COB Interviews

Songs from the first 4 albums they never played live... well, those include:

In the Shadows
Wrath Within
Taste of My Scythe
Northern Comfort
Triple Corpse Hammerblow

Since he said in plural "songs", they will play at least 2 of these! And since the first two albums have been talked about, maybe they'll play In the Shadows and Wrath Within, which are the only ones from those albums never played live. But it could be any of these.

Last edited:
Yup, and that would be amazing. But I rather hope for Taste of my scythe and Triple Corpse Hammerblow. I have never understood why those two songs are so underrated. Oh, and they used to play it live in their early dies, but I'd love to hear The Nail live.

Oh, and just thinking. If I remember right, there has been no "Guitar vs Keyboard" solo since 2008. Wouldn't it be a blast to get one on this tour? Sure, it's really unlikely to happen, but eh, one can dream!

She has this motherly attitude and keeps asking if they're really evil and dark, and just clearly doesn't understand metal. Mainstream thinks even the musicians in a metal band are supposed to preach depression and violence around them, and women definitely take music more personally instead of treating is just as art.

Last edited:
"
With ‘I Worship Chaos’ being your latest release, fans all around me, and online, throughout the media too, have called it somewhat of a return to your earlier sound as on the ‘Hatebreeder’ and ‘Follow the Reaper’ albums, a little more melody and instrumentation than in more recent releases. - See more at: http://metalassault.com/Interviews/...ssist-henkka-blacksmith/#sthash.eIjz2cHF.dpuf
"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: What?? Yeah, this is what the press does with every album, but who the fuck are they fooling here??? I thought HoB was an attempt to go a little bittle back in sound, but I Worship Chaos is an aggressive statement to the fans "we don't give a fuck about your wishes, in fact now we deliberately go the OPPOSITE way with IWC." Seriously, are they deluded or is marketing or why do they say everybody's happy with IWC? In my understanding fans think it's not among their best albums.

Just how the fuck is IWC closer to albums such as Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper? I just want some clarification here. The songs are longer in duration, slower, tuned two full steps lower, there's less musical information in the songs, there's much less solos, the sound and style is different.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the album, but at least I'm sane enough not to blatantly compare it to old gems. Praising the newest album has become a dirty habit, where the last albums are put to bad light. Why not just call it what it is? Everybody can hear IWC is lower in tone, slower, repetitive with less musical sections, with only one memorable melody, but the catchiness comes from it's raw and strangely satisfying riffs. This is what a fan finds, but he's expecting to hear another Hatebreeder or FTR because the press doesn't do much digging other than google for one minute.

Anyway... Henkka claims they'll play many songs from Something Wild and Hatebreeder they never played before. Well, there's only In the Shadows and Wrath Within from those albums they never played before. (Then there's Taste of My Scythe and Northern Comfort from FTR.)

Maybe they're trying to find out if the crowd is psyched about those songs, before starting to write the next album...

But remember, only drunken young ones go crazy on venues, it doesn't necessarily give a direct implication on what would sell. But it will be interesting to see, hopefully it works. Still, it's not neo-classicism that fans are fond of, it's the passion and deep atmosphere. Playing In the Shadows (and singing it) could be a terrible disaster. There's better options like The Nail, Hatebreeder, Taste of My Scythe, Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood... Well, never expected this to happen, so it's exciting. Keeping the next album in mind I think it would be important to see the reaction to playing a never-before-played song off FTR, too.

Last edited:
Yeah that quote made no sense whatsoever. But metal interviewers aren't the smartest ones around, and neither are most members of metal bands. At this point I have very little interest for what musicians have to say. But I did want to know Henkka's version of how things are. He's perhaps the most interviewable of the band.

Are you sure they didn't play in the shadows during first gigs? -97 and early -98 they played whole Something Wild. And when people wanted more they said that there aint no more songs

Then they made the tracks 5, 8 and 9 from Hatebreeder, which they played during the SW era, then the rest for the album.

Then tell me what secret songs are there since Henkka said there's songs from those two albums they've never played live...

