Question about Heir Apparent...

Fredrik and Mendez being in charge of something....sounds like the plot of a bad sitcom.... :)

If the Boss distortion pedal is so good and they use it live why don't they use it to record with? I'm just wanting to understand how recording works more. Like everyone here says they use the Laney Amps distortion to record, but if Boss's distortion is so good why not use that to record? just curious

because you have more time to tweak and adjust the tones and settings in the studio...and a real tube amp will sound better than a effects pedal 99% of the time. ...in the studio pedals are used to enhance tone...not produce it by themselves. live is a whole different story. That is far more up to the performer's level of comfort with his equipment..and it's obvious Mike is pretty reliant on his boss GT6 or whatever model it is.

The routing on the Boss GT-series (I think they're using GT-8s now, and the GT-10s just came out) is pretty versatile. There's a way of setting it up commonly called the "4 cable method" (for fairly obvious reasons :D) where you can place some of your effects before the amp (wah, overdrive, etc.) and the rest (delay, reverb and whatnot) in the effects loop so you can still use the amp's distortion along with all your effects. Plus they have a relay switch on 'em that'll switch your amp channels, too. I've always been curious why Opeth didn't set up their live gear this way. I think it would give their tone a bit more girth.

They sounded good with the Marshall JVMs in that video though; seems like a good tone for them. And the JVMs are supposed to have a better (or at least cleaner) clean channel than previous Marshalls, whose clean tones have always been a bit lackluster IMHO. They'll do gritty, not-totally-clean alright, but they don't sparkle or chime.

I havent tried the four cable method yet may have to experiment with that as i only have 1 channel on amp, but its a low power studio amp really.

i do think that they could put piezo transducers on some guitars then the accoustic parts might sound better than they do now.

Ps anyone got any good line 6 x3 metal patches

:headbang:

I havent tried the four cable method yet may have to experiment with that as i only have 1 channel on amp, but its a low power studio amp really.

i do think that they could put piezo transducers on some guitars then the accoustic parts might sound better than they do now.

Ps anyone got any good line 6 x3 metal patches

:headbang:

Piezos would be perfect for Opeth, I think, but they'd need to run 'em to a separate amp or direct to the board to really get the full effect.

I have some for the XT, if you can use those. They're warmer, midrangey tones that are really meant to be used with a for-real boost pedal upfront (I use a Boss SD-1 and a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive) but I can send 'em if you want.)

In my opinion, I hope they will use Boogie instead of Laney....

Well, they've been using a Triple Rec in the studio for layering for a while now, and I'm pretty certain it doesn't belong to Fredrik Nordstrom, Andy Sneap, Jens Bogren or Steven Wilson. I don't know if it's Mike's, a rental, or what the deal is. You can hear it pretty prominently on Deliverance. Mesa stuff is stupid expensive in Europe, though; more than twice what we pay in the States. IMHO, my Mesa Stiletto does Opeth-ish tones better than a straight up Rectifier does, and my old Mesa Mark IV copped the Blackwater Park tone pretty well. Mikael could play through anything and sound great, though; dude is a fantastic player.

HI Exocaster
yes id you could send a couple for me to try, i have a couple of pedals that i should be able to get some boost through, i think your patches should work as long as the x3 has the same amp models.
not thought of putting a boost after the line 6 could work for me as the matamp is very responsive that way. i used to use a mesa subway reverb hated lead channel but the clean was awsome especially when cranked, my mate used it live in a emergency a few times and used clean channel nailed and the master nailed to 10 and the drive channel as the clean/ slight crunch channel it worked.
Have you tried the express amps particually the 5:25 ive often wondered if id get away with buying one without my gf making me homeless

have a good weekend :headbang:

@whoever asked about why they don't use pedals in studio: The overdrive of a tube amp sounds better than pedals in most cases, but because the only way to make a tube amp get this good overdrive is to, obviously, overdrive it, the good Laney distortion you're used to on Opeth albums is at an absurdly high sound level. This is nearly impossible to equalize in a live situation, as a 100 watt guitar head will drown out just about anything, and then you need to mic other stuff to catch up with it, etc... though in studio it can be mic'd and mixed to be at the right level. So, they must use something other than that amp's natural overdrive in a live situation, and Boss pedals just do the best simulation

@whoever asked about why they don't use pedals in studio: The overdrive of a tube amp sounds better than pedals in most cases, but because the only way to make a tube amp get this good overdrive is to, obviously, overdrive it, the good Laney distortion you're used to on Opeth albums is at an absurdly high sound level. This is nearly impossible to equalize in a live situation, as a 100 watt guitar head will drown out just about anything, and then you need to mic other stuff to catch up with it, etc... though in studio it can be mic'd and mixed to be at the right level. So, they must use something other than that amp's natural overdrive in a live situation, and Boss pedals just do the best simulation

If I could Rep you, I would. I never knew that and I thought your post was very informative. To me at least :loco:

Must say that it looks much better when the amps have 'laney' across them, though theres no real sound difference (the plus side of getting your sound from pedals)

Here is the deal: they use the amps for monitoring only. what the audience gets is the sound from the boss gt..they connect it directly to the mixer ( maybe with DI). Cheers

^ If that's true, why the hell would they mic up(i'm swedish, don't know the english term actually) the amps?

They use the GT's as distortion pedals in a way.. the clean sound is the amp, random fx+distortion/overdrive/crunch is all in the GT's and prs's.
I use a prs se through my gt-8 inte to my laney and i can get the opeth sound when i feel like it.

Yeh i was pretty sure they ran the GT's into the front of the laneys, amps set with treble and bass at 0, middle at 10, and only using clean channel on the amps, then mic that up to the P.A. Well at least thats where the cables from the gt went when i saw them on the GR tour, though they could of changed it after i saw them

I donät think they have changed it at all.. on the roundhouse dvd they still have the same gear(some new guitars though) mike still uses the gt-6 on roundhouse. cable in the front.

i have to try those amp settings tomorrow though, see what i can do with that ;) after this summer I can probably tell more specific details.. but untill then, can someone ask mike himself?