coldplay- similar to country mates Anathema?

Hmm worrying signs indeed just think though i can think of a band that used to be an underground metal band and now days they are one of the biggest bands in the world they even have the name metal in there name,the point is its the music and the way it is marketed that helps bands if the average Joe Bloggs on the street listened to AFDTE they wouldnt realise it was cd from a metal band Anathema just need more help from record companys no disrespect to music for nations but until they get on a big label that can get the word out well???its the way this shitty world is the point is with the right backing even if they were still a "metal" band with the right backing they can go anywhere.

Just something for the "lads" to chew on there is a band from New Zealand who have a similar problem to you guys they recently changed ther name from Shihad to Pacifier as they are trying to make it big in the states now {shihad sounds like Jihad so hense the change and these guy used to be a full on metal band now they are hard rock but still very good}now Im not sure what you guys are going to do but what ever it is we all have to respect them for it and get behind them they will always be Anathema to those in the loop i still think of Pacifier as Shihad!!

Danny - this didn't sound very good :cry:
my humble opinion doesn't count but - I think it depends on how a band is promoted. It's been harder for Anathema than for other bands. If you have a big label, a good booker, devoted promoters, etc, then it's easier for a band to achieve the status they deserve, and unfortunately, Anathema have never become as poplar as they reall deserve it. I guess a big label would have paid enough money for some big support tours and videos and paid tv stations and stuff, and that's what eventually pays off.
Anathema is one of the most in-depth, most talented, emotional, authentic bands on this planet. I know that lots and lots of people tell you how much your music means to them. It's not about depression but about genuine feelings and there aren't many bands out there capable of playing music like that.
Don't let this business frustrate you. if people listen to AFDTE, they wouldn't think of a 'metal past'- And besides that - there are so many labels that would pay huge amounts of money to sign you and to eventually push the band ... Okay, just my humble opinion, people out there might disagree, but don't hate me for it
Amen... :confused:

Danny, i think i understand what are you trying to say here...
I know that the money that you get from anathema are only enough for you to live through ( you ain't have a rols-royce or something :rolleyes: ), and also can imagine your fair desire to reach more people with your music, considering also the fact that your music SHOULD had reached many-many more people by now...So, if the new stuff that comes from your heart and is revealed as ''music'' sounds to you different from the past, as different as to call it ''a new beggining'', i'm with you man, whatever decision you''ll take...But there is also another fact:
For me, alternative 4, speaking objectively, should had conquered the charts all over the world, and ''fragile dreams'' released as a single should be No1 in all countries for not less than 5 weeks!!!
But of course in reality things turned different...Do i really care??? Believe me, not at all... i wouldn't care if my music wouldn't be heard by people that need to hear a ''hit'' a lot of times to ''catch'' it, and then run in the stores to buy it as a ''single'', because it became popular. I wouldn't care for my music to be heared by ppl that would come to my concert and know only 1 popular song, considering my group as an ''one-hit'' band. I wouldn't care for a mainstream that would make me my favor only when i would go ''with it's tides''. And why i'm saying all this? Coz taking the risk to open the band to a different audience, only for your fair right to be popular, could destroy this very magestic music chemistry between the band members and take you to some other places that you wouldn't like to go from the start...But anyway, this is your choice, i said my opinion considering you as a friend of mine and i wanted to help you with my ideas...anyway as i said, whatever you''do i'm with you...

And after all this, Danny - see what happened to Paradise Lost, I think that now they're pathetic with this fake "fashion" image and completely changed music!
I think that it is importand to be yourself and to change only the things that need to be better!!

Originally posted by Elmarad
For me, alternative 4, speaking objectively, should had conquered the charts all over the world, and ''fragile dreams'' released as a single should be No1 in all countries for not less than 5 weeks!!!

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Surely not THAT popular at all! Imagine Anathema standing between fuckheads like Britney Spears or Backstreet Boys!!! Terrible! I simply don't want those stupid brainless Britney fans to know "my" music, and I SURELY don't want them to like it and have it next to their Boysband collection.

