COB Interviews

Thank you. Seriously. It's such a stupid trend to bash Metallica without any real basis.

Yeah, St. Anger wasn't the best, but it's not even as bad as some people make it out to be. What's more is that it was something they needed to go through in order to get back to what made them great in the first place. They even admitted to seeing it now as being a necessary release of negative energy.

Anyway, I also hope to find some interviews with Roope soon.

Indeed! :D
----

I'd love to see an interview with Roope. Although, sometimes, I need subtitles when he speaks:lol:

Yeah why they never interview Roope???? could be his english skills :D
And i dunno why Metallica is as popular as it is becos i cant sense anything brilliant in their music, maybe i am retarted. :rofl:

Well, no band will ever be loved and appreciated by everyone.

But you might be surprised to find how many musicians in metal today (and even a bit older) were fans and, influenced musically, by Metallica. Here are just a few examples...

Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) was first inspired by them to write songs that could be both mellow and heavy. Particularly the album, "...And Justice For All."

Mårten Hagström (Meshuggah) is heavily influenced by James Hetfield, namely in being a songwriter and not just a guitarist.

Roope was largely influenced by Metallica's early work, and Ride the Lightening is one of his favorite albums.

Alexi and Jaska, when first playing together, bonded musically and jammed over Metallica, as well as other bands. Jaska has mentioned Lars Ulrich being a main influence on him back when he started.

About Roope, it would be definitely :kickass: to see an interview with him. And he's not great with english, but he can manage with it ok, the CRY interview was not that bad, :lol:

He is not interview even in Finnish ever. It would be really nice to get new Roope interview, last long ones are from stone age.

^Yeah, and Roope is a really cool dude. He should definitely get some interviews. And I still demand a ''Roope Latvala explains the world'' DVD :lol:

Well, no band will ever be loved and appreciated by everyone.

But you might be surprised to find how many musicians in metal today (and even a bit older) were fans and, influenced musically, by Metallica. Here are just a few examples...

Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) was first inspired by them to write songs that could be both mellow and heavy. Particularly the album, "...And Justice For All."

Mårten Hagström (Meshuggah) is heavily influenced by James Hetfield, namely in being a songwriter and not just a guitarist.

Roope was largely influenced by Metallica's early work, and Ride the Lightening is one of his favorite albums.

Alexi and Jaska, when first playing together, bonded musically and jammed over Metallica, as well as other bands. Jaska has mentioned Lars Ulrich being a main influence on him back when he started.

Do you notice that all the people you've mentioned beeing influenced by Metallica were influenced by their early and great job (Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets and And Justice For All) and none by the shit they've been publishing lately? Load, Reload and St. Anger suck balls. Metallica weren't big, they were huge. But they WERE. Now they must prove again that they are big, but atm for me they are crap. Although I still listen to that huge band who recorded the first 4 albums. Dunno where they went after that.

^Yeah, and Roope is a really cool dude. He should definitely get some interviews. And I still demand a ''Roope Latvala explains the world'' DVD :lol:

Do you notice that all the people you've mentioned beeing influenced by Metallica were influenced by their early and great job (Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets and And Justice For All) and none by the shit they've been publishing lately? Load, Reload and St. Anger suck balls. Metallica weren't big, they were huge. But they WERE. Now they must prove again that they are big, but atm for me they are crap. Although I still listen to that huge band who recorded the first 4 albums. Dunno where they went after that.

Fair enough. But be sure to take into account that when it comes to these people and them hearing the early material, that's because that's when it first came out, and they were all much younger and influenced by what they heard. As opposed to when the later stuff came out, most already being established musicians and more influential in of themselves than of other people.

I suppose as far as their new album goes, from hearing their recent (and amazing, even according to people who don't even like them anymore) performances, like Pinkpop and Rock am Ring, there is a lot of potential as it sounds like they are back on top of their game, sounding better than they have in ages. Still, when it comes out, I expect the haters to probably hate it, fanboys to love it, and everyone else to fall in between. I don't expect it to change most people's minds, whether or not its a great album. Most people have already made up their minds, one way or another.

ANYWAY...

