Cold/Heat/Humidity effect on guitar?

Aug 6, 2006
Does anyone know the effect (good/bad or other wise) extreem cold, heat or humidity has on a guitar and guitar amp?

I just got a practice space in a storage place and it does not have any heat or air conditioning. I am wondering how leaving my guitar, amp and other equipment in the room will affect the equipment?

Anyone know?

Thank you.

Does anyone know the effect (good/bad or other wise) extreem cold, heat or humidity has on a guitar and guitar amp?

I just got a practice space in a storage place and it does not have any heat or air conditioning. I am wondering how leaving my guitar, amp and other equipment in the room will affect the equipment?

Anyone know?

Thank you.

temperatures are not bad....extreme and fast temperature-changes are.

for guitars keep the humidity between 45 and 55%....to dry air may shrink the fretboard

It depends on the climate really. We shot a video in the summer here (NC) in a non-climate controlled building and by the end of the day everyone's strings were ruined and the cymbals were tarnished. The humidity is pretty damn high here. Things got fucked up so fast you could almost watch it happen. I can only imagine the damage that could have been done over an entire summer.

It really depends on the location.

Like Egan pointed out, the humidity can destroy things - he's in NC.

I'm in SoCal (the place with no seasons), and I never have to worry about climate.

It depends on the climate really. We shot a video in the summer here (NC) in a non-climate controlled building and by the end of the day everyone's strings were ruined and the cymbals were tarnished. The humidity is pretty damn high here. Things got fucked up so fast you could almost watch it happen. I can only imagine the damage that could have been done over an entire summer.

Great, I live in NC and the summers here are brutal!