Computer Upgrade Help

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
Alright, well I have an old p.o.s. Compaq Presario 6000 and it runs SLLLOOOOOoooooowwwww, especially when I run multiple programs....so I figure I'll upgrade my 512mb RAM to the maximum of 2GB ram for this system. Shouldnt cost me too much.

So, my question(s) is this:

Should this do the trick?

It will, but the computer itself is still severely outdated. If you aren't using it for much, that might be all you need. What are you looking to do with it?

In terms of the software side of things, if you are familiar with formatting and re-installing your operating system, that will help as well. (Obviously you will need to backup things you want to keep elsewhere).

Yeah, just go with the ram. You can probably build a relatively decent computer for cheap, but no point if it's not used :)

It usually helps when you're having many processes running at the same time. It should help in your situation too.
Max RAM that XP can deal with is 4G (that's what I have, and it's really useful for me). And seriously - stop being american for a minute and download fucking XP.
If you want - I can burn a CD with XP s.p.2 for you and send it to you.*

* it's in Russian.

Real men run Gentoo. And you can't bitch about problems till you've tried...

(I'm actually typing this from the Windows 7 x64 RC, so that gives me a fat vagina)

lol, I'd use linux but have no time to learn, plus I game

For most distros there's really no "learn"... a little bit of habit breaking, but for the most part it's pretty simple to figure out. The hardest part is, unless you're rolling with Ubuntu/xUbuntu/kUbuntu, is dealing with drivers.

from there, just dual boot to XP, or 7, have your games installed on fancy partition, and you're good to go.

Fuck, I don't even boot into windows unless it's "OMG SUPER NEW GAME GOTTA RUN IT MAX SETTINGS"... WINE baby. WINE.

Also, shoving 3 computers under your desk for different purposes? Thats also the way to go. Never need to dual boot... I just use my keyboard switch or pick up the other keyboard.

Also, anyone who isn't using atleast 1 CRT monitor still? You suck.

I was using one for 9 years almost, but last week - changed to LCD, as the old one was displaying colours incorrectly and everything seemed much darker than it was in fact, also there was lack of green clolour (and this stuff is important for me). And I couldn't fix it as the 'tube' got fucked up with years...
CRT monitors are still the best for making desing though... Although the good ones cost too much.

For most distros there's really no "learn"... a little bit of habit breaking, but for the most part it's pretty simple to figure out. The hardest part is, unless you're rolling with Ubuntu/xUbuntu/kUbuntu, is dealing with drivers.

from there, just dual boot to XP, or 7, have your games installed on fancy partition, and you're good to go.

Fuck, I don't even boot into windows unless it's "OMG SUPER NEW GAME GOTTA RUN IT MAX SETTINGS"... WINE baby. WINE.

Most of the games I play don't work in WINE, and as far as learning, those drivers are a pain in the butt. Otherwise I just use a virtual machine for the software I need that isn't compatible.

Also, shoving 3 computers under your desk for different purposes? Thats also the way to go. Never need to dual boot... I just use my keyboard switch or pick up the other keyboard.

Ha, I FINALLY (and grudgingly) switched to a LCD a few months ago. Always wanted the FW900 CRT, too bad 24" CRTs are like large rocks.

It usually helps when you're having many processes running at the same time. It should help in your situation too.
Max RAM that XP can deal with is 4G (that's what I have, and it's really useful for me). And seriously - stop being american for a minute and download fucking XP.
If you want - I can burn a CD with XP s.p.2 for you and send it to you.*

* it's in Russian.

Stop being american? wtf is that all about?

Anyway, my step father has a business discount with dell and my mother is gonna call em up to see if they can put some shit together for me with XP. We shall see. It didnt say anything of it on their website.

Ive heard up people downgrading to XP from Vista and it fucking shit up, and im no computer tech junkie so if that happens id be PISSED.

Ive heard up people downgrading to XP from Vista and it fucking shit up, and im no computer tech junkie so if that happens id be PISSED.

well they probably don't know what they're doing if that's the case

you can't just "downgrade", you need to wipe the disk completely and do a fresh install of xp, everything will work fine