture with him (there was no one else with me at that point). He simply ignored me and headed in without a single "thanks"

Well, he's there to perform this tough music and get his mind set, there's probably bunch of jelly people so it's best to keep some sensible distance, and drooling creeps (like us) skulking by the backdoor just to get a moment of chat to remember. I guess once a guy becomes a rockstar he understands how it feels like to be a normal woman in the age of tinder, like, some attention is cool but too much of anything can be toxic. Like you’re busy going somewhere and everybody takes it personally if you don’t interact. Of course you're entitled to your feelings, but counterintuitively it's what charms you about Laiho's image, how he's this morose rebel introvert who's juuust on the side of light. At least he's in there for the music and not all about himself like some rockstars who are just these 'figures' in carefully selected clothing opening their arms to embrace the praise, but can't make good music to back it up.

I guess one can sense if you see them like a divine star, and then they'll respond just like that, distant as a star, cos that's what a star is. But if you're down to earth and talk to them like two guys made of clay then the levels naturally even, and they actually like that connection. Of course when someone's a prick and still assumes everyone thinks they're a star then that's annoying and like Manson said 'behave like a star and they'll treat you like a star', so it goes both ways... as long as you have the music to back it up, cos in metal guys don't overlook that, unlike in rap and pop where it's all about image and such.

Last edited:
I completely agree on what you just said Joonas. But in that situation, what shocked me is just that he completely ignored me while there was no one else around. I hadn't said anything other than how to open the door so he wouldn't be stuck outside and ask for a picture with him. And I would have understood if he said "No time, sorry" or even a ruder "Not today". But he didn't even bother answering. Straight up ignored me and headed in. While I did have a down-to-earth conversation with Roope, and it kinda started exactly the same way.
Again, the difference between a diva and a down-to-earth rockstar.

He was probably just focused only on "I gotta get there now" and was maybe embarrassed he locked himself out? Totally get how that would feel bad though, I would have felt bad too.

I have been ignored by him too but it was more like he was having deep thoughts and was startled when he noticed me it was awkward :D Imagine just having a smoke and then a random smiling goth appears when you're not paying attention.

I talked to someone who makes jewelry and sells them at cons, festivals and such. She shared comments that had been said about her online and it was like "So rude! So arrogant!" and she was really sad and distressed about it like "What did I do? I smiled the whole day through a migraine and I had so many nice exchanges with customers yet I see discussions like this". And I had the same experience working as a karaoke host at some point. I tried my hardest, felt like I had fun and they did too, but got complaints that I look mean and hateful. It's sometimes in the eyes of the customer, who looks at you the second you yawn or something. Being in a band is pretty much a customer service job too.

And, I'm not referring to you Charlie, I feel like a lot of people when talking about bands don't understand that the guys went through a whole day before meeting fans and anything could have happened. Of course, I'm not denying that for example Alexi couldn't be rude, everyone is an asshole some days. Some are all the time. But often when people look up to someone, they expect the first meeting moment to be something absolutely amazing and magical, and then the whole Star Image shatters because the Guitar God just really needs to take a shit?

Last edited:
Again, the difference between a diva and a down-to-earth rockstar.

Well, Roope's one of the funniest characters I know and I think he would make for great heavy metal home reality TV, I hope he pulls thru that slump and gets real with guitar with some cool band (maybe viking metal or 80's stuff) but Alexi's songwriting is what made it all possible, it's kinda irky that tends to get forgotten amid all the soap.

Last edited:

Here's an interview with Henkka from December, didn't see it posted yet and it looks like it has been uploaded just a week ago. It made me damn sad, but was very nice chat about his career.

Reactions: P4T0U and COB-666
Alexi is also part of a project called Anna Sen Soida - Radio ("anna sen soida" ="let it play" )
The point is they gather money to support finnish artists who lost their income because of corona. So about a hundred artists have put together a playlist of songs and before each song someone tells a funny memory about that song.

Been listening to it for a few days, only heard him once and his "good memory story" was basically "This is Alice Cooper a pretty good song from the early 90's". I was a bit like um ok... Because all the other artists have told pretty cool stories which is why I kept listening. And artists that I don't like have chosen songs that I have liked! . But if he says anything interesting I could post it but I doubt it lol. These will probably be available to listen when the project ends in the end of August.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, where did you find this? It sounds like cheap made up gossip publication. That's why inside band thigs must stay inside, because this happens and "someone said" turns into a truth among fans.
Why Roope left is non of our business. Alexi, Henkka, Jaska, Janne and Daniel were his collegues and it's between them.

What I know for myself is Roope been apart of them for real, he was older than any of them, we know he had disagreement with Alexi, and at COB tv others went to Lake Bodom and he stayed at the studio.
I met him after a concert at 2013, he was nice as much as possible, also drunk.
Some people say he couldn't get his guitars after he left/been fired. All those are rumors and as I said - none of our concern. But what I know is there's never one side guilt in double sided relaitonship. We can't fucking asume Roope was the black sheep or that Alexi was 100% right. Or any of others.

