Tutorial video of Opeth doing Heir Apparent

Also, this proves how incredibly uneducated mikael is in music theory :D

I don't believe it; I think it's just a ruse he puts on when in public. I bet when it's just him and Fred jamming he says stuff like, "okay Fred, now play a B7sus4 and then an E9#11. Mezzo Forte and in hemisemidemiquavers."

wow I thought i'm the only one who couldn't play such solo after 3 years of playing guitar (only acoustic btw) yet almost all of u can't play it here

I've been playing for 3 years and I can only play like 5 Opeth solos :( (Though I wasn't very dedicated for the first 2 years..just played power chord bullshit)

^ i wasted too much time throughout the last 3 years, like 4 months without guitar strings for 5 times or sth like that !!! I really regret it ! i was playing the whole Black Rose Immortal within the first year tho

Cool video. Wow many of the things in the current guitarpro of Heir Apparent are wrong, I'll try to fix them and post it up.

From what I can hear and see of Fredrik playing the "Tricky bit", it goes like this:

|-15-18-15-------------------------------12-15-18-15-12-9-12-15-12-9---------------9-12-15-12-9--|
|----------17------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------18-15-12-15-18-15-12-15-18-----------------------------15-12-9-12-15---------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------------------------------------9-12-15-12-9---------------|
|--------------------8-11-14-11---------------------------------------|
|-15-12-9-----------------------12-9-12-15--------------15-12-9-12----|
|---------11-8-11-14--------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|

But I'm not entirely sure. Feel free to correct on it.

e|-15h18p15-------------------------------12h15h18p15p12\9h12h15p12p9--------|
B|----------17---------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------18p15\12h15h18p15p12h15h18------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|---------------9h12h15p12p9------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------------------------8h11h14p11p8-------------|
G|-15p12p9h12h15--------------15p12p9----------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------14p11p8h11h14--------------------------|

B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-15p12p9h12h15--------------15p12p9-12~------------------------------------|

Thats what I think it sounds like, only one more note :p

HA is one of the best Opeth songs, imo. Monstrous! In this video you can actually see all the amazing fretwork and elegance of players. I also wonder if even Mike can play the solo (i dont mean so-so play but for real, with every note sounding as crisp as when Fredrik does it), i even wonder if he could write it in its entirety as its heard on the record or it was actually Fredrik who improved it and completed it.

"We dont need to tune down to sound heavy", yay, so true, its incredible how they just come out and play those songs live and raw, no crazy equipment and effects, no "image", no backing tracks, no bullshit, and it sounds ten times bigger and better than other bands... As superior as Roger Federer in his glory days :lol::heh::lol:. And indeed,

It's so good that one can feel like the world isn't interested in whatever you think you can contribute with in the music world.

inasmuch as the bigger part of the world is clueless, we can feel privileged to "understand" this music and respond to it emotionally. I think one needs to have something of a talent for that :)

edit: omg, look at mike's look at 1:20, so funny and cute, lol!

I also wonder if even Mike can play the solo (i dont mean so-so play but for real, with every note sounding as crisp as when Fredrik does it), i even wonder if he could write it in its entirety as its heard on the record or it was actually Fredrik who improved it and completed it.

He probably can't play it as good as Fredrik can, from what I've heard Mikael is not interested in shredding. I don't know who wrote the solo though.

e|-15h18p15-------------------------------12h15h18p15p129h12h15p12p9--------|
B|----------17---------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------18p1512h15h18p15p12h15h18------------------------------------|

B|--------------------------------------------------8h11h14p11p8-------------|
G|-15p12p9h12h15--------------15p12p9----------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------14p11p8h11h14--------------------------|

B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-15p12p9h12h15--------------15p12p9-12~------------------------------------|

Thats what I think it sounds like, only one more note :p

Yeah I think you're right. It makes more sence that the final note lands on the beat.

Good work. Now all I have to do is learn to play it. :erk:

im pretty sure fredrik wrote that solo, judging by the firrst half is in harmonic minor, which mike uses very sparingly (especially for a death metal band). it seems to be that fredrikk is playing the solo different than on the album though, listen to the palm muted part, its not exactly the same as on the album.

Yeah, Fredrik usually plays his solos slightly different live. I like that. And I think Mike says on The rehearsal tapes that he played Fredrik the parts and he came up with solos.

i have a microcube they sound amazing when you consider their size...the pre-sets are really good but try and put a multi-pedal effects processor through it and it messes it right up.