Compare the rosters: a mathematical excercise

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Try this...

1. Make a list of each festival roster. Exclude PP I as that was a different format.
2. Assign a point ranking of 1-5 to each band based on the level of interest in the band at the time they were announced. You should NOT consider their current status or how their status improved between the time they were announced and the actual show date in the same year. You should NOT assign the number based on your personal opinion of the band, be that good or bad. This number is to reflect how you perceived the band's status at the time of their announcement.

Use this scale:

1- unknown band
2- small internet following
3- has some name recogition but has yet to take it to the next level
4- has good worldwide following and good album sales, on the rise or cemented their status
5- True headliner that is at the top of their game

For example: Mercenary and Circus Maximus' first appearance would both rate a "1" under these guidlines. Dreamscape & Pagan's Mind would rate a 2 for their first appearances. Don't let the "fanboyitis" get to you either. I would rank Pyramaze a 2 on the scale. Like 'em or not, Sonata would get an obvious 5.

Add up the total from each festival and compare. The lowest total should be the "weakest lineup." It's an interesting excercise as it takes into account the overall roster as compared to just headliner draw. Keep in mind that only 9 bands are taken into account for this year.

Glenn, do you really need to keep re-justifying yourself to the dissenters on the forum?

You've stated your stance multiple times, and it really seems like a moot point now. I'm not as impressed with this lineup as past ones, but I'm not whining to you because I know how these things work. If someone doesn't like the lineup, that'll free up a ticket for someone else.

I've got a feeling that the percentage of people dissatisfied is much lower than those who are satisfied; the unsatisfied people are by nature more likely to be vocal about it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Good job there Curu.

Edit : Oh and obviously, good job Glenn too. I'll definitely be back on your side of the Atlantic next september if I can afford it.

I have always welcomed critiques, but hearing "that lineup sucks" does bother me. The pressure of putting a roster together gets greater every year as more armchair quarterbacks come out of the woods. I do ignore those that are just here to be trolls. However, some really think I have jumped the shark. It's those people that I want to reach so they can deal with these announcements like you do. You said it best with "I know how these things work."

If I don't defend myself at times, then the power of the internet can work against you with the negative comments all over the net. I do have to consider the non-forum attendees in this capacity.

Besides, I have never been the quiet promoter that hides in the background. If everyone else can throw in their two cents, then so can I. :kickass:

I will comment on the last 2 and this one (since I didn't start paying attention till then)::

PPVI:

Stride: 2
Circus Maximus: 1
Manticora: 3
Symphorce: 3
Pink Cream 69: 3
Orphaned Land: 3
Therion: 5
Conception: 4
Angra: 4 (admittedly I am ignorant on this one)
Stratovarius: 5

Total: 33

PPVII:

Pyramaze: 2
Zero Hour: 3
Vision Divine: 3
Savage Circus: 3.5 (this one is really hard for obvious reasons)
Freak Kitchen: 2.5
Thunderstone: 3
Mercenary: 4
Epica: 3
Jorn: 4.5
Evergrey: 5

Total: 33.5

PPVIII

Raintime: 1
Communic: 2
Virgin Steele: 5
Firewind: 3.5
Redemption: 3.5
Threshold: 3.5 (some people are calling them the premier progmetal band… but I didn’t know them other than that they had been here in the past)
Pagan’s Mind: 3.5
Primal Fear: 4.5
Sonata Arctica: 5

Total: 31.5

So based on this. I’d say the latest one will have the highest ‘score’

Note: I don’t think that world appeal = quality of lineup. That said. I think the quality of this lineup is very strong.

It's good that you know how volatile the Internet can make things. :)

It just seems like this year you've been defending yourself nonstop, that's all. Book 'em and let the fun times roll, I say. :p

Glenn could we have a list of the bands who have played in which PP since the beginning (or starting with the 2nd one)?? That would make ranking these easier since I don;t have the best memory for years past

It's good that you know how volatile the Internet can make things. :)

It just seems like this year you've been defending yourself nonstop, that's all. Book 'em and let the fun times roll, I say. :p

Thanks. With the financial stake I have in this, that's tough to do until the tickets are sold. That's why I try to fight the negative perceptions such as only selling 1,194 tickets out of 1,200. That was a big pisser to a few vocal assclowns.

