COB Interviews

Okay I'll give it a short try. i dont have much time today and i dont care about well structured sentences. I'll leave out some repetitions.

Children of Bodom Interview with Alexi Laiho
Interview 13.05.1999

My expactations about this interview with Alexi were quite low. He has the reputation of a reticent finn. And I expacted to have the "pleasure" to interview someone totally unsympathetic. But my lucky streak didnt break.

First of all i want to know how COB get along with the situation after the big success of your debut album

It was quite shocking because we didnt expect that. We thought no one will really like it because it has lots of different style and every genre fan base will see too much influence from other fan bases.
Of course we were really happy about the amount of sales. I'm totally satisfied with the 20.000 copies we sold world wide. I would have been satisfied if we reached 1000 sales - 20.000 are brilliant.

Do you think success changed the Band?

Yes in a positive way. None of us became a rock star- we are still the same crazy guys. Success didnt go to our heads. We had the possibility to go on tour, play lots of gigs and meet many people. Today we are not that nervous before live appearances. So it's really a positive influence for us.

How much, do you think, is the record label responsible for your success?

Well they did pretty good promotion for us. spinefarm in finland and nuclear blast in europe did do a great job. Promotion is a very important thing if you release your first output.

Can the band members live from their music (the money they earn from it)?

Oh yeah in a way, yes.

Do you still live with your parents or do you have a real job?

No i dont have a job i still live a my parents house. To live from your music you need more than one well selling first album. But it's my aim to live from our music.

This leads us to your second album: Hatebreeder. In my opinion it sounds similar to Something Wild. I expected the band to do a big step forward but i think you rather did finetuning on the song writing and the production process.

To be honest i dont think it the music is the same! There are differences between both albums. Maybe the bottom line stayed the same but there are differences. Especially the sound-it's not death metal anymore.

Well, the first album wasn't really death metal, was it?

I'm talking about the album's sound! Furthermore I think the songs are better and handier [ innuenDO: might be the wrong word-I meant something like tough]. Also more melodic but still the same aggressiveness

Everyone could expect the songs on Hatebreeder, i wished you put in more surprises.

I know what you are talking about but the Songs came out of us as they were-total naturally. We didn't want to include huge changes-but if changes came out of us we would have recorded them.
We are not that kind of a band that throws everything into disarray just for the sake of changing. We will see maybe the next album will be different.
Okay maybe the new songs [Hatebreeder songs] are similar- but better composed, produced abd recorded.

Both the artworks of Hatebreeder and Something are similar too. is there a concept behind that?

Yes this was our intention. The whole thing is about the Grim Reaper story. In my opinion the Grim Reaper is a well fitting symbol of Heavy Metal. I like to have a character or a figure like Eddie of Iron Maiden.

Does the Reaper have a tiny funny name?
We should name him. Many bands have such a character and I think it's cool.

Is there a story behind your character or is it only a symbol for the band?
It's only a symbol for the band that fits the band's name and our music.

Okay let's switch back to the music. For me Hatebreeder [the album] has the biggest moments when it rocks, in metal head regard. Like in the end of the title song. What has influenced you here?

I like old metal. I intended to do a combination of modern metal sound like black metal and things like Ozzy Osbourne. I love his songs. Yeah Ozzy, WASP, TWISTED SISTER, the rocking things. I have many influences from Power Metal like Judas Priest or Manowar-who i like very much.

Are you the only member who has a side project or do the others have some side projects running as well?

No, only i play in Sinergy and Impaled Nazarene. These arent my bands, arent side projects. if i wanted to do/write other things i would found anew band.

So these band are your way of experimenting with music?

Yeah right. I like to play different metal genres like COB and Impaled Nazarene are. And of course there's the nice side effect. the more you work the more money you get. Well I started with music because I love it but since it became my job I have to make money out of it. [didnt he say he doesnt have real job?].

Okay since we are talking about other bands. how are your connections to other finnish metal bands, finnish bands are very successful these days. there are lot of bands like COB, Senteced, Apocalyptica.....

In finnish metal scene everyone knows each other. I know the guys from Stratovarius who are really cool, or Amorphis and of course Impaled Nazarene.

Rivalry? [it's not the best translation but it means something like theres a competition between finnish bands]

(Hesitating) No....

