Compare the rosters: a mathematical excercise

I have never been to a progpower but I'd like to play anyway. :)

I think you missed the point of the rating system. It wasn't about what YOU wanted to see. It was about how the bands rank in the overall scheme of things. Pyramaze most certainly is not a "True headliner that is at the top of their game." Meanwhile, bands like Therion, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, and a bunch of others you are ranking WAY too low.

Let me shed a little light on this as i now see it, as a person who is trying to put on a two day festival this summer. Folks it has been and always will be about "Who is going to Bring in the most attendees, and be the best band for that slot". Glenn has to balance that with the fact that all bands may not be your favorite or even one you listen too. When you are the one with not only your money but your reputation on the line, you have to do what is best for the "Festival Itself". So all the people that are saying "the line-up sucks and I and 5 of my friends won't be there" let me say this. Until you try and do a show yourself, hold those kind of remarks to yourself, yes you can voice an opinion, but in a way that is not trollish, and that way you will have a little bit more creditbility. Putting together a show is stressful enough without naysayers and armchair quarterbacks questioning your every decision. So with that said, i now 100 times more respect for Glenn and what he does, and the way he does it to try and bring to us the most diverse and ass-kicking line-ups each year.

This is just my opinion as a person who loves the line-up this year and will support it unconditionally.

I think this year is one of the strongest line ups ever. There have been individual bands in previous years that I wanted to see more (seeing Pink Cream 69 was a dream come true for me; Nightwish; Jorn) but over-all this year is shaping up very nicely.

it's to bad that there's people bashing this line up with out hearing the headliner. I dont' need to do a survey to tell anyone I think top to bottom this is one of the strongest lineups since PPIII. It's obviously subject to personal taste but I'm already planning a return trip to Atlanta next fall. :kickass:

PPII = 25

Symphony X: 4
Kamelot: 4
Evergrey: 3
Ark: 4
Angel Dust: 2
Steel Prophet: 2
Spiral Architect: 2
Nightingale: 1
Balance Of Power: 2
Superior: 1

PPIII = 35

Blind Guardian: 5
Gamma Ray: 5
Angra: 5
Pain Of Salvation: 4
Devin Townsend Band: 4
Edguy: 4
Threshold: 2
Silent Force: 3
Reading Zero: 1
Zero Hour: 2

PPIV = 30

Nightwish: 5
Rage: 4
Symphony X: 5
Evergrey: 4
Circle 2 Circle: 3
Vanden Plas: 1
Secret Sphere: 1
Mercenary: 1
Pagans Mind: 3
Redemption: 3

PPV = 33

WMD: 5
Edguy: 5
Kamelot: 5
Tad Morose: 3
Brainstorm: 3
Wuthering Heights: 2
Dreamscape: 1
Adagio: 3
Into Eternity: 2

PPVI = 32

Stratovarius: 5
Conception: 4
Therion: 5
Orphaned Land: 3
Pink Cream 69: 3
Symphorce: 2
Manticora: 3
Circus Maximus: 1
Stride: 1

PPVII = 29

Evergrey: 5
Jorn: 3
Epica: 3
Mercenary: 4
Freak Kitchen: 2
Thunderstone: 3
Savage Circus: 3
Vision Divine: 3
Pyramaze: 2

PPVIII = 27 (with one slot remaining)

Sonata Arctica: 4
Primal Fear: 4
Pagan’s Mind: 3
Redemption: 3
Firewind: 3
Virgin Steele: 4
Communic: 3
Raintime: 1

Rankings:
PPIII (35)
PPV (33)
PPVI (32)
PPIV (30)
PPVII (29)
PPII (25)

So PPVIII could very well tie for 3rd place in my book. This year is actually pretty strong, I was just a little disappointed about Sonata being the overall headliner even though I do enjoy their music.

PPII = 26

Evergrey: 3
Ark: 3
Angel Dust: 3
Steel Prophet: 1
Spiral Architect: 1
Nightingale: 2
Balance Of Power: 2
Superior: 1

PPIII = 32

Angra: 4
Devin Townsend Band: 3
Edguy: 4
Silent Force: 2

PPIV = 30

Nightwish: 5
Rage: 5
Evergrey: 4
Circle 2 Circle: 3
Vanden Plas: 3
Secret Sphere: 1
Mercenary: 1
Pagans Mind: 2
Redemption: 1

PPV = 31

WMD: 5
Edguy: 5
Pain Of Salvation: 5
Tad Morose: 3
Brainstorm: 3
Wuthering Heights: 2
Dreamscape: 1
Adagio: 1
Into Eternity: 1

PPVI = 30

Stratovarius: 5
Conception: 4
Therion: 4
Orphaned Land: 3
Pink Cream 69: 3
Symphorce: 2
Manticora: 2
Circus Maximus: 1
Stride: 1

PPVII = 30

Evergrey: 5
Jorn: 3
Epica: 3
Mercenary: 4
Freak Kitchen: 3
Thunderstone: 2
Savage Circus: 3
Vision Divine: 3
Pyramaze: 2

PPVIII = 29 (with one slot remaining)

Sonata Arctica: 5
Primal Fear: 4
Pagan’s Mind: 3
Threshold: 3
Redemption: 4
Firewind: 3
Virgin Steele: 4
Communic: 2
Raintime: 1

I can't really do this since I don't really know enough about the exposure of the bands from the past festivals. I just didn't follow it that closely back then. I will say that this years lineup looks to be one of the strongest ever in my personal opinion. I think it would be hard to beat this lineup without a miracle happening and thats still without one band being announced. I know it is much stronger than last years lineup and even last year sold all but six tickets right?

I think you missed the point of the rating system. It wasn't about what YOU wanted to see. It was about how the bands rank in the overall scheme of things. Pyramaze most certainly is not a "True headliner that is at the top of their game." Meanwhile, bands like Therion, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, and a bunch of others you are ranking WAY too low.

I didn't miss it...I just played by my own rules comparing the quality of the line ups, IMO. Since I am not a progpower attendee, I technically cannot answer the questions by the guidelines presented in the post because I never actually saw the shows. So I used my own system which is judging on quality solely.

As in the past and as of now, I give Glenn much kudos in what he does with this festival year in and year out. I really do. The guy puts in a lot of time, effort, and I am sure money in this and he seems passionate about the music which is very cool.

However, I also believe that the line ups are not going to be top notch every year (last year case in point) because of the agenda of the festival. Thats ok because most times, the line ups are damn good.

Plus, I know many of the regulars enjoy the show because of the trip and the annual meeting with friends and partying, etc...and that is also very cool but that does not necessarily mean the bands playing are worth the trip alone (again, last year as a case in point).

I also wanted to add a side note:

From solely of my observation of this forum, it seems the prog fans are much more difficult to please than the power fans which is not really suprising.

The 'beer chugging' comment about Primal Fear made me laugh because....IT IS A METAL FESTIVAL AFTERALL. :lol:

I also wanted to add a side note:

From solely of my observation of this forum, it seems the prog fans are much more difficult to please than the power fans which is not really suprising.

We are a difficult bunch. Elitist & opinionated...and fairly unwavering. l think Geoff Tate said it best when l saw QR on the QR/DT tour w/Fates Warning...
"Complex music played by complicated people"...that can be applied to the fans as well.

Iced Ray said:
The 'beer chugging' comment about Primal Fear made me laugh because....IT IS A METAL FESTIVAL AFTERALL. :lol:

l don't do alcohol, but l'll chug a Sprite with the best of em. :p

PP III

Zero Hour: 1
Silent Force: 2
Edguy: 3.5
The Devin Townsend Band: 3
Pain of Salvation: 4