coldplay- similar to country mates Anathema?

Originally posted by Forlorn Hope
*sigh*....Well I'm starting to think I'm the only untrue fan in here

ah, you said enough there. now i got your point, you're an emotional intellectual aren't you :lol:

Originally posted by pagan2002

its important though to appreciate life for what it is...its not about being in a big band is it? its about what you doing and who you are with...i think its that that concerns me most at the moment. [/B]

Nice to hear. For me ,and most fans I guess, Anathema doesn't need to become bigger,(there even seems to be at least one who's horrified by the thought you will be alongside Spears and co in the charts), but I don't like to see you quit this band 'cause you're getting fed up with always having to lock yourself up in trains to get somewhere....(brilliant concert though).:D

Originally posted by pagan2002
theres no chance of us becoming "pop" as such .
in fact creative control is essential...
as far as i'm concerned the music will just continue on its own path and i never want it to stray. and by the way theres new songs that are very sad, but nice too ("are you there?" is one).
i dont think we'll ever be able to be "huge" (oasis, REM) with songs like that. but we could do better than what we are doing now. and floyd did really well writing dark stuff. but that was a different era.
its important though to appreciate life for what it is...its not about being in a big band is it? its about what you doing and who you are with...i think its that that concerns me most at the moment.

Oh man, again you almost make me cry (well, that's not a very hard affair to do, but..) :rolleyes:
But anyway, what I wanted to say, is that whatever you'll do (and I'm talkin about your music now!) there will be a lot(!) of people to really appreciate your art, (and you know it, don't you..?! ;) ) and I'm a bit jealous someone can express him(her)self so descriptively and strongly..so you should be happy to having that gift..!! :)

I think this is the age old question in terms of art and culture: Is popularity indicative of good art, or does popularity in its very essence mean a dumbing down for the digestiblility of the masses?

Personally I believe that popularity in music seems to be necessary for music to inspire. Very few people know of the many great jazz bands or progressive bands that have written and performed the most transcendental music. Instead most musicians and the public are inspired by those groups and muscians that made it really big. I think music stands alone in this predicament- great literature, movies, art etc., always seem to find a audience even if it takes a life time for the recognition a book or a painting really deserves. Thus, I think Anathema would do themselves justice by trying to acheive at least a sizeable non metal audience. I really think Anathema makes some of the best music I have heard, and really wouldnt we all rather hear an emotional song from anathema on the radio- rather than some shit from Creed or Nickleback etc?

Originally posted by Forlorn Hope
Ofcourse, but do the masses want to hear the kind of emotional songs they make?

Yes... or aren't they capable of relating to it? Sometimes I doubt it if you look at the charts and what most people listen to... very easy-going stuff, catchy - I really wonder whether they don't want to or simply can't understand music that reflects strong emotions - is it that they don't want to confront themselves with the darker kind of emotions? Or just aren't able to do it... :confused:

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
I agree... I think most metalheads are quite tolerant, open-minded and diverse.

I think this depends on the area of your experience. here in Monterrey we have an even-sided share of both things, then when I saw Helloween at New York most people I spoke to were quite shallow in taste, and not a few even threatened me for having short hair.

Originally posted by neph
is it that they don't want to confront themselves with the darker kind of emotions? Or just aren't able to do it... :confused:

tell me you did not say that. PLEASE tell me you did NOT say that.

I love this thread.. at last a good discussion.... First of all i have to agree with danny on everything, not because he is in the band but because he shows how open minded he is... the only way to produce the best music is to do what your heart tells you . no one can expect the lads to start playing death metal again... they don't feel like it and that's it. if you don't like that, that's fine. the fact is that this band has never released a bad record (in my opinion) and that's what matters. trip-hop, punk, black metal, i don't care how you call their music, cause it's great and i only care about that....
open your mind to anything(music, books,movies,sports,etc.)... if you don't like it just leave it... simple!

Where the hell is Dunc? post something maaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn!!!!!

and as for my opinion on the issue...i always want my favorite bands to be appreciated by everyone and to be loved. i want anathema to be as big as metallica, or, like, britney spears...i want them to make millions and see their faces in my local newspaper...you see im not that kind of a fucking metalhead elitist.

sometimes even the bandmembers disagree with me on this, but thats how i feel...

there's nothing wrong with that - the bands who play good music to have more money, but more often - money spoil both the music and the people, don't you think?
Anyways with all my heart I wish to Danny and co that financial success, coz they really deserve it!!