They're In the Shadows and Wrath Within. But they could be about to play some others too like Taste of My Scythe, Northern Comfort...

http://www.adlibris.com/fi/kirja/rocktahdet---elamaa-kulissien-takana-9789523211353
Alexi appears in a book again. This book was released last month and I'm currently reading it I just got it from the library. The writer Heta Hyttinen gathered interviews of different finnish rock musicians (Alexi, Tuomas Holopainen, Anssi Kela, Mira Luoti, Lauri Tähkä, Samu Haber, Maija Vilkkumaa, Michael Monroe, Herra Ylppö) into one book, making it look like they're all in the same room talking. It's about the beginning of the career and how it all happened.
Not much new really but some funny stories from Alexi. I'm gonna translate the best parts, I have time now that it's my christmas break :D

Last edited:
Reactions: sleeper666
No Mar
http://www.adlibris.com/fi/kirja/rocktahdet---elamaa-kulissien-takana-9789523211353
Alexi appears in a book again. This book was released last month and I'm currently reading it I just got it from the library. The writer Heta Hyttinen gathered interviews of different finnish rock musicians (Alexi, Tuomas Holopainen, Anssi Kela, Mira Luoti, Lauri Tähkä, Samu Haber, Maija Vilkkumaa, Michael Monroe, Eicca Toppinen) into one book, making it look like they're all in the same room talking. It's about the beginning of the career and how it all happened.
Not much new really but some funny stories from Alexi. I'm gonna translate the best parts, I have time now that it's my christmas break :D
No Marco Heitala, or Emppu or Tarja or Lindroosi or Roope or sad but true, I forgot the name of the Norther singer, the old one or..or..or every single Finnish guitarist, or singer, musician, who ever existed? :p :p

No Marco Heitala, or Emppu or Tarja or Lindroosi or Roope or sad but true, I forgot the name of the Norther singer, the old one or..or..or every single Finnish guitarist, or singer, musician, who ever existed? :p :p

Nah, I think this was meant to have a more diverse approach to finnish rock stars, all of these artists are really familiar to me and p much everyone (personally I fuckin hate Lauri Tähkä lol), they all come from different areas from finland and play different styles and it makes this book interesting. But I would love a finnish metal book made in the same way :D

So this is tour stories from the third chapther of the book I was talking about.
On the road again!

”Things started happening really fast for us before our first album was even out yet. We got the chance to play in Lepakko with Dimmu Borgir. Their album Enthrone Darkness Thriumphant had just come out in 1997, and they were getting really big, the venue was sold out. And suddenly we were there too, and the audience was full of black metal dudes, Dimmu fans. It was totally a big chance for us and I was so fucking nervous.

We really had no business going to the backstage, so we went to our practice room that we had in the basement of Lepakko. We practiced there a little bit even before the show, thinking about the future. Our show was maybe six songs, and right after the first song we got a really big applause. Someone digged it, someone flipped us off. Basic stuff.”

”I think in general the venues are a lot better than they were in 1998, but in some countries you still get the kind of vibe that the locals don't really give a fuck. It feels like we're just interrupting their chilling. Some are the kind of lazy fucks that don't care about anything and once again the tour manager has to run around yelling at people.

In the southern Europe it sometimes is like that, and also in the southern america, they start having siesta in the middle of the day. At first they're all helping around building the stage, but suddenly people disappear somewhere and when our crew goes to ask what's going on they just laugh and don't care. Our ways of working are really different.”

”On our first tour we had more food than I had seen in many years. Of course in the beginning you get the impression that everything is for free, but in reality you have to pay for it later.

But we got good food and drinks, we hadn't, or at least I hadn't, eaten proper meals in a long time. It usually went like this: Me and Alexander would spend the entire day in Lepakko, and then count our money and buy bread and sausages together. It was enough for the whole day, and I would eat that way still, haha. Money at that time was needed in other important things, like cigarettes, coffee and beer.”

”Our first tour abroad was I guess in the beginning of march, 1998. With us there were Hypocrisy, Covenant and Benediction, which was the headliner, which, in my opinion was maybe a little strange because obviously Hypocrisy was the biggest act at the time.

No one had head from us at all, Nuclear Blast had just licensed out first album, and it was just an album among other albums. But we managed to get a lot of good attention there. It was again a place to really show our potential, when the venues were full of people and we had maybe a half an hour time to play.
We didn't really know much about touring because it really was our first proper tour, and the average age in the band was 17-18. So the first tours were about learning. Every night I would watch all the bands play their set, studying their performance; How to stand on stage, what to say in between songs, all kinds of things... So it was kind of like a studying trip. And then, when you learn the basic things, you can start to build your own stage presence. And we didn't even have any money, so all I had in there was my guitar and the cord.”

”I remember how the other bands were super nice to us, especially Hypocrisy and Peter Tägtgren, who would always come up to us, helping and making sure everything is alright. He was a good guy like that, and I guess he saw potential in us or something... I didn't really get to see the Benediction guys very much, but they treated us well. But we weren't really expecting much either, it was more like staying out of the way and doing our thing. Of course we hung out and drunk beer with the other bands after the shows, but we didn't get any help from their crew now that I think of it later.”