Originally posted by Forlorn Hope
I simply don't want those stupid brainless Britney fans to know "my" music, and I SURELY don't want them to like it and have it next to their Boysband collection.

why? :confused:

This thread is actually getting very interesting..... First of all the stupid britney and boyzone and whatever else fans listen to them cause that's what they get from the tv and the radio. If anathema or any other band got that much promotion by the media they would sell tons of cd's... even mayhem would be fucking trendy. In other words there wouldn't be any britney fans if there wasn't any "britney" promotion... And at the end of the day these kids are just 13-14 years old. What do you expect?

Oh, and i've heard that paradise lost are heading back to the roots with the new one ( roots meaning something like draconian times and not gothic). let's see.....

Originally posted by Forlorn Hope
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Surely not THAT popular at all! Imagine Anathema standing between fuckheads like Britney Spears or Backstreet Boys!!! Terrible! I simply don't want those stupid brainless Britney fans to know "my" music, and I SURELY don't want them to like it and have it next to their Boysband collection.

your still quite young aren't you?

Originally posted by veil the sky
what?

i don't get it!!

Coldplay are a depressed student rock band aimed at every adolescent and his younger brother. anathema are an atmospheric underground band aiming at genuine emotional expression through a music medium aimed at the sensitive side of the metal community. the only similarity at all is that they are depressive.

bollocks
:D :rolleyes:

Anathema are cool.

Coldplay, despite their name, are not.

Danny is also cool.

Go Danny,

Go Anathema,

Make us happy one more time.

i reckon coldplay are good.
i think the name "anathema" has positive and negative connotations. the thing is, the type of stuff we write and our influences have precious little to do with the metal scene. i really appreciate all the people who come to our gigs and listen to our stuff, and i feel they'll stick with us..but there are some who would dismiss us if we didnt have really heavy riffs on an album, calling us "soft"..
and besides...
we will always be the band that did that terrible terrible video for the silent engima! (come on, who here thinks that's good? be honest!)
first priority is to sort the music out, and then we will see..

Originally posted by mehdi.i.e.e.e
err. that's not what i call a proper answer. and come up with that 'it is obvious' thing. come one dude, explain your thoughts.

Well okay, it's just that I don't want that Anathema have to do something with image, for example: in these times you're very cool when you wear a Cradle of Filth shirt, or you will make much "friends" and be popular if you listen to the same cool record as "that other cool guy". There's very little interesting music played on the radio, with a few exceptions, who are not that popular that they would make it to number 1 (Coldplay for example), but still almost everyone knows them. Anathema deserves to have THAT status yes, but once they get TOO well known, I'm afraid they would turn out like all those other bands (Metallica is the best example that pops in my head now). Also I think they would have to leave the depressed lyrics out, and the lyrics are one of the main reasons that Anathema is my favourite band. "Common" people don't really like such things as sad melodies and lyrics (and I can think of MANY people right now, who said it themselves). I just don't want them to change so much, is that so weird? I would be very disappointed if they turn out poppy... top-20 listening people like especially poppy sounds.
And, well, fuck it if no-one understands me, I've had enough of this.

theres no chance of us becoming "pop" as such .
in fact creative control is essential...
as far as i'm concerned the music will just continue on its own path and i never want it to stray. and by the way theres new songs that are very sad, but nice too ("are you there?" is one).
i dont think we'll ever be able to be "huge" (oasis, REM) with songs like that. but we could do better than what we are doing now. and floyd did really well writing dark stuff. but that was a different era.
its important though to appreciate life for what it is...its not about being in a big band is it? its about what you doing and who you are with...i think its that that concerns me most at the moment.

The thing is - metalheads are way more tolerant than people might think. If Anathema didn't have metal riffs on their records - so what?
Have you ever been to a Tori Amos gig? Enya? Clannad? Whoever? Have you seen how many (even very young) people run around there wearing metal shirts?

Originally posted by neph
The thing is - metalheads are way more tolerant than people might think. If Anathema didn't have metal riffs on their records - so what?
Have you ever been to a Tori Amos gig? Enya? Clannad? Whoever? Have you seen how many (even very young) people run around there wearing metal shirts?

I agree... I think most metalheads are quite tolerant, open-minded and diverse. There are close-minded metalheads... but there are close-minded people in every genre.

Coldplay is awesome, btw.