Colin Richardson

For those interested in Colin Richardson, there is an article/interview with him in this months Guitarist magazine (Issue 336) - saw it on there site, going to have to pick up a copy to read it next time I'm out and about.

Just grabbed this today actually. Nothing mind blowing in it. Basically:

Tube screamer into 6505 into Mesa Rectifier cab.
Throws a 57 in the centre of each speaker to find the best one in the cab.
SM57 and MD421 right up on the cab, recorded to 2 tracks so he can blend it later.
Doesn't like room mic's.
Likes to get the amp eq right but isn't afraid to eq the shit out of something in the mix if it's not been recorded properly.
Likes to try different guitars to get the sound right.
Volume on 6505 is about 3-4. Loud enough to get the cab working but quiet enough that you can still go into the room.
On the new Rise To Remain record he's been breaking up the 6 string chords down to 2 strings at a time as they weren't sounding in tune when they did all the strings at once.
Thinks guitarists are getting better.
The favourite mixes he's done are BFMV's The Poison and Chimera's Self Titled.

Would love to read a really in depth interview with Colin. He's my favourite metal producer.

Trevoire520

thx for info

but i can not get this magazine//

is it written in details how does he mic cab ?
could you explain ?

thx

Not really any more info than what I've already wrote dude, there's a picture showing the mic's on the cab:
DSC00078.jpg

On the new Rise To Remain record he's been breaking up the 6 string chords down to 2 strings at a time as they weren't sounding in tune when they did all the strings at once.

This. I've heard this from a guy who sat in on some of the sessions for that album, said some crazy stuff like this happened all the time. Changing strings 2-3 times a day, completely removing strings not being used, leaving only one string on for single-string riffs, tracking octaves below and above of lead melodies whenever possible, dividing up chords into multiple sections as mentioned, etc.

Pretty sure it's just as illegal as sharing a normal song from the album. If you paid for it, others are supposed to pay for it too.

http://med.stanford.edu/irt/set/policies/course_content_access.html
That's the US law, regarding Education.

I'm not 100% on the British one and can't find a good link yet.
All of my materials are stored within the Blackboard site - and anything that we're likely to get sued over is only shown from my personal computer at the University (not shared with the students).

Probably, if you shared it - you would be breaking the law because you'd have to be related to an educational establishment and have real grounds for the distribution of those materials on the Internet and not the internal intranet.

(by all means.. share away..)

that picture shows nothing though. it all comes to what amp settings you have, and the guitar you're playing.
He does prefer the Ibanez tubescreamer and records the guitars with the NS-2 but those settings on the picture were just for that record i suppose...or maybe for that song they were doing.

it's amazing all the time Colin takes to get the right sound out of anything. like changing the drum shells after every take, or changing them after playing one section of the song. and you might think..."really??" yeah...really. it's the closest you'll get to "perfection".

He tries every possible combination of the following to get the right sound:
Guitar > Cable > Pedals > Amp > Speaker Cable > Cab > Mic > Preamp

and that right there, takes about 1 to 3 days of recording the same riff over and over with the right label for the combination used to get "the" sound.

that is until the cleaning lady moves things around and you have to start over hahaha :lol:

it's amazing all the time Colin takes to get the right sound out of anything. like changing the drum shells after every take, or changing them after playing one section of the song. and you might think..."really??" yeah...really. it's the closest you'll get to "perfection".

Exactly, I've heard of him having a bassist change his low string, not because it was out of tune or anything, but because "it riff sounded better 5 takes ago."

The Rise To Remain guys said that if they broke down the actual time spent tracking guitars/bass, it would be like 1 week of playing, 1 week of tuning, and 2 weeks of changing strings.

Speaking of gtr strings, he favored lighter strings on that one, 9 or 10-46 (source wasn't sure) on a PRS in Eb/drop Db.