PPVI:

Stride: 1
Circus Maximus: 1
Manticora: 3
Symphorce: 3
Pink Cream 69: 3
Orphaned Land: 3
Therion: 5
Conception: 4
Angra: 5
Stratovarius: 5

PPVII:

Pyramaze: 2
Zero Hour: 2
Vision Divine: 3
Savage Circus: 2
Freak Kitchen: 3
Thunderstone: 4
Mercenary: 4
Epica: 3
Jorn: 4
Evergrey: 5

PPVIII

Raintime: 1
Communic: 1
Virgin Steele: 4
Firewind: 3
Redemption: 4
Threshold: 4
Pagan’s Mind: 4
Primal Fear: 5
Sonata Arctica: 5

Total: 31 with one more band to be announced

I have always welcomed critiques, but hearing "that lineup sucks" does bother me. The pressure of putting a roster together gets greater every year as more armchair quarterbacks come out of the woods. I do ignore those that are just here to be trolls. However, some really think I have jumped the shark. It's those people that I want to reach so they can deal with these announcements like you do. You said it best with "I know how these things work."

If I don't defend myself at times, then the power of the internet can work against you with the negative comments all over the net. I do have to consider the non-forum attendees in this capacity.

Besides, I have never been the quiet promoter that hides in the background. If everyone else can throw in their two cents, then so can I. :kickass:

All points definately understood. I dont like this lineup really, but then I have to think rationally, and realize.....why dont I like it? Is it because the lineup sucks, or is it because I just happen to have selective tastes. Its really not fair for me to critique a festival when I obviously lean towards the Power side (although I do like alot of Prog Metal).

I think you do a great job at balancing it out for the "majority" which is whats needed for the festival to survive.

Theres alot of killer prog metal bands flying out, but the question is....do they have drawing power yet. Probably not.

You have obviously found a pretty successful formula so thats all that matters. You will never see me all out slam this fest as thats not my style, nor am I that unappreciative. Theres whining, and then theres just voicing an opinion. Sometimes people tend to get personal and bitter, but thats silly IMO.

Oh and you owe me an email still!

:headbang:

PPV:

Into Eternity: 2
Adagio: 1
Dreamscape: 1
Wuthering Heights: 2
Brainstorm: 4
Tad Morose: 4
Pain of Salvation: 4
Kamelot: 5
Edguy: 5
Weapons of Mass Destruction aka Savatage: 5

PPVI:
Communic: 1

Gotta disagree here based on business numbers. Their album received Album of the Month on just about every magazine worth a shit in Europe and they even charted in Germany. Over 3/4 of the bands on the progpower roster haven't done that. That translates into a larger number of import sales in the States through vendors than you would think. They are a solid 3 for me.

Thanks for taking the time to participate.

Progpower IV:

Redemption: 1
Pagan's Mind: 1
Mercenary: 2
Secret Sphere: 1
Vandenplas: 2
Circle II Circle: 3
Evergrey:4
Symphony X: 5
Rage: 5
Nightwish: 5

Total: 29

Gotta disagree here based on business numbers. Their album received Album of the Month on just about every magazine worth a shit in Europe and they even charted in Germany. Over 3/4 of the bands on the progpower roster haven't done that. That translates into a larger number of import sales in the States through vendors than you would think. They are a solid 3 for me.

Thanks for taking the time to participate.
I am basing that on my knowledge of them from the internet sites and the metal magazines I read.

Fuck the naysayers anyway who some of them never seem to be pleased. Justification on your part should never have to be considered. Working a full time job plus dealing with the pain in the ass part of Progpower doesn't make me jealous in the least. I would never bitch even if I didn't like a lineup because it's callous and ignorant to tear down someone's hard work. If something nice can't be said, then nothing should be said. I applaud Glenn, Shane, and the crew for having the fucking guts to do this for us every year! BTW, this lineup fucking rules so far as have all of the others!

Progpower III:

Zero Hour: 1
Reading Zero: 1
Silent Force: 2
Threshold: 2
Edguy:3
The Devin Townsend Band: 3
Pain of Salvation: 3
Angra:3
Gamma Ray: 5
Blind Guardian: 5

Total: 28

It's just different perspectives, and personal preferences that make people decide whether they think one PP fest is better than another. You have the viewpoint of a promoter first/fan 2nd, while the fan looks at it based on their likes and dislikes.

Personally a bands album sales, and worldwide appeal matters ntohing to me if I don't like the band, but for a promoter it would matter a lot, because of the impact on ticket sales.

My personal favorite was PP 2 .. there wasn't anyone there, but I was a big fan at that time of several of those bands. A lot of those bands were at their high water mark as well.

Glenn, there's no way you can please everyone. It can't be done.

Britt

PS I think I used the term "think the roster sucks" in a previous post. It was in regards to some comments from friends of mine, and was probably a little harsh. I don't think any of them really question the quality of bands on the lineup .. it's just that the bands don't appeal to them. Different strokes !!