Heir Apparent and Voivod

bosomblob

Jun 4, 2008
So, I just heard Voivod's Phobos cd for the first time, and I'll eat my yarmulka if the first minute of Arise (also a track #2) doesn't sound exactly like the first minute of Heir Apparent.

Anyone else notice this?

Yeah its just the chord - and its a common enough chord to be used in Metal anyway, the rest of the song is very different...

Yeah, but it's right at the beginning, and the sound quality is simillar. Anyway.

EDIT : Well, philno, I just didn't know about it. But thanks for the compliment. I actually love Voivod (and even more since they're from my country, and province), and I see that you wrote that just as a pretext to insult me. Congratulation.

EDIT : Oh right! I forgot to quote, but thanks for replacing what you wrote, my dear. There's actually some good in you.

this has happened before, mike clearly borrowed from the song. he's a voivod fan.

Well, Voivod inspired most of todays Prog Metal including Opeth. I'm not surprised.

EDIT : Well, philno, I just didn't know about it. But thanks for the compliment. I actually love Voivod (and even more since they're from my country, and province), and I see that you wrote that just as a pretext to insult me. Congratulation.

EDIT : Oh right! I forgot to quote, but thanks for replacing what you wrote, my dear. There's actually some good in you.

you can move on now. i misinterpreted your original post.

Same chord, same Tempo. I don't think Mike "ripped it off" it's just how it is with music. You have enough people on the planet and somewhere along the
line people will have the same collective idea. It's human nature. Good observation never the less.

Pretty good band, never listened to "Phobos", the album in question. Always heard it was a bit hit and miss. Angel Rat, Nothingface and The Outer limits are all really good. Illidan, start with Nothingface imo.

Fantastic band VoiVod, I'm not in the least surprised that any modern heavy band would be influenced by them. Their "Dimension Hatross" album is just incredible, completely unique and full of the kind of twists and turns that Opeth are so good at.

Mikael's been giving a "musical nod" to a few of his big influences over the years. He's done Voivod-ish riffs here and there. The beginning riffs of Deliverance are a nod to Voivod as well. I have all their albums, and there's 3 phases of Voivod.
1-War and Pain, Rooooaaaarrr, and Killing Technology- very thrash/death oriented. Been around just as long as the "big 4"
2-Dimension Hatross, Nothingface, Angel Rat, Outer Limits- more prog injected. As IMTOD suggested, start with this era.
3-Negatron, Phobos, Voivod, and Katorz- first 2 with singer /bassist Eric Forrest...more stripped down, industrial in parts, but still proggish. The last 2 have Jason Newsted(longtime friend and fan) joining them. They're more straightfoward, streamlined metal albums.
I'd put them up there with Rush, and Devin Townsend (this is my opinion of course) as "THE" triarchy of Canada's best metal legends of all time.

Yeah, and the Artwork .....(all of it is great, though) fucking amazing stuff!