compression on guitar?

ZPDRUMMER

MaN Of MaNy NamEZ
Oct 2, 2007
illinois
im trying to figure out how much compression to put on this guitar with out really messing up the sound. i am recording my guitarist through a Line 6 gearbox gold tone direct box with a mesa triple recto setting. I am using Pro Tools and am wondering how much comp you guys use.. I have been using waves Rcomp but it just seems like it doesnt do the trick? thanks if you guys could help me. The guitarist is using a 7string guitar if that helps for the info and he is trying to find a good setting from Carcass "swansong" meets Fear Factory Obsolete...thanks

Wouldn't compress it for those, with the amp gain you're using to go for Carcass/FF and that setting on the POD you shouldn't need it.

Jeff

Loose performances that need to be tightened up can benefit from compression and light verb on the bus (to help blend things together), I did leave that out, but that's about all there really is to it.

Jeff

My 1st gen POD seems over compressed to begin with. It might just be I have the gain set too high but most POD's are are internally compressed which seem to make their lead tones better than Rhythm tones.

The only compression you might need are probably in the lower mids where the chunk tends to get a bit sloppy. See Andy's C4 settings for compressing the lower mids.

id compress clean, and occasionally more light rock sort of sirt, but never metal guitar