I am sad to see my favourite band since teen years aparted, but also happy to know members are keep working on other projects and I can follow them. For me there are no bad feelins about any of them, I still think they are damn tallented, I enjoyed their music and jackass performances for years, I won't quit on any of them.

I'm guessing you're referring to the latest Roope interview, Helsingin Sanomat is one of the biggest newspapers in finland, it is not a gossip magazine.
The band and Roope (according to Alexi's biography book) signed an agreement not to publicly discuss this whole situation. Roope should not have given these recent interviews where he blames Alexi for everything if he didn't want to have Alexi tell his own version or have some fans think of him critically based on things that came out.

Thing is, people can ruin their friendship and all remain respectable people. For some reason when there is band drama, people wanna choose a side and then can't read or listen to anything after that without confirmation bias, then everything they see/hear proves what they believe. I think Roope lied, but I also think it's none of my business, I can't know what went on, I wasn't there.
For me there are no bad feelins about any of them, I still think they are damn tallented, I enjoyed their music and jackass performances for years, I won't quit on any of them.
Agreed.

, Helsingin Sanomat is one of the biggest newspapers in finland, it is not a gossip magazine.
It doesn't make it true either. Biggest medias like CNN for example are pouring shits on us daily, and most people believe. Not me for sure. I can't accept after almost 20 years together as a band guys just kicked out Roope and kept his guitars for two more years like "he said".
I'm not taking Alexi's side. I am reading his book Chaos, Contol & Guitar right now, and I have to say autor didn't do his job well, or I never knew the guy I worshiped for so many years.

The problem of us fans is we live with expectations medias give us, and when we meet our idols we are blinded, less or more, and still acting like they are saints. They are just human beings like us with luck and money, but they are mortal and everything, they make mistakes.
Also fame changes you.

guys just kicked out Roope and kept his guitars for two more years like "he said".
Even Roope never said that. He has, to my knowledge, only given two interviews after being kicked out, both of which I translated here.

Those interviews were from Yle and HS, yle is government owned with no advertisement, they are not tabloids and rarely do any celebrity interviews whatsoever so I'd say I believe that Roope did actually say those things I translated here.

Also Alexi's biography was, done kinda "pisssing while running" it was disappointing and inaccurate. There was nothing for me though I have been a huge fan of Alexi for ages. I own hundreds of magazines and the journalist has interviewed him before. He actually reused word by word parts from interviews from 2004.

But here: A trustworthy news outlet doesn't guarantee that the person interviewed is being honest. A book being an official biography absolutely can have inaccuracies because of a shitty journalist. And it still doesn't prove we get facts. I can ask them both in person and get lies.

I don't care what happened anymore, I just want idiots to stop talking to me about Roope because I have Alexi's autograph tattooed

I don't care what happened anymore, I just want idiots to stop talking to me about Roope because I have Alexi's autograph tattooed
Ok sorry, but your last line sounds so fake and fangirlish. First, no need to explain all this to me, I said it pretty clear - I dont trust to such kind of interviews. No need to explain to me how they could be fake because I SAID THAT in my original post.

Roope was a member of COB for so many years and like him or not, his guitar is in their music, it can't be erased no matter you are fan of Alexi. I am fan of Alexi, everybody is fan of Alexi. That dude has true spirit and tallent to lead and make everybody likes him.
I don't care what you have tattooed, that's out of the topic. I've been out of this forum for years and decided to check what's going on last days. I had no intention to start any topic about anything, just what I read at the last page somehow fitst to what I read in Alexi's biography and pardon me, expressed my oppinion.

After all, I'm not fan from yesterday, I can get my conclusions and have my own expectations for the band members and situation at all, without any magazines tell me what to think.

I said that tattoo thing as an example because random people come up to me explaining what they think of this situation and it pisses me off.

I get what you're trying to say, just sharing my thoughts on this too. What info we get in interviews is very often not the whole truth and we can all make our own conclusions. No one knows better than the people actually involved and magazines are never reliable enough to use as a basis to judge someone as a person.

What I was trying to say is in my opinion knowing the sites that published latest Roope's interviews after his departure of COB, to me there is no question whether or not he said those things, the first one even had audio attached in finnish. My only doubts are whether or not Roope or Alexi are telling the whole truth. Because it is true that anyone telling anything always tells their side of things in a way that makes them seem a little bit better, people in general arent likely to admit all their faults. It just looks to me that everything doesn't add up and to me Alexi's version sounds more believable because I also saw screenshots of texts from Henkka or Jaska backing him up.

This does not mean I hate Roope, I miss him and wish je would still release music. He is a legend.

Lol calling me an Alexi fangirl and then getting mad and calling a Roope interview fake because you didn't like it :D So, not a fan from yesterday? Neither am I, been actively following this forum since 2008 and only made an account many years later because I didn't think I had anything important to say. I can and have made my own conclusions too, they may not match yours but that's what they are, conclusions.
And I'm a guy by the way.

Last edited: