It's official...Enslaved is the greatest band ever!

Till Fjalls

¥¤ÆZµ
May 21, 2001
* Toronto *
fade.to
Well, after hearing the new album about 20 or so times, I can honestly say it's the best piece of metal I've ever heard. Everything about it is nearly perfect...The awesome melodies, the twisted chords, the cool clean passages, the clean vocals, the perfect incorporation of odd time sigs...I can't think of anything better!

It's the first Enslaved album I've heard where I can't name a single song that could be classified as filler. I haven't felt this in awe of an album since MAYH. It's like a whole new world has opened up musically...I predicted this after hearing the track "queen of night" which was released a while ago. But I had no idea that I would ever think that that particular song would turn out to be the weakest on the album! hehe, at least in my opinion.

Anyway, I think they've outdone themselves, and they deserve a little respect. It seems they fairly under-respected, when I think they should be at the forefront of metal (and prog) in terms of ingenuity, emotion, and creative vision. If you care, let us hear! If not, that's okay, at least I know it has been a musical milestone in my life...

NP: Enslaved-As Fire Swept Clean The Earth (Greatest song ever composed!)

Even though this is offtopic. I totally agree that this album is standing
out very much. They are coming to the roots of black metal combining
with the concept of modern developed ideas. Something out of Burzum.
May be a lot of noize. It has this Burzum noize that is very attractive.

Till Fjalls said:
Well, after hearing the new album about 20 or so times, I can honestly say it's the best piece of metal I've ever heard. Everything about it is nearly perfect...The awesome melodies, the twisted chords, the cool clean passages, the clean vocals, the perfect incorporation of odd time sigs...I can't think of anything better!

It's the first Enslaved album I've heard where I can't name a single song that could be classified as filler. I haven't felt this in awe of an album since MAYH. It's like a whole new world has opened up musically...I predicted this after hearing the track "queen of night" which was released a while ago. But I had no idea that I would ever think that that particular song would turn out to be the weakest on the album! hehe, at least in my opinion.

Anyway, I think they've outdone themselves, and they deserve a little respect. It seems they fairly under-respected, when I think they should be at the forefront of metal (and prog) in terms of ingenuity, emotion, and creative vision. If you care, let us hear! If not, that's okay, at least I know it has been a musical milestone in my life...

NP: Enslaved-As Fire Swept Clean The Earth (Greatest song ever composed!)

It's a good album, but it's by no means the best piece of metal ever. In fact, I think it's a little overrated. Monumension was much better, this album is too... unadventurous.

The new Solefald and Ephel Duath albums are MUCH better.

Below The Lights is amazing, I agree (although I wouldn't say it makes them the best metal band :D ). It is one of those albums that make me ask myself how people can NOT want to listen to this kind of music...

Oh, and "As Fire Swept Clean The Earth" is now among my favourite metal songs ever.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get lyrics to the album? They're not in the booklet...

http://www.metalbite.com has my review of "Below The Lights."

Anyway, it is a fantastic album, no doubt. I think Mardraum and Monumension were better, but this trails behind not to far and it way better than 95% of the music coming out.

As for the comment about Solefald and Ephel Duath. I disagree. Solefald is just meh, and the Ephel Duath is awesome (but not better).

FINALLY got it today,

I just listened to "As fire Swept Clean The Earth" and I can fairly say it's the best song I've listened this year so far...Seriously, I can't get enough of it.

It will probably stand tall as my favorite 2003 record released

It's not as experimental as the last cd, but its very good none the less. I still love Eld and their split with Emperor the best though :)

I think aside from tracks 2 and 6 it's pretty unremarkable. And the production grates like hell.