Sounds not very convincing...

You mean a competition between the bands? No we dont have a special sound like the Göteborg-Sound. Finnish bands have each their individual sound. If you compare COB and Sentenced you see huge differences. and bands who sound like others arent that well known here.

What do you think about your old statement that you hate mankind?

I believe many people misunderstood me. They asked me why I hate men. I'm not a crazy freak who randomly shoots down people on the street. I'm sceptical about other people. I have made many bad experiences so when i meet someone i didnt know before i dont trust him on the first moment. I have to know him better before I find him cool.

But in my opinion this sounded like contradiction. Music is a kind of communication isn't it? [he doesnt explain what he meant by this sounded].

Yeah, of course I want to get in touch with people by music. but i dont want to instantly hang out with my fans. but i want to have good contact to my fans.

I'm very surprised about your behaviour. I expected this interview to end much earlier. because everyone says you are a bad partner for an interview. did you anyhow change in this context?

Yeah my promoters from Nuclear Blast were very pissed because i didnt talk so much. i dont know, it's totally different nowadays. after the second album you have much more to tell. After Something wild I didnt experience very much i could tell the interviewer about. And I dont want to tell bullshit.

I also think musicians owe about this to their fans. [guess it's a totally fucked up sentence ;)]

Yeah, exactly, you hit the nail.

What do you think owe you to your fans?

I like music which conveys feelings and expresses feelings to the listener. For me music was the best way to convey depression and rage and stuff like that. of course i did lots of things to express my feelings and thought but music was always the best way. it's better to cause damage on something. It's good for many metal fans to have this musical way to cope with their negative feelings.

Okay let's slowly come to and end: Which 3 albums did you buy lately?

That's hard. CD i listen a lot to lately are: Bark at the Moon, No rest for the Wicked and the Ultimate Sin by Ozzy.

How is your opinion about Internet, Bandwebsites and CD-Roms?

I those things are great. I dont use the internet because i dont know jack about computers. but it's a great way to distribute information. For the fans it's easier to get those informations from the web instead of music magazines. Especially the music business well get much from the internet. mails and shit are an easier way to contact new bands.

What about noticeable live appearances?
I experienced a lot of bad things live, haha. A good gig is not a question of the number of spectators. I rather play in front of 50 people who freak out than 800 who only listen to the music. I dont know, the greatest of all feelings is of course when you get good reputation after a gig.
We had only really bad gig. It was 1997 [Tavastia 97, as told on CRY]. It was our 6th COB gig a few months after release of Something Wild.
We didnt any coolness and every went wrong. i snapped 3 guitar strings- i changed guitars and everyone was out of tune. Alexander played the main riff of Deadnight Warrior without distortion a repair by him failed. I totally freaked out and wanted to go home,haha. I only thought: SHIT SHIT, let's leave this fuckin venue.
Nowadays i pass my guitar my tech fixes it and i only sing. Or a few gigs ago i cut my forehead on henkkas bass. But the crowd was cool and I didnt care.

What about real personalities? Who would you like to meet, what would you ask the person?

Of course there are lot's of guitar players. I would like to meet to meet Randy Rhoads, Jack E. Lee, Zakk Wylde, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai. I dont know what to ask the now, when i meet them i will come up with some questions.

I a small final Alexi told my I was lucky with my interview because a few weeks ago he had to give lots of interviews a day and he was pissed.
On top of that he was happy about the fact that i was going to meet Amorphis by the and of the day and he asked my to present compliments to them. So his misanthropy cant be that tough. even though I dont like the new album so much [what a faggot ;)] the band reached a new state in my sympathetic scale.

no need to thank especially you Finnish translators ;)

I translated an article about Alexi's cars today from a Finnish magazine called V8.
I do some adds for this mag too so I spotted this from the promo I got today. Enjoy.

10014989037.jpg

Dodge Monaco 1974 &
Pontiac Trans Am GTA 1991

The Brutal Duo

TV series Knight Rider and the movie Blues Brothers made such a big
impact on young Alexi Laiho that the Children Of Bodom headman
purchased the respective starring cars to himself.

