Coil-Intro to Heir Apparent

BlackRoseImmortalWaterPark

Black Ros Mortal!! METAL!
Oct 4, 2007
Toronto
Now before I start this thread, I would like to say: Coil is Beautiful and Heir Apparent is one Of the best Opeth songs of all time, if you disagree then there is seriously something wrong. Definately the heaviest song they have done, I heard someone describe it he best way, Masters Apprentices on steroids. And also that Watershed is pure brillance, another amazing album by the best band on the planet haha. It took time but it grew on me and is seriously mindblowing. Hessian Peel is the best song on the album. Mendez said it best, The strongest line-up of all time. Lindgren and Lopez were great but now I feel it was the right time for them to go. Opeth has never had really technical and fast solos or really fast songs, but now that has all changed. As Akerfeldt says in the Watershed Documentary, Axenrot has inspired him for the songs to be faster and heavier. And Akesson's input to the band has really changed things. Akerfeldt's riff writing has never sounded fresher and more polished as they do now. I feel Opeth has yet to make there Ultimate album yet, Still Life is the best album so far, but that is all going to change when the next album is released. The band will continue to go stronger, and come together within a couple of years and relase the greatest album of there career.

Okay to my thread, Any Agalloch fans in the house? Im sure there is like myself. Now did anyone else notice the ending of Coil and intro to Heir Apparent is very similar to the ending of 'In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion' and intro to 'Odal', That really weird/disturbing almost scary sounding noise sounds familar. I feel Opeth's had much more power and builded towards the next song much more than Agalloch did, Well both great bands. I thought this was cool. :headbang:

Am I the only one that thinks Heir Apparent sounds very very much like South of Heaven/Seasons in the Abyss era Slayer? From the opening riff, and subsequent faster riffs, and the first solo just remind me so much of Slayer (except for the vocals of . Not that it is a bad thing, as this is probably slayers peak, and it is a great song. Also Axe reminds me a bit of Dave Lombardo with his drumming style as well.

I was thinking about this last night listening to the album that the first 3 songs consist of
1. Coil - probably the simplest song they have ever written
2. Heir Apparent - probably the heaviest and most complex song they have ever written
3. Lotus Eater - definitely the weirdest song they have ever done
There isnt really a point to this observation, I just thought it was interesting.

Yeah I did notice that Coil into Heir Apparent is sort of like In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion to Odal (I've never been a huge fan of Odal but INTSOOPC is one of the best songs ever:kickass:)

Both transitions are well done.

Am I the only one that thinks Heir Apparent sounds very very much like South of Heaven/Seasons in the Abyss era Slayer? From the opening riff, and subsequent faster riffs, and the first solo just remind me so much of Slayer (except for the vocals of . Not that it is a bad thing, as this is probably slayers peak, and it is a great song. Also Axe reminds me a bit of Dave Lombardo with his drumming style as well.

I was thinking about this last night listening to the album that the first 3 songs consist of
1. Coil - probably the simplest song they have ever written
2. Heir Apparent - probably the heaviest and most complex song they have ever written
3. Lotus Eater - definitely the weirdest song they have ever done
There isnt really a point to this observation, I just thought it was interesting.

You're right. It really sounds like SoH - SiA era Slayer songs, maybe it's why I like it THAT much and think it's in my top 3 Opeth songs of all time.

Lombardo would eat Axe in speed, though (at those times at least :))

Yes, Coil is the perfect intro to Heir Apparent. Also, HA is the heaviest Opeth song, but Masters Apprentices is brutal too.

Axe is an awesome drummer, but the "groove" of Lopez playing is unique. I think he could give a lot more to Opeth's music.

I agree 100% to "Still Life is the best Opeth album". The mix between melodic death metal with progressive rock in this album just OWNS.

Dave Lombardo is probably my favourite drummer of all time, I have gone to see him live every chance I have been able to (4 times, 3 with Fantomas and once with Slayer). I just remember him doing the fast double kick drum break in Angel of Death, which was at the end of a 2 hr concert and he didnt even break a sweat it looked that effortless. I think Fantomas was a bit more challenging.

But Axe seems to me to be somewhere between Dave Lombardo and Danny Carey.

yup Watershed is simply amazing Coil is a brilliant intro to HA,wich might be the best song Opeth has ever done, The lotus eater is just fucking brutal and Axe is OMFG here just like in the rest of the album he is a brilliant drummer and I pretty much enjoy this album thanks to him, I was scare about how this album would be but I can only say that I love this album and I would love it even mor if Porcelain Hearth wasn't on it I don't like that song :mad:

Still I think that MAYH is their best work ever :p