Colour Haze is officially the greatest band ever, seriously.

Review of "Tempel" on Hellride:

Kevin McHugh said:
Germany's Masters of Heavy Psychedelia, Colour Haze, are finally back after a two-year absence, and they've got a few surprises up their sleeves. The patented Colour Haze sound is there and in spades, but as all of us fanatics know, the group doesn't like to sit on its laurels, recycling the past out of laziness or greed. This go round they've brought new influences to the fore, experimented with their approach, and brought forth a squalling psychedelic baby, wreathed in hashish visions and ready to point the way utopia, one tune at a time.

'Tempel' weaves the fuzzy guitars we love so well with some amazingly adept drumming and plenty of jazz structure to create a unique rock vision of dense elaboration and intricacy. The songs are shorter - note how I didn't say short - than we've come to expect since the release of 'Colour Haze' and 'Los Sounds de Krauts." There are no epic mind flights like 'Peace! Brothers and Sisters' this time. Instead, the ideas have collapsed in on themselves, packing more of a punch into 6 minutes than previous albums did, rejoicing in experimentation and complexity. The lyrics are personal, from the ecotopia of 'Earth' to the loving encouragement of 'Mind.' The overall feeling is hermetic, as if we are with the group as they breathe and dream music in their own world sealed far away from the horrors and anxiety of modern life, joining in with the group's sonic dreams and in the sweet afterglow of exhaustion once those dreams have been painstakingly rendered.

'Aquamaria' begins the album in classic fashion with heavy riffage slowly developing out of void, an organic jam with the opulent clench and release that we love so well. The title track opens with gentle harmonics building up to a peak of heavy riffing, then declining down to 'Gold and Silver,' with its lyrics of alienation from materialist culture and some grooving, gutsy Hammond organ. It's a welcome addition to the instrumental lineup which should be made permanent. 'Ozean' is a dreamy, atmospheric guitar voyage while 'Stratofarm' begins as a gentle hymn before morphing into.....um.......something that I really can't describe too well.

Colour Haze is one of the planet's foremost practitioners of heavy psychedelia, a branch of the stoner/doom tree too seldom visited by those infatuated with noise and chaos. The group are master musicians, cinematically conjuring visions from the air using melody, intelligence, and pure musical chops as their tools. Is 'Tempel' perfect? No. Frankly, I think that Stefan's vocal talents are better used in straight singing, rather than in falsetto "do do do dos," that pepper the album, but that's a matter of taste. The recording quality is good; in fact, Mani's drums sound better and more natural than on 2004's 'Colour Haze,' though I think the guitars sound a bit more muffled on 'Tempel.' It's a bit of a tossup, really. But one thing is definite, Colour Haze has produced another masterwork, breaking free of many of the constraints that marked their earlier work and setting the stage for genius to come. One of the year's best!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

wtf doom?! I don't even know if I'd qualify them as metal, they are more like FUCKING AWESOME am I rite.

BREADFAN! TELL ME WHAT DO TO TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT I REALLY NEEEED YAAAAAAA

DUN DUN DUN DUN

BREADFAN!!!

or something

I am thoroughly obsessed with this band, have been listening to the s/t, Periscope, and Los Sounds De Krauts constantly since getting them all in staggered purchases. Just ordered the new one + Tempel because GOD FUCKING DAMMIT I'm hooked.

What I like the most is that each album seems pretty good at first, very straightforward stuff that doesn't take long to get into. But upon repeated listens the magic of the group really comes into focus, it's like all 3 of them are of one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.

Let's talk business for a minute: I own "Colour Haze" and "Ewige Blumenkraft", I'm gonna grab "Tempel" as soon as fucking possible. Am I still missing their best material? How bad do I need "Los Dung del Sauerkraut" and "Periscope"?

NADatar said:
What I like the most is that each album seems pretty good at first, very straightforward stuff that doesn't take long to get into. But upon repeated listens the magic of the group really comes into focus, it's like all 3 of them are of one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.

"The door is ajar."

NADatar said:
I am thoroughly obsessed with this band, have been listening to the s/t, Periscope, and Los Sounds De Krauts constantly since getting them all in staggered purchases. Just ordered the new one + Tempel because GOD FUCKING DAMMIT I'm hooked.
Two questions:

1. Where did you order the new one from?
2. Which of their CDs should I buy next (the only one I have is S/T)?

Gracias.

Zod

Aquamaria was apparantly just something they created through a jam when they got together in the studio. Even though I still think it's a great song (reminiscent of Los Sounds de Krauts as MFJ put it), imo the highlights are definitely on the rest of the album. But I think that shows the incredible chemistry these guys have together.

Chromatose said:
Aquamaria was apparantly just something they created through a jam when they got together in the studio. Even though I still think it's a great song (reminiscent of Los Sounds de Krauts as MFJ put it), imo the highlights are definitely on the rest of the album. But I think that shows the incredible chemistry these guys have together.

Yes, that's exactly what I got from this song.

I wouldn't really judge this band on individual songs... s/t and Periscope work best as albums, and the others sound like they would as well!