I'd be interested to know if Janne ever might play piano on a CoB song. Not necessarily cheesy ballad stuff, but maybe even jazzy melodies or creepy ones.

That Roope has gotten Metallica influence is true but it is bilateral. Everyone knows that metallicas black album is influenced by Stone's debut album which Metallica got when they were wisiting Finland in 1988.

^:lol: I had never read such a statement, :lol: Post that on Metallica's forum and prepare to die, :lol:

Fair enough. But be sure to take into account that when it comes to these people and them hearing the early material, that's because that's when it first came out, and they were all much younger and influenced by what they heard. As opposed to when the later stuff came out, most already being established musicians and more influential in of themselves than of other people.

I suppose as far as their new album goes, from hearing their recent (and amazing, even according to people who don't even like them anymore) performances, like Pinkpop and Rock am Ring, there is a lot of potential as it sounds like they are back on top of their game, sounding better than they have in ages. Still, when it comes out, I expect the haters to probably hate it, fanboys to love it, and everyone else to fall in between. I don't expect it to change most people's minds, whether or not its a great album. Most people have already made up their minds, one way or another.

ANYWAY...

I'd be interested to know if Janne ever might play piano on a CoB song. Not necessarily cheesy ballad stuff, but maybe even jazzy melodies or creepy ones.

I don't know about the new album and I have not seen them live, but if all Metallica's legacy was Load, Reload, Garage Inc. and St. Anger James Heithfield would be working at McDonalds. They are making a living and taking advantage of 4 great albums they made, but nowadays they are not that anymore. Next album might prove me wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

i though st anger the songwas pretty cool,i was still quite young and didnt know metal music haha but loved the st anger vibe

I don't know about the new album and I have not seen them live, but if all Metallica's legacy was Load, Reload, Garage Inc. and St. Anger James Heithfield would be working at McDonalds. They are making a living and taking advantage of 4 great albums they made, but nowadays they are not that anymore. Next album might prove me wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

Not really. Garage Inc. was an album of covers, so that doesn't really count, and St. Anger is mediocre. But Load and Reload are very good, they just aren't of a similar sound or genre as the rest of their work. It's almost more Hard Rock. Which doesn't make it any less good, it just means it appeals to different tastes. And like I said, St. Anger was mediocre, but for a band that's been around that long, one bad album is almost expected to happen at some point.

And like I said, when it comes to music, if you've already made up your mind about how you feel about something, like it sounds you have, it won't change your mind. And with a band like Metallica, and a new album, whether or not it's great, they're still going to sound like Metallica. And for some people, that's enough to love or hate it regardless of the quality.

Anyway, what's everyone else think of Janne and whether or not he should maybe do piano sometimes?

If Metallica had sold Load and Reload as rock albums I would have no problem, but they still insisted they were THE metal band and pretended to sell that as great metal. And it isn't. The actual Metallica are a cover band of what they used to be.

About Janne and piano with COB I don't think it'd fit. Leave it for Warmen better IMO.

I just said what I've heard about Metallica. I heard things like they decided to leave solos out of St. Anger because people are dumb enough these days not to respect solos, with these easy nu-metal bands around, so why bother. That kind of lost my respect for them. But no, hands up, I'm not gonna argue because I might be wrong and definitely don't know as much about the band as you do, but that's just the taste that left in my mouth. The only fact I can put on the table is, St. Anger is how it is, ignoring the excuses.

I didn't want to start a discussion about Metallica =/
So...let's just leave it here and carry on posting interviews and stuff about interviews?

I just said what I've heard about Metallica. I heard things like they decided to leave solos out of St. Anger because people are dumb enough these days not to respect solos, with these easy nu-metal bands around, so why bother. That kind of lost my respect for them. But no, hands up, I'm not gonna argue because I might be wrong and definitely don't know as much about the band as you do, but that's just the taste that left in my mouth. The only fact I can put on the table is, St. Anger is how it is, ignoring the excuses.

You are wrong. But, like Deeptallica said...

I didn't want to start a discussion about Metallica =/
So...let's just leave it here and carry on posting interviews and stuff about interviews?

Agreed.