Compare the rosters: a mathematical excercise

I got all excited when I saw 'mathematical exercise', but then I saw it involved actual numbers, which I don't like to deal with. I don't even like to balance my checkbook. Give me a triple integral in spherical coordinates any day.

Anyway, I'd suggest a slight modification to this ranking in order to account for "uniqueness". After all, what makes a line-up for this festival strong may not rest alone on how many 5's you have. I propose you multiply a band's base score by either:

1 - you have had or will have had ample opportunity to see this band otherwise
2 - as far as you know, this may be your only chance to see them

For example, in the original scheme, I'd put Primal Fear at a solid 4 but, say, Symphony X (if they were in the line-up this year) as a 5. But at least up to 2006, this may be the one and only chance we in the US get to see Primal Fear, so I multiply by 2 and their total score is 8. Symphony X may be a bigger "headliner" but we've seen them before and can probably see them again, so I'll keep them a 5.

So if you have, say, three super duper headliners (5's) that have toured recently (so total weighted score 15), you may still end up with not as attractive a draw as having two 4's that are making a more unique appearance in the States (and thus a total score 8*2 = 16).

That's why PP III was SUCH a massive show, especially for me personally. The timing was right when I saw that line up that I ended up making the committment to go. And it was the combination of not only having Angra, BG, Threshold, and Gamma Ray (my favorites going in) at once, but the fact that up to then, my chance of seeing any of them individually was about 0.

If Angra and Blind Guardian ended up together on the bill for PP9, it wouldn't be as "strong" as it was in PPIII, even though they're both headliners (5's), in the sense that their presence would no longer be so absolutely unique.

What that means is that the long-term success of the festival in rejuvenating the U.S. market for this kind of music - so that bands like Angra, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Nightwish, etc have now done real tours of the US where they might not have before - may make future line ups not seem as "strong" even though the line ups may have just as many or more headliner or direct-support caliber bands. That's not news to anyone, though.

For the record, I have more "hell yeah!" bands on this bill for me personally than since PP V.

And in the time it took me to write this, I'm sure about 20 more replies have been added to the original post, making my suggestion about weighting for uniqueness quite useless :)

Ken

Glen,

Believe it or not. I have done a similar exercise before because I have felt that some shows were better than others on paper and on my taste. I say paper because you know I have not been to one of your shows. Having done that I found it to be very interesting. In hind site I have much more respect for all the shows you have put on. I believe this years show to be very strong even though there are band I don't know and have no interest in and with one to go. I have been a nay sayer in the past but I am trying to keep my personal likes out and see the line up for what it is. People, for $ 110.00 , this and all previous line ups are well for the money if not worth much more.

You mean there's people on forums who only live to pick everyone else apart? No fucking way!

At least I can personally attest to my satisfaction in this year's lineup. :kickass:

Glenn, you my friend do not need to justify to the few naysayers why "YOUR" festival is the way it is. I also agree with what Drew said that the internet is volatile in terms of passing on wrong info. With that said i took the math Quiz oh master. Now i am only putting point totals for that year not each band.

II- 28
III- 33
IV- 30
V - 32
VI -31
VII - 30
VIII - 30 so far with one more to be announced
So see this is in line to be the strongest line up on record

Personally, the only band(s) I didn't know at the time of announcement were Stride, Circus Maximus, Superior, and the Zero bands. Of those, I only enjoyed Superior but elsewise, this festival has been STRONG on talent and name recognition. The fact that people around here don't know much about the bands does not lend, imo, to a lesser festival. It's not always been a lineup that I personally would do, but I'm not the or even A promoter. I'm just happy to see hard work, heart, and research go into something metal for me to enjoy.

I'll tell you when I don't like something only if I tell you WHY I don't like it. I'll tell you when you jumped the gun and made a bad choice (Jorn '06), but I'll also tell you when you have done great things (everything else). This year should be stellar to people who know and love metal. We have historical yet current bands. We have fresh newbies. We have those at the top of the current ranks. Anyone who doesn't think Sonata is there isn't seeing the crowds that are coming out for them..much younger than us, my friends, and that says something.

You've done well, Glenn. Now, get Pretty Maids off my "list" so I can start harping on why Tiamat should be a #3 band in '08!! :)

Glenn, do you really need to keep re-justifying yourself to the dissenters on the forum?

Sure he does, simply because it gives us something to talk about between now and October.:)

However, some really think I have jumped the shark

Are you sure about this, or are you misunderstanding the critiques? Seems to me that everyone here loves what you do. Granted, I don't read every post here, but I don't recall any posters saying, "What a crappy lineup, Glenn's lost his touch" or anything of that nature.

As for your system, there's one wild card you left out: bands with extremely devoted followings that will sell tickets like crazy but might not necessarily have wide appeal. Conception fits that bill, IMO. I'd actually consider PPVI the strongest lineup if you give Conception a 5.

Also, although the bottom 6 bands are probably the strongest ever, the top 4 look to be a little weaker than average. That's obviously not your fault, it's the metal industry's fault for not making many new top acts since 2000 other than Sonata. It used to be you had perhaps 4 headliner-quality bands every year. This year it will be one with three almost headliner quality bands. Which of course is kinda what you already said on the subject.

It's kinda like comparing PPVI to the 1996 Chicago Bulls, with a few hugely awesome players and a few that are pedestrian, to the Seattle Supersonics of the same year, who had one awesome player and ten really good players who weren't superstars. Naturally, the Bulls won that year. And I think VI was the best lineup for that reason. How can you ever beat Stratovarius, Angra, Therion, and Conception?

Well
1.I suck at math
2.I could care less if you book 9 Evergrey/Blind Guardian/Judas Priest(wait,you did this year with Primal Fear*)tribute bands and Jimmy Buffet with a metal backup band for the festival headliner,I'm there no matter what,I look foward to ProgPower week regardless of lineup,yes,last year was the "weakest" of your lineups,but the show Evergrey put on,Mercenary's set,and Epica's sets alone justified my expedatures(Not to Mention Circus Maximus in the showcase)
I might question a band here and there when we are all throwing names around,but I have trusted your judgement since ProgPower 2(or 1).
It has to be getting hard as hell to book this every year with the exclusive shows drying up,there are very few bands that are virgin to the USA,or even this event.
IMO,Use your own judgement when doing this,your instincts are generally right,you don't need me to validate this event,I'm there no matter what.
P.S
How Bout getting Cynic with Ned fronting

*that was a joke for any goober I offended

I don't really critique any announcements anymore, as I know that the problem is ME, not the festival. My taste has changed sooo much in the past few years that I know that it's impossible to make me "happy without totally changing the format of the festival.
So I am fine with 2, 3 bands I like... The festival itself is worth the trip for me.

PPVI:
Stride-1
Circus Maximus-1
Manticora-2
Symphorce-3
PC69-4
Orphaned Land-3
Therion-5
Conception-4
Angra-5
Strato-5

=33. One strong festival, i remember it selling out in 3 days!

I did this just cause I was bored and it looked like an interesting thing to see how my #'s compared to others...

PP2: 29
PP3: 34
PP4: 30
PP5: 29
PP6: 33
PP7: 31
PP8: 27

PP8 Looks right on par with the rest of them considering the headliner is the only one left and I would imagine it's at least a 3 band.

PPVI:
Therion-5

While I do love me some Therion, I don't know if they warrant a 5. I'd probably go with a 4. Following PP, I caught them again in Poughkeepsie with about 30 other people. It was likely a combination of them already having played NYC (which probably sold well but it was over a month between the shows & a guarenteed overall different setlist notice was posted on their website) and Poughkeepsie sucking for this kind of music.
However, after the show, the band was outside for at least an hour chatting with the crowd. I got the feeling that overall they were getting dissapointing numbers from a discussion with one of the guys in the choir and that they'd likely not be making another trip back to the US for some time. I'm hoping that's not true especially since they said they would be doing a WORLD tour in support of their next album.
On that note, because of the unlikliness of seeing them w/o traveling over to Europe, Orphaned Land and Therion are the bands I'd most like to see return.

I hope that I did not spawn this thread. I feel like an asshole now..

I'm just going to play this game while I'm at it and then log off indefinitely...

PP III

Zero Hour: 1
Reading Zero: 1
Silent Force: 1
Threshold: 1
Edguy: 3
The Devin Townsend Band: 3
Pain of Salvation: 4
Angra: 4
Gamma Ray: 5
Blind Guardian: 5

PP IV

Redemption: 1
Pagan's Mind: 1
Mercenary: 2
Secret Sphere: 1
Vanden Plas: 2
Circle II Circle: 3
Evergrey: 4
Symphony X: 5
Rage: 4
Nightwish: 5

PPV

Into Eternity: 2
Adagio: 2
Dreamscape: 1
Wuthering Heights: 2
Brainstorm: 4
Tad Morose: 4
Pain of Salvation: 5
Kamelot: 5
Edguy: 5
Weapons of Mass Destruction aka Savatage: 5

PPVI:

Stride: 1
Circus Maximus: 1
Manticora: 2
Symphorce: 3
Pink Cream 69: 3
Orphaned Land: 4
Therion: 4
Conception: 4
Angra: 5
Stratovarius: 5

PPVII:

Pyramaze: 2
Zero Hour: 3
Vision Divine: 1
Savage Circus: 3
Freak Kitchen: 4
Mercenary: 4
Epica: 4
Jorn: 5
Evergrey: 5

PPVIII

Raintime: 1
Communic: 2
Virgin Steele: 3
Firewind: 4
Redemption: 2
Threshold: 2
Pagan’s Mind: 3
Primal Fear: 5
Sonata Arctica: 5

TODAY, Prog Power 3 would have sold out in 2 seconds, but back then Angra and Pain Of Salvation were not nearly as well known. In fact, most of those bands besides the headliners were not well known. By the "time of the year's standards" PP V is the strongest, I'd say.

Now, you know there's no way people are going to assign scores without a healthy dose of bias or prejudice toward each band. Any "score" is therefore going to be somewhat abitrary and debatable. Probably more important than any score is the overall feel of a lineup.

I'm just going to play this game while I'm at it and then log off indefinitely...

While I disagree with you completely on things (Threshold a 2???), you didn't bother me. I was more irked at Firehead's attitude than anything. I did want to prove a point to you though from others perspective.

You are more than welcome around these parts.

Now, you know there's no way people are going to assign scores without a healthy dose of bias or prejudice toward each band. Any "score" is therefore going to be somewhat abitrary and debatable. Probably more important than any score is the overall feel of a lineup.

I'm just looking at the average mean instead of all instead of the specifics of one or two. There is no scientific way to measure this stuff. I do think that by ranking it, those prejudices will stand out and explain certain aspects.

imo Glenn this year's lineup rocks, and I hope this year can be my first ProgPower and you are doing your job as best as you can! (even better if you get Blind Guardian to play that last spot! :p *kidding :D*)

Glenn, one thing I tend to notice is how some people have been ranking the bands only based on the band's status in the USA, and forgetting about the rest of the world. Now I do understand that this is an American festival and this should be considered first, but I don't see this as a very fair way to measure things. Are you personally considering that when it comes to using this mathematical exercise?

Another question I have for you: The status of the band at the time of the festival. Edguy's status on PP3 is clearly different than at PP5. Same thing with Pain of Salvation on 2 and 5, etc. Is this something to consider also?

I'm just trying to think logically and get exactly what should be done in order to do my numbers. I am trying to stay away from bias and illogical statements.

EDIT = Just saw the thing you said regarding the Status of the band at the time, had to re-read your post. =)

Some lineups are more appealing to me than others due to the vagaries of individual tastes.

One thing, though, will keep me a PP regular forever: It's the best 4 or 5 days of metal socializing on this side of the globe! :kickass:

When a band you don't care for hits the stage, take in a few songs then hit the bar where the hot bartenders and cool people will keep you occupied till the next band. :headbang:

Progpower III:

Zero Hour: 1
Reading Zero: 1
Silent Force: 2
Threshold: 2
Edguy:3
The Devin Townsend Band: 3
Pain of Salvation: 3
Angra:3
Gamma Ray: 5
Blind Guardian: 5

Total: 28