Cock Rock Metal, And New Locall Death/grind On My Radio Show This Week

hmstrhuey

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
The Gooey Kablooie comes on every Tuseday night from 11:00-2:00 am on CHMR 93.5 fm, or listen on the internet by going to http://www.mun.ca/chmr

Tuesday Feb 10th 2004.

This week on my Album Spotlight I'll be featuring Junkyard's 1989's self titled debut album.

In the late 80's I discovered heavy metal. I remember the year I went to grade seven. Over the summer while I was swimming, or riding my bike the other kids were figuring out what bands were cool. Or actually they were being told what bands were cool by shitty top 40 radio, but either way by the time school started I must have been the only kid who didn't own the new Whitsnake album. I soon remedied that, and began to develop a taste for hard rock. By grade eight I started buying Rip Magazine, and looking for what was out there past Guns and Roses, the band I really credit for turning my tastes toward the hard stuff. In the pages of Rip I discovered alot wicked bands. WASP, Doro Pesh, Sepultura, Voivod, Janes Addiction, Danzig, Metallica, Masters of Reality, and Godflesh to name a few. I also found references to a punk underground., reviews of Bad Brains re-issues, and the first Queer positive attitudes I had ever encountered(in the letter page debate started by a Gay Metalhead who was sick of the homophobic bullshit he was encountering in the Metal scene) . All in all it was a way better magazine than Hit Parader.

One band I discovered in Rip, but never followed up on was Junkyard. I saw the adds, I saw the very excelent review of the first record, I even read the interview, but I never bought the album. For one thing, I never saw their video, and unlike Dangerous Toys, whose video I did see, and records I did buy, they didn't have a cool mascot or anything. In the interview they talked about how some of them knew each other from the punk rock touring circuit. You see guitarist Brian Baker used to play bass in Minor Threat, and guitar in Dag nasty(he was also in the Meat Men, Government Issue, and an early incarnation of Samhain), and guitarist Chris Gates was in the Big Boys.

The band played a mix of L.A. sleaze metal, and southern rock, which was rather appropriate since they formed in Los Angeles, and had two ex-Texans as the core( David Roach (vocals) and Chris Gates). Pat Muzingo joined on drums, and was followed by bassist Clay Anthony. When Brian Baker took up the other guitar duties, the band was compleat. It didn't take them long to get a record deal with Geffen(hoping to reproduce the success they had with G'N"R), and they recorded their dubut with producer Tom Werman (who had also recorded Motly Crue's best album, "Shout at the Devil") in 89. The album came out to critical acclaim, and things were all in place for rock stardom to follow. Except that it didn't. The band slugged it out for a couple of more years, releasing another critically aclaimed album in 91(Sixes, Sevens & Nines), and recording demos for a third, which were later bootleged, but the fame and fortune promised by being a major lable band never showed up. Brian left and joined Bad Religion, and the band broke up.

Lovers of sleazy blues based hard rock, continue to fondly remember Junkyard, and curse the "grunge" movement for killing cock rock, which strikes me as kind of funny since most "grunge" was just cock rock with fuzzy guitars anyway. The band has quite a cult following, and the records themselves aren't that bad at at all. I was first struck by how they sounded like Faster Pussycat(I think it's the vocals that do it), and then reminded of Dangerous toys, but they do a pretty good job of holding their own.

Junkyard put out a live record in 2000, and have a new studio record out now, so this is a perfect time to dicover their roots so you can act smug when they become the next big thing(you don't reall believe it's going to be The Darkness do you?). You don't want to end up like me with Whitesnake.

If you have any kind of fondness for old hair metal of the G'N'R/Faster Pussycat variety,or If you dig the punk bands that some of these guys were into, and wonder what happens when punks get old and drunk, then you should tune in and give this record a listen.

I'll also be playing stuff by Dag Nasty, The Big Boys, Probot(I know what your thinking. Dave Grohl sucks. And usually I'd agree with you, but this is his new record with king Diamond, Tom G.Warrior, Snake, Lemmy, Cronos etc. Now dont get me wrong. this whole thing just reeks of publicity stunt, but the record is actually good. Go hereto find out more), Alice Cooper(check this shit out), Sonata Arctica, new Skull Face and Others, Gorged(new Jesse Walker death grind, also see distro page), and tons more. Go here to make requests, or phone during the show(737-7935).

Go to my web site by following the link to see pictures of the band, and follow links that you cant see here.

www.ironhmstr.cjb.net