Question about Heir Apparent...

jrsh92

Jan 8, 2008
So, there have been about 500 questions about Heir Apparent, but this one's different.

Here's a screenshot of the Heir Apparent video:
Picture2.png

It looks pretty normal. Nothing special really, since you can't hear what they're playing.

Now let's look a little bit closer:
Picture1-1.png

?

First of all, this has been mentioned before. Second of all they do use laney amps, im not sure why there using marshall here....i doubt they switched for good though.

They used Laney-amps in the studio and use Marshalls on tour.
Source: "talking metal interview"

But what are those strange white shapes above the amp?!?
I thought your question would have been about that...

Well, the marshalls sound fine and I'm sure they sounded good when actually seeing them right sinister?

It looks pretty normal. Nothing special really, since you can't hear what they're playing.

Now let's look a little bit closer:
Picture1-1.png

?

When I first saw that you posted zoomed in a picture of the amp I thought you were going to say something like "It looks pretty normal. Nothing special really, since you can't hear what they're playing. But, if you looking closely they're not playing anything at all!" And the pic would show the amp's power was off..

I dunno, but yeah Fredrick said in an interview he was using marshalls. Not that great of a choice in my opinion... :erk:

Yeah, I strongly prefer the sound of Laney's and Soldano's to Marshall. They're more expensive but if you already have one, stick with it...
Plus I think Opeth as a band brings in quite a bit of money.

yea I personally think marshalls are a little overrated. Laneys sounded good imho. Marshalls are great and so many great artists have used them, but they just don't have the crunch that some other amps have in my experience with them. I could be wrong though.

well from what i've gathered, in the past the guys were endorsed by laney, or something like that, at least they mainly used them on tour and in the studio. but, i also heard that they rent different amps in different countries, probably to avoid extra overseas shipping costs. i've seen pics of them with marshalls before, but always seen them with laneys in the U.S. lets do pray to god though they stick with laneys, since their deeper and warmer sound do fit opeth's (particularly mike's tone) better.

I noticed the marshalls straight away and just thought that like many festivals (well smaller ones) alot of backine is shared, it helps with changeover times. also as Opeth use the gt6 and gt8 s for thier distorted sounds the marshalls were probably on clean channel any way.
I have only seen Opeth live with laneys but im sure marshall would chuck loads more money thier way for an endorsement, after all why do so many people use them? ive always thought it was because marshall give them amps to brain wash everyone into wanting thier product after all how many 1000s of bands can be wrong? right.
I think alot of marshall tones suck,
Sodano are good
laney have nice even clean tones
Budda just rock big style

But as Opeth use the Amps how they do im sure if they have changed the sound will still be similar:headbang:

Welp it shouldnt really matter because it basically is going to give the same sound as a laney because of the gt8. there is very little difference when you are running the pedal through.

edit: also there have been a fair few opeth gigs where they use marshall.
edit2: who gives a shit

perhapse people who love the sound or who are young guitarists wanting to get as close a sound as they can to Opeth.
I myself would think thier live distorted sounds could be enhanced with amps with a better natural crunch sound and lead sound, however as Opeth use so many variations in ther set it would be very hard to get a consistant performance night agter night if they switched amp settings between clean rythmn and lead as often the slightest of changes to amp settings would react differently to the pedals drive settings. also they would have to programme in all thier sounds again to suit each type of amp setting. when used with a multieffects to create the overdrive and lead sounds it is best to have a really clean amp but driven just hard enough to give a little power tube sound and warmth and also to let the speakers colour the sound by breaking up a bit when driven hard and less so when used in quiet passages or parts.
:)

Fredrik and Mendez was in charge of picking up my Laney at the rehearsal room as I had other obligations, but they forgot it there, idiots! Haha!

We used the rental stuff and it sounded good. We used Marshalls many times before in festivals when we can't have Laneys. They're always top of our list and many times we travel with our own backline but for some festivals we'll have to deal with whatever's available. I like Marshalls too!

Hi Mikael
a little off topic but do you run the GT6 and 8 units into the preamp section of your amp or do you go straight into the effects return bypassing the preamp?
I have found on my Matamp the effects return works best

Do you use the pedal board to force the preamp into distortion by using extra level or is the distortion always effect based on the road.