Alexi got psyched over America -manufactured cars around the age of
10, and ever since he had the income has he driven yankees, winter or
summer. Actually American cars remain his only freetime hobbies
together with playing and skateboarding. Naturally the guitar virtuoso
shreds off on his guitar during freetime as well.

- I've digged cars a lot since I was a kid, and of course dad's cars
were the coolest, even tho they were Audis and BMW's. Before I was 10
I used to watch Knight Rider from the TV, which was where you had the
coolest car in the world back then, KITT, the black Pontiac Trans Am.
A bit later I was struck by the movie Blues Brothers. I think the Dodge
Monaco is the most badass car ever, remembers Alexi, who since then
has watched the cult film for hundreds of times.

Because it was not possible to purchase an own car yet, Alexi
satisfied his most severe thirst for the hobby hanging around on the
cruisings and reading the mags. Around the time Trans Am became sort
of an obsession for him, which didn't go away when he got his first car.

- My first car was a BMW 320, just a regular teenager's shitbox. I
used it just for going from place to place but meantime spared money
for the real deal. In a couple of years I started seriously checking
out cars, and in the 2000 I found a wine red vintage '88 Pontiac
Firebird with 305 and manual. That was a good one from driveability
and I used it allover the year.

- I made trips all around the world, probably the most memorable one
was when I went to Göteborg with my second band [Sinergy] to record an
album. We had three blokes on the ride, two big guitar cases, people's
suit cases and all that, I still don't know how we managed to pull it
off. We all fit in and arrived as planned.

- The studio was upstairs at the building and the car was parked down
on the yard slot. I woke up in the middle of the night and figured a
bunch of fags were attempted to break into the Firebird. I screamed
gtfo as loud as I could and they ran off. They managed to tear off the
driver's side handle-lock. Plus they had tried to rip out some alarm
devices and cords, which fucked up the flicker on the other side.

- We made some successful errands across Finland with the Firebird.
The downhill started when a friend suggested I could handily switch
the 305 into a 350 TPI -engine.

The consequences were bad. The car spent some years at the garage, and
when Alexi finally took his car back, it would constantly halt to a
total freeze after half a kilometer of driving because of data bugs.

- It took so long that during the wait I had new cars coming and
going. Next one was a '83 Buick Electra farmer, which was practical for
transporting insanely large guitar cases. Only problem with the car was
its bad condition. The Monaco one I bought around the same time in 2003.

- I mentioned Monaco in a Soundi interview when we got carried away
to talk about cars. I jokingly advised them to write to the article
that if someone owns that car, please contact my record label
Spinefarm. Someone finally sent us his ID. The owner told in the phone
that he had a tuned 440 cid for engine, and that was it. Once I entered
the cockpit I knew it was mine, and made a deal.

It was a true Suomi-car in question, a former keel-figure for a
company in Mikkeli, with an original caretake instruction book since
the '90s included. The 440ci had accidentally been drilled to an
oversize of 0,030 and had 10,5l mugs for pistons. The cell caps are
from hte '70s and a notch tighter than normal. The front axel diameter
is harsher as well. Twin exhaust pipes. An inch more than 400bhp, which
comfortably moves the 2-ton pile of a vehicle.

- I drove the Monaco for the first winter, but it felt like reaping
an oldie so I just dropped it. At summer the car is used to taking off
and heading to some town with friends to hang around, also I
participate in the Helsinki cruising event everytime I'm around.

- Monaco has worked smooth and left me on the road just once. I was
driving home from Turku when I realized the indicators don't work at
all. I made the worst mistake and put the window wipers on. They
totally fucked up. Eventually all the revs went down and the car
stopped in the middle of nowhere, as the accumulator emptied due to
broken recharger.

- My phone accumulator was also empty, so I could do was take a walk.
After some time I got desperate and got up right at the next ramp. I
arrived to a little village with a bar. There, a local lady ordered me
a cab and that was good because the locals didn't like a punker like
this dropping by asking for a taxi. The next day we went to get the car
back safe with a friend. Plus to what happened the only thing that
needed fixing was a slightly slided off 727-gearing.

- Monaco looks like a trabant that can't move nowhere. In reality it
reaches the 200km/h mark quite quick. I love messing around with the
tuning cars, and admit that's happened sometimes. I was gonna have the
Monaco painted in the future, but I'm not gonna make it some car show
sight. Just the rust off and same colour on. But you need to keep the
ghetto spirit, Alexi plans.