”On that first proper tour we received help from the Dimmu guys and Tägtgren too. For example that one time a string of my guitar snapped during a show. I was such a beginner, it had never happened to me before, I didn't know how to handle that kind of situation, so I panicked. We didn't have techs and I only had that one guitar, so what was I supposed to do? I ran backstage and asked if anyone could help me, and that's when Astennu, the guitarist of Dimmu, and also then Covenant, said; ”Take it easy, man. Just go back to stage and sing as long as you need, I'll change the string for you and bring the guitar to you on stage!” Fucking amazing!

And one time my guitar cord broke, and it was the only one that I had managed to buy with my little amounts of money. The techs didn't give a shit, they probably weren't even there then. So Tägtgren walked past, just came up to me in the middle of a song, took the cord, replaced it with a working one, and ran away. I was just like; What the fuck happened? How do such cool rockstars exist? It's part of my personality; not wanting to be a dickhead, but experiences like that truly inspired me to always be as nice and helpful towards opening acts as possible on tour nowadays.”

”Of course at first we did van tours in Finland, but luckily we were successful abroad too very quickly and got away from here. After the first album things started happening so well, that we could afford to tour in a proper bus. But in a bus, where there were three bands at the same time. It wasn't a problem having so many guys in one bus, we would get drunk, play metal and think no one would ever die.

And I must add, at the time we didn't know shit about the rules of touring, for example that you're supposed to choose your own bunk and then use the same one throughout the entire tour. We thought anyone could just lie down wherever. So, on the first night of one of our first tours we went to whatever bunks we wanted to, and we got some negative feedback... I was just like ”Fine, I can sleep on the floor”, I was used to that anyway, but luckily one helpful female singer offered a place for me to sleep next to her... But I'll leave it at that. Thanks to her though, for letting me have a bed to sleep in.”

”There are millions of memorable bus parties, and as I have often said, I think the best ones are the ones that you can't remember. But at least that was absolutely great, when the legendary drummer Hellhammer, who aso plays in Covenant and Mayhem -who is an absolute sweetheart when he's sober- turns completely unpredictable and wants to do arm wrestling when he drinks hard liquors. And if he lost, he would beat you up right away, but it was always a good laugh anyway.

One time me and Alexander, and I guess Jaska was a party hard kind of a guy at the time, were persuaded to arm wrestle Hellhammer and Peter Tägtgren at 5 am. When Hellhammer opened a Vodka bottle saying; ”You guys are not true northerners if you won't stay and drink with me”, of course we had to stay. There we sat drinking warm vodka and armwrestling. ”

”Of course there are other kinds of people too. It was maybe in 2001, when I was left behind on the Tokyo airport, when we were going to the venue. Back then people didn't have cellphones that worked abroad like they do now, and of course mine was dead and I couldn't remember anyone's number. The only number that I could remember was Anssi Kippo's number. (The owner of Astia studios). It was maybe 4 am in finland when I called Kippo, who luckily woke up. And at the time me and Anssi hadn't seen eachother in a couple of years, I think. I explained the situation to him, and asked him to call Spinefarm's Tuula Rossi, who then could call someone, who could call someone...

I don't know how I was left behind, but I think it's the tourmanager's job to count the guys to see if they're all present before leaving. The guys had left in two vans, probably both assuming I was in the other van... So there I was on the airport waiting for several hours, I bought beer and cigarettes, sat on the bus stop and waited. Finally our drunk tour manager showed up and I was so fucking pissed off. It was a one and a half hour drive from the airport to the hotel and I didn't have any credit cards or any info about the hotel, so I was stuck.

The other time I was left behing was when we were touring in Germany. Me and Shakma and our sound guy at the time were still awake at like, six am when the bus stopped to get fuel. We left the bus without telling anyone just to buy some shit at the gas station because at that time we had some money even. I had a hundred euros in my back pocket, but no shoes and we were somewhere in the middle of Europe, where it wasn't exactly very warm.

We tried to call everyone, but obviously everyone was sleeping and the phones were on silent, no one had the driver's phone number either. So what else could we do besides buying beer and sausages. Also we bought me these working gloves and duct tape, which we used to make me shoes. Like a duck's feet!
Luckily Jaska noticed his phone screen flashing -like about an hour after they left. Jaska got up and told the driver and we heard him swearing in the background in german. They came back to pick us up and the driver was really angry.

I could say that even though all of us have had loads of fun on those tours, I don't think it's very smart to drink as much alcohol as COB did ten years ago. I don't know... But at least if you leave the bus, tell the driver and at least put your shoes on.”

Reactions: sleeper666