Comebacks in metal

Not sure why the fifth best album == suck, which is what you seem to imply. Personally, when a band you like produces a new album, that should be a cause for celebration, since more music is usually a good thing, even if it isn't the best thing they've ever done.

There's no point in wasting your time with mediocrity just because someone was successful in the past. There's too much great new music to be bothered with the once-greats-turned-boring.

There's no point in wasting your time with mediocrity just because someone was successful in the past. There's too much great new music to be bothered with the once-greats-turned-boring.

I simultaneously agree and disagree with this sentiment. I do feel like a lot of reunion albums are medicore indeed, and very rarely bring nothing new to the table. Many people sadly are willing to sacrifice time spent on a new and interesting record for a wholly stuck in the past nostalgia trip.

But, there are long running bands that I trust my money with far more than a "new" band. In fact, I tend to avoid plenty of new bands (at first) these days because the hype train overblows tons of records that I wind up scratching my head on. I was late to the party with Ghost for example for that very reason. This isn't true of every new band ever - but it's true a bit of the time. I always try to listen to as much new music as I can - especially if it's on Spotify, but I'll always go to bands I can "count on" first.

I'd sooner buy say - a new Devin Townsend or Katatonia release - sooner than I would ever buy something new because I know those bands will cater to something I want to buy more than some new band Relapse or Dark Descent is putting out. That's also what makes part of the fun in discovering new bands in the first place - having low expectations. Like, I got huge into Inter Arma that way.

I'm usually skeptical of comeback albums, but I've also been pleasantly surprised. I'd take anything Alice in Chains has been putting out lately over anything "new" right now. Call me a hypocrite - but I'd call it trusting in a musician (in this case, Cantrell) that I know full well is talented enough to put out a great record that both responds to the past nostalgic drive and creates something new and interesting.

If you hAve read my recent thread, then this will not be a surprise. Going local!! Skinless, and Section 8. Skinless has European fest dates set up, and Section 8 is working on new music! Upstate metal representing the metal community!!:hotjump:

I simultaneously agree and disagree with this sentiment. I do feel like a lot of reunion albums are medicore indeed, and very rarely bring nothing new to the table. Many people sadly are willing to sacrifice time spent on a new and interesting record for a wholly stuck in the past nostalgia trip.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a nostalgia trip. If one of my favorite bands makes a new album, I'm going to give it a chance. Personally, I think the "nostalgia trip" people don't give a damn about new material. For them, the band's story ends at a certain point and all they want to hear is that stuff.

Great list. You put much thought into your post, but man did Accept absolutely drop a bomb on the metal world in 2010, then went and repeated it in 2012. The Accept guys are in their 50's but are playing the best music of their careers. Accept never strayed much from their distinct sound, but they did seem to perfect it. If their next release is any better, I don't know if my heart can take it.

Bryant