- After a failed engine-swap I started looking for a new Firebird. I
looked for the V8 magazine on-sales and spotted a '91 Trans Am GTA
350ci. I went for a test ride and right on the first pedal touch it
felt different. That was it.

- The car was in good shape. The engine was standard but it had a
shift kit. Really good driveability. It's a light-weight yet menacing
car. The floor works smooth except on rocks. It's also nice for long
journeys because it doesn't drink up as heavy as Monaco. It's also on
year-round use. I planned to have it painted matt-black and illustrate
an eagle on the front deck, Mad Max style. Most of these cars appear
red so this would be different.

Alexi also has a third car, '91 Caprice farmer, which was at the garage atm.

- I was looking for a newer model Caprice farmer and found one with a
290bhp LTI-engine fitted. It moved around real nicely even as it's a
space-miracle designed for 8 people. It can fit an immense amount of
shit in it as well as people. Driving long distances goes nice and
smooth. I've done some summer festival tours with it as well. Even tho
there's a bus going to the venues, nothing wins this as a festival car.

- At the meantime I used to own a Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab
spikey with a 4,3l V6. Awesome ride that carried a lot of stuff with
you, especially if it wasn't raining. All my cars are for use. I
recently had plans for purchasing a new pickup, but prices are rocket
science. I'm not gonna pay 70k for some fucking spikey, comments Alexi
who has particularly Mopar and GM products close to heart.

Alexi's collection of cars is set to get bigger in the future with a
'69 Charger. Same one from one of Alexi's fave movies, Dukes of Hazard.

Children Of Bodom is a fairly car-fanatic band. Plus to Alexi, the
sound check guy is into yankees, and owns for example Alexi's former
Firebird. The other guitarist is into old Datsunis. Alexi himself has
the duo of cars he's craved for since he was a child.

The beefed-up and de-compressed 440ci engine's neutral running revs
are menacing. Nearly 400bhp sets the floor on a test. It has thus been
properly strengthened.

Monaco is a true Suomi-car and has a good-shaped couch-style bench
fitted in. Alexi thinks it both works and is comfortable. The car will
never any fancier pop-machine placed than a regular casset player,
because the engine voice itself is music to ears.

Helsingin Sanomat International Edition 11.11.08

a.jpg

Children of Bodom - back in Finland for a change

“Damn, this is Malminkartano in Helsinki.”
Alexi Laiho, 29, the songwriter, guitarist and vocalist of Children of Bodom, is rehearsing briefly between the band’s US and European tours. In the USA they were the main number. In Helsinki, they are the warm-up band for Slipknot and Machine Head.
“This round will last until Christmas, and being a warmup band is almost like being on vacation. Just 45 minutes an evening”, Laiho comments.
Bodom's tours have led to sales of 1.2 million records of their “extreme metal” music.
“Extreme metal is heavy, fast, not radio-friendly stuff, where vocals are not pure - just shouting and noise.”
Laiho is proud of hitting the number-one spot on the Finnish list, because that brought extreme metal onto the radio.
“It’s giving the finger to the media. If the listeners decide what they like, then you can’t do anything about it.”

Children of Bodom have been in the top ten in Japan, Germany, and Canada. In the United States, their Blooddrunk album reached number 22. Among Finnish bands only HIM has done better.
“In the United States, you have to be there all the time to get visibility. We started as a warmup band in 2003, we did three rounds a year, and the first round when we were the main act in 2005 was 96 per cent sold out.”
Bodom toured from Los Angeles to New York, not forgetting the smaller towns in between.
“In small places, people who liked us were absolutely amazed when five guys from somewhere around the North Pole showed up to play there.”
Testament, a pioneer in the field was a warmup band for them.

