Concept Album Recommendations

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Suidakra- Emprise to Avalon

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. Of course, in typical fashion, the responding messages reminded me that I already have some albums I didn't list in my original note (Rhapsody & Savatage being two).

Must check out King Diamond - I loved Mercyful Fate and yet somehow missed out on KD. Perhaps a new thread is in order.... :)

Dreamlord - I hear great things about Suidakra all the time - what kind of music are they?

I'm recomending that you go with Nevermore's Dreaming Neon Black recomendation.

Also, Angel Dust's Enlighten the Darkness songs seem to be somehow connected... I can't really say it's a concept album cause I have not yet managed to realize the story to it's completeness but there sure seem to be something going on in the background.

Originally posted by maestro_al

Dreamlord - I hear great things about Suidakra all the time - what kind of music are they?

Well, I must be honest. I am new to Suidakra. Somehow this wonderful band slipped right through my fingers. So I might not be the best person to talk about them. But I'll try.

I'll keep it simple. They are very similar to In Flames, with one difference. Suidakra adds folky elements to the music. It's not cheesy. It is done very effectively. THey use very good clean vocals and the growled vocals sound similar to Mikeal Stanne's vocals on Dark Tranquillity's Haven.

Like I said, they sound like Colony-era In Flames. Not overly melodic like 'Clayman', but not raw like 'Jester Race'. That's the best I can do. I do strongly recommend this band. I put a review of Emprise to Avalon on the forum at www.chedsey.com, if you are a little more curious.

@BlindTranquility....I hear you man. The problem with posting threads asking for recommendations is that I sometimes lose sight of which albums I already own! :)

Just to clarify, I am a HUGE BG fan - I LOVE Nightfall in Middle Earth - it would be in my top ten metal albums of all time. I like Imaginations too, and I am astounded by Night at the Opera. But I do believe that Nightfall is their magnum opus. I cannot wait for ProgPower in November.

Thanks again to everyone for these recommendations. Keep them going...!

Have to admit - I would never have considered Metallica's Ride the Lightning as a concept album, and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son follows a theme, but still, the lists make for interesting reading nevetheless.