Can see both sides of things here-I've been a fan since 91-almost since the start and i've seen the band close to 30 times live.Now I may be in the minority here but those early days to me were something very special-I LOVED the Serenade era-ok its gone now-I can appreciate that-but i hope never forgotten because that really was an amazing time and Anathema stood apart then-even if the music was heavy as fuck-and believe me Live there wrere none heavier at that time!

I've seen the band develop over the years and I still love what they do now-just a little concerned Danny over your "time to start afresh" comments-I think maybe if you want to completley shake off the metal connotations then perhaps you need to change the name of the band.I dont want that and i'm sure the vast majority of your fans dont want that either-I Like the fact there still is a metal shade to your music-that is what still sets you apart from the more indie orientated bands-to be honest Anathema i feel are Unique in what they do but well i totally understand its up to you guys how and where you go from here.

Originally posted by mehdi.i.e.e.e
nah, in my opinion it has nothing to do with anathema being too sad. it's just because they released 2 metal albums and because of that they'll be seen as a metal band for the rest of their life. and that's sad :cry:

Bollocks. Open your mind. If the record industry thougt they could make anathema sell 25 million records they would'nt give a shit if they had released 8 grindcore albums before turning "soft". These greedy bastards care about nothing but money.

Some bands with enormous emotional carriage pull it through though, such as radiohead and Floyd. I guess luck means a lot in this game too, because the talent and potential of anathema is unquestionable. Definitely.

But I won't say I completely disagree with you, because it is true that having a background/bandname as anathema does mean a great deal. I just don't think it means that much in the end.

Originally posted by EdenKriss
Bollocks. Open your mind. If the record industry thougt they could make anathema sell 25 million records they would'nt give a shit if they had released 8 grindcore albums before turning "soft". These greedy bastards care about nothing but money.

Well, i think it would be good for such a band that released 8 grindcorealbums. they would be notorious when they sign such a label. It's like Cradle, lots of them knows them from the T-shirts, and therefore people buy the albums. It's like Maiden with Eddie. Slipknot and their masks. Kiss and their painted faces. Malmsteen with his guitar. Def Leppard with a onehanded drummer... And the band with their grindcorealbums. ;)

But besides that, the recordcompanies can sell millions of anathema-albums. It doesn't care what band or person, everything sells if it's enough sponsored. If they would make a commercial for the new Anathema-album, and it would be broadcasted on MTV worldwide(if they want to spend enough money), they're launched.

Originally posted by EdenKriss

Some bands with enormous emotional carriage pull it through though, such as radiohead and Floyd. I guess luck means a lot in this game too, because the talent and potential of anathema is unquestionable. Definitely.

But I won't say I completely disagree with you, because it is true that having a background/bandname as anathema does mean a great deal. I just don't think it means that much in the end.

first, calm down mate, if your mum has been bad to you today, don't blame it on me :lol:

for what comes to anathema, you forget that success is also about media. and you have to know that rock magazines are really contemptuous about everything that has to do with metal. and anathema is still labelled as a metal band, and have a fan base which is mostly made of metalheads. look, i heard loads of people [not metalheads] who heard some of the latest albums and asking me if it's 'doom metal', cause that's what they read about anathema.

and please don't compare anathema's first albums and pink floyd's or radiohead's, there's a huge difference. some bands could get signed on a major that would do shit load of promotion, but if the rock media don't promote them, at the end of the day the success is pretty fucked up.

sorry to disappoint you.

Originally posted by mehdi.i.e.e.e

for what comes to anathema, you forget that success is also about media. and you have to know that rock magazines are really contemptuous about everything that has to do with metal. and anathema is still labelled as a metal band, and have a fan base which is mostly made of metalheads. look, i heard loads of people [not metalheads] who heard some of the latest albums and asking me if it's 'doom metal', cause that's what they read about anathema.

and please don't compare anathema's first albums and pink floyd's or radiohead's, there's a huge difference. some bands could get signed on a major that would do shit load of promotion, but if the rock media don't promote them, at the end of the day the success is pretty fucked up.

sorry to disappoint you.

Uhm, but it's not the case that rock mags featue stuff they like, but the stuff they get paid for. The deals go like: the labels assure them to pay for a certain amounts of ads (because that's what mags depend upon), and the mag assures them to publish three articles or something. Studio reports are paid for, additional interviews on tour, extra features, etc. What you read in mags, and the amount of articles about a band, pretty much shows how much the label has paid for it. And payments have an impact on the ratings of albums and how much a mag tries to push a band. Even smaller mags work like that. And if as a writer you try to put down your own opinion, the article will either be changed or written by someone who writes something that accounts for the label's payment. I work for several mags and experienced it myself. Nice business, that is...