Concept for a new album?

Seth'Peth

Pessimistic Prick
Nov 28, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Based on Kobi's statement that they may shoot for 2006 for a new album in another thread, what guesses do we have for a concept for it(if it will be a concept at all)? Of course we don't expect any early info from the band, but something for the fans to mull over I guess. I grew up religiously and know pretty much all of the epic stories of the Bible.

How about one of the biggest Old Testament epics(other than the flood of course)...Moses, Pharaoh, 10 Plagues.

Any other guesses?

Seth

Hey, great thread. :)

Because I am in a total blank as well regarding what's brewing and stewing in Kobi's mind, I would take a wild guess as well: mmm the Appolo quest for the moon and the landing of the first man there?

I really like concept albums, so just wishful thinking I guess. My next guess is that it will be great no matter what. But the Apollo story would be very cool, I shouldn't assume it would be from the Bible either...:^)

Seth

Right - I absolutely love that little interlude "Joy" from "El Norra Alila". Have you ever thought about elaborating this particular musical "theme" into a full song with vocals? The version on the acoustic bonus cd that came with "Mabool" is a start, but I'm sure there's much more to it.

sister ophelia said:
Right - I absolutely love that little interlude "Joy" from "El Norra Alila". Have you ever thought about elaborating this particular musical "theme" into a full song with vocals? The version on the acoustic bonus cd that came with "Mabool" is a start, but I'm sure there's much more to it.

It's different but sublime too!! (for example my mother is a fan of this bonus :Spin: )( me too) it's an idea !!

I'll be happy with anything they want to do, after the brilliance of Mabool.... I can't ever express just how much Mabool knocked me out earlier this year, I was getting bored with alot of what was happening in metal, and then I stumbled upon Mabool - its in my top ten favorite albums of all time. When you live in a place as bland and culturally devoid as Houston, Texas - music like on Mabool is life support. It also started me on a thread to discovering and getting into mediterranean area traditional music, although I think I've only just scratched the surface.

station82o said:
I'll be happy with anything they want to do, after the brilliance of Mabool.... I can't ever express just how much Mabool knocked me out earlier this year, I was getting bored with alot of what was happening in metal, and then I stumbled upon Mabool - its in my top ten favorite albums of all time. When you live in a place as bland and culturally devoid as Houston, Texas - music like on Mabool is life support. It also started me on a thread to discovering and getting into mediterranean area traditional music, although I think I've only just scratched the surface.
Yes probably, as this area has such an history of cultural mixing, every place probably have its own traditionnal music !

For example, I could see these past years a raise of interest in the traditional Sefarad music. This is really incredible to see the different influences in this music, depending where the people come from...

Seth'Peth said:
How about one of the biggest Old Testament epics(other than the flood of course)...Moses, Pharaoh, 10 Plagues.

I like the idea of them doing an album based on this story, it's truly epic! Of course, I'm sure whatever concept they choose (if they choose to do a concept album) will result in an amazing album.

I say, go Ayreon/Star One space-metal style! With lasers and spaceships!!! In Yiddish!

I'd definately buy that...

Frosties said:
I say, go Ayreon/Star One space-metal style! With lasers and spaceships!!! In Yiddish!

I'd definately buy that...

As much as I love "The Human Equation" from Ayreon, I have to say I don't have quite the same feeling for "The Universal Migrator" CDs. Reason being the 'space alien' synth being the backbone of both albums whereas THE has all the flutes, violins, cellos...etc... I do like the story on TUM albums, the last man on Mars/first man on Earth...and the time travel concept is very cool. The music is still good, but I really like the way bands like OL mix the real style of the ethnic instruments and bringing out a true medieval sound as in the Ayreon case or middle eastern for OL.

I'm just a sucker for medieval or old style music with epic stories, but yes whatever OL does...I will be there first day it's out!!

Seth

Psssst.... I was kidding.:Spin:

I agree they should stay away from that concept - and definately from Yiddish!

Frosties said:
Psssst.... I was kidding.:Spin:

I agree they should stay away from that concept - and definately from Yiddish!

I kinda figured that, but thought I'd do a comparison of those types of albums.... :cool:

Seth

At first I found it odd when fans (or the band themselves) referred to Orphaned Land's sound as "Oriental Metal" - because to me the Orphaned Land sound brings to mind the word "Mediterranean", as well calling to mind images of the area of Jerusalem and the mixing of cultures thats gone on there. I suppose I thought oriental was an odd term because for Americans, the term "oriental" is typically only applied towards the Oriental East (China, Japan, Taiwan, etc). However I recently did some small research on the subject and found out about Oriental Jews, or Mizraḥi Jews - and it somewhat seemed to make sense, Oriental Metal that is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Jews

I dont know why I went on this tangent. Whenever I descibe Orphaned Land to people I say that its like Mediterranean metal, and they seem to have a vague idea of what I'm talking about and get interested because Mediterranean music is such a mysterious concept for most Americans. I've said Oriental Metal as a description to a person once and they said "What, like chinese sounding?" From then on I skipped the Oriental bit... =)

station82o said:
At first I found it odd when fans (or the band themselves) referred to Orphaned Land's sound as "Oriental Metal" - because to me the Orphaned Land sound brings to mind the word "Mediterranean", as well calling to mind images of the area of Jerusalem and the mixing of cultures thats gone on there. I suppose I thought oriental was an odd term because for Americans, the term "oriental" is typically only applied towards the Oriental East (China, Japan, Taiwan, etc). However I recently did some small research on the subject and found out about Oriental Jews, or Mizraḥi Jews - and it somewhat seemed to make sense, Oriental Metal that is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Jews

I dont know why I went on this tangent. Whenever I descibe Orphaned Land to people I say that its like Mediterranean metal, and they seem to have a vague idea of what I'm talking about and get interested because Mediterranean music is such a mysterious concept for most Americans. I've said Oriental Metal as a description to a person once and they said "What, like chinese sounding?" From then on I skipped the Oriental bit... =)

The word "Oreintal" in it's root means "eastern", as far as I understand. Americans are used to use it for the more "far east" as we call it, so I can see the conflict here and I could see it in the days we picked this description. When I describe our music I usually say that we play metal with Middle Eastern influences or metal with Arab influences. But Mediterranean is also true, and this is becuase of the Buzuki which is a Greek instrument, and Greece isn't anywhere near the middle east. But that's a good point in general.

I love the OL concept new idea!!! :worship:
I leave all my senses to the hands of OL...i'm 100% sure than once again will storm my existence!!! :headbang:
But i would always love to listen a new song in the veins of "The beloveds cry" and "A neverending way"...OL have a unique and charismatic way of singing love...A bonus song like that would be wonderful!!! ;) :)