Greatest Album Ever

Obviously this is a pretty tough question. The only way I know to come to a decision is to think of what album I'd choose if I could only listen to one from now on. It was tough, but I think it's a good choice.

3dd80c6f0bb4b1eba854e9ec4b74763d_fu.jpg

You sir, speak truth. Heed the word of the Ozzman. The Wall isn't actually my favorite Floyd album, but it's still incredible.

I hate how people say most of The Wall is filler when it GOES ALONG WITH THE FUCKING STORY

What the fuck

Don't try and convince them. The Floyd goes beyond all reason and logic. They're simply awesome.

meddle.jpg

333.jpg

B000003S1E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Those are probably the best non-metal albums that I listen to. I can't say "best metal album". There really isn't a best.

Actually, Meddle is my favorite Floyd album. It was the first album where they started to move into their own recognizable territory. It's a remarkable record, with remarkable songwriting, and one of the most epic songs ever.

Yes my friends; Echoes.

That's actually my favorite Emperor record.

Thank you.

Anyway, my votes go to (I can't pick just one):

Pink Floyd- Meddle, The Wall, Dark Side, The Final Cut, Wish You Were Here
Jethro Tull- Heavy Horses, Songs From the Wood, Minstrel in the Gallery, Thick As a Brick
Genesis- Selling England By the Pound, Foxtrot, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Tom Waits- Rain Dogs, Closing Time, The Heart of Saturday Night, Alice, Nighthawks, I could go on...
Bruce Springsteen- Greetings From Asbury Park, Darkness On the Edge of Town, The Ghost of Tom Joad, Born To Run

There are so many for metal, I don't think I could pick. And classic rock/folk is really my first love, so all these albums come first.

ok... so reasons why MOP is the greatest album ever:

Epic song writing that doesn't sound long winded or pretentious. Often when bands start reaching the 8 minute mark its full of dull meandering riffs or it sounds really forced. Not so with MOP. Every riff is essential to the structure of the song.

Every second of every track is memorable and interesting.

The album is enormously influential.

The production, drums, vocals, lyrics, riffs, everything is excellent. Honestly I cannot think of a more well made and well rounded album of any genre of popular music.

MOP may not be my favorite album but I can't think of a better one.

For a metal board, there is a shit load of you who apparently don't like metal most .... but w/e

d92749s42a9.jpg

Quite simply, lyrically this is the darkest, most emotive album of all time. Vocals are delivered with pure conviction and passion and flow link by link with every beat of the music. Composition is intricate, layered and without peer. Instrumentally, all of this is matched and more bringing, diverse aspects of music to the epitome of death metal.

Can't be topped ... by anything in art at all tbhimo

For a metal board, there is a shit load of you who apparently don't like metal most .... but w/e

d92749s42a9.jpg

Quite simply, lyrically this is the darkest, most emotive album of all time. Vocals are delivered with pure conviction and passion and flow link by link with every beat of the music. Composition is intricate, layered and without peer. Instrumentally, all of this is matched and more bringing, diverse aspects of music to the epitome of death metal.

Can't be topped ... by anything in art at all tbhimo

If I was forced to choose just one at gun point this would be it.

I was justified in posting an image because Nightfall, in addition to being the bomb diggidy, has a sweet fucking cover the captures the feel of the album perfectly.

What is your problem? I'm on dialup and I don't mind people posting album covers.

Christ. If you don't like it, disable images in posts rather than shitting up the thread.

Well, I was mostly agreeing with Evil? on the point that no one seems to have read my initial post which says, "...and why."

I don't care so much about the posting of album covers, although the big ones are really fucking annoying. However, the main reason I made this thread is to get discussion going on why you think it is the greatest of all time.

I really can't even answer this question. But, it would definitely be a metal album. Potential albums I might choose:

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Demilich - Nespithe
Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha

But I really do find it impossible to choose one single favorite album of mine.

Well, I was mostly agreeing with Evil? on the point that no one seems to have read my initial post which says, "...and why."

It has to do with people not following the thread instructions and just posting images.

Ah, yes. I am guilty of that.

Anyway, I picked Nightfall because it captures so well the feeling of "epic doom". The first track, Gothic Stone, may be just a short into to the first song, but it has an awesomely dark, ominous tone to it. Really helps establish the sense of emptiness, dread and impending doom. It flows right into The Well of Souls, which is my favorite Candlemass song (perhaps favorite song all together). The story it tells is perfect for a doom album, the the lyrics are phenomenal (they are on the whole album, but here especially). The last verse, in particular, really stands out to me:

A new day's dawn, holy light
Sunlight redeems
slays the dark, warms and heals, makes you
see nightmares' terror is back in your dreams
Sleep well my friend 'cause
this tale's now to end, don't
believe our world is as safe's we pretend

Awesome. At The Gallows End, Dark are the Veils of Death Mourners Lament and Bewitched also tell stories that capture the doom aesthetic with great success (especially Bewitched, imo). And, of course, the biggest reason why Candlemass own so fucking hard: The riffs are fucking kick-ass all throughout the album. (On The Well of Souls and Samarithan especially).

A lot of people might say that Samarithan is one their finest songs, if not the finest. Once again, great story, lyrics and riffage. What strikes me most about it, though, is Messiah's performance. He's great over the entire album, but here especially. He was born to sing this song.

Even the "filler" tracks are winners. I've already mentioned Gothic Stone, and then Codex Gigas and Marche Funebre are worth listening to on their own. Black Candles is a bit lacking, imo, but still good.

So, that was probably the most retardedely written review of all time, but it'll have to do.