It all started when Alexi’s father took him to a Dire Straits concert.
“I still really like Mark Knopfler. I played violin at the age of seven, but he got me to want a guitar.
At 13 Alexi started to play with the present Bodom drummer Jaska Raatikainen. Tastes changed.
“I heard Metallica, and right away I was, like, ‘wow, that’s great and fast’. Slayer’s guys seemed crazy and Sepultura was a shock. The chaos was strangely appealing.
Next came black metal, and only the most primitive underground demo was considered acceptable as the real thing. Talk about Satanism by criminals was also intriguing.
“It brought mysticism, and I wanted to know what kind of music the guys who were that far out to lunch might make. But it got out of hand, especially in Norway. The music took a back seat when they burned churches and killed each other.”
The original phenomenon faded away, which Laiho feels was a good thing.
“Music is music, and it shouldn’t hurt anybody. Musical talent is also interesting, and in black metal not many knew how to play.”

The versatile Laiho studied at the Oulunkylä Pop and Jazz Conservatory. Their virtuosity was dazzling already on the first Children of Bodom recording.
“We brought something new: extreme metal and shouting, but there was also some old school guitar playing and influences of classical music”, Laiho explains.
Laiho still knows how to play Bach, and the Steve Vai arrangement of Paganini’s violin caprice. Laiho’s and Roope Latvala’s performance of the guitar arrangement of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons on YouTube has received over two million hits. Next he wants to learn how to play bluegrass on the banjo. “Those people are hardcore guys.”
His favourite composer is Mozart.
“The best ever. The final scene of Don Giovanni is such heavy stuff that even I feel anxious when I hear it. It leaves Mayhem and Burzum far behind in malevolence!”

Burzum was a Norwegian black metal band, which inspired the name of the Espoo-based band.
“There was a Lake Bodom on the map. I remembered a murder story, and Bodom sounded like Burzum.”
Laiho does not believe that the sole survivor of the killings that took place at lake Bodom would have heard of the band.
“There is no intention to hurt the feelings of anyone who was involved in the unfortunate event, and this has been understood. We didn’t get any crap about the name.”
With the Bodom lyrics, do you glorify the murderer?
“No. They are horror stories with no basis in fact.”
According to Laiho, the lyrics reflect wrath and aggression.
“And you can’t write lyrics if you fake it.”
Sometimes the agony needs to be produced artificially. The three final songs of the album Are You Ded Yet were not born until Laiho used three of the five last studio days at home, accompanied by whisky bottles.
“When I was out of it long enough, I was down at the bottom again and I despised myself. Then I wrote the three best lyrics of my life, I sang them better than ever, and got them recorded in two days. The feeling was genuine.”
Laiho feels that the sacrifice was small.
“I would do anything for my music.”

On his gigs, Laiho looks for a catharsis - a cleansing, in the manner of the ancient Greek tragedies, where fathers are killed, mothers are wed, and finally one’s own eyes are ripped out.
“You can scream obscenities till you’re red in the face, which has to be accepted in our format.”
The audience often does the same.
“During that 90 minutes, a depressed teenager doesn’t have to go through the crap in his life. Music doesn’t heal, but it can bring a bit of a holiday from the reality of a person’s own life.”
What if the cleansing doesn’t work? Can the extreme darkness of the music and the lyrics create a loop, which only recycles and shares the anguish?
“I haven’t dared think that far”, he ponders.
“I am quite sure that I have been caught in a loop of anguish, but I am living damn well, so it isn’t a problem for me.”

Bones have been broken at times. And in our first meeting, he kept his sunglasses on, because both of his eyes were black. Laiho had climbed up a high fence when he was drunk, and fell down on his face.
“Sometimes I do things that might look pretty bad looking from the side”, he admits.
“But then life goes on.”
The moody Laiho also knows how to have fun.
“On stage we put on a crazy act, and there’s black humour in the lyrics as well.”
Laiho is satisfied with the present composition of the band, which includes extreme metal veteran Roope Latvala.
“A magnificent guitarist. He deserves his own band. it would be a crime if he had to drive a tram for a living.”
He praises Finnish bands for their tenacity. “It is great that HIM and Nightwish have been around for a long time.”
But how long will he still have the strength to do it? Will Laiho be at a clinic like James Hetfield of Metallica when he reaches middle age?
“We’ll see. I don’t get drunk before a gig, but after a gig, we often go crazy.”
He feels the relentlessness of working endless night shifts.
“You need to give 110 per cent, no matter if there’s a panic attack, or a fever, even at a risk to one’s life. The gig would go on even if I died. Then they would haul the zombie on the stage and give it electroshock.”

1135240873751.jpg