CONCEPTION APPRECIATION THREAD!!!!

nightwish58

Feb 11, 2002
New York
Visit site
Glenn, I cannot thank you enough for pulling this reunion off. Conception is in my top 3 favorite bands of all time and when i heard they broke up, I was fuckin pissed. At that point, I knew I would never have the opportunity to see them live.

Tore is one of the most talented guitarists on the planet and Khan is one of the most emotional, sincere singers out there. That combination is perfection, and their performance was just that, PERFECT!

I truly hope that those of you who were not familiar with this band at least gave them a shot. They play directly from the heart, and their music is as sincere as it gets. Not to mention, a great bunch of guys to hang out with.

The band truly seemed to be ecstatic to be playing again after a 7 year hiatus. Hopefully this will not be the end of this incredible band!

nightwish58 said:
Tore is one of the most talented guitarists on the planet and Khan is one of the most emotional, sincere singers out there. That combination is perfection, and their performance was just that, PERFECT!

The band truly seemed to be ecstatic to be playing again after a 7 year hiatus. Hopefully this will not be the end of this incredible band!

Splendid post, Nigthwish 58!!!

p.s. NOBODY sings with more emotion than Roy Khan.

What I caught of their set was amazing. Sadly, part way through I started getting heat exhaustion so had to leave to get food/water :(
Granted I met some really cool people in the merch area at that time, I am really sad I missed a good portion of their set. Glad I at least got to hear 2 of my favourite songs.
I did make sure to pick up the t-shirt which I wore on my way home. Oddly enough, just happened to run into the band at MARTA and one of their roadies gave me a Conception guitar pick because he saw me with the shirt.

As a big Khan fan, I was so dissapointed with his performance on Friday. His voice got shut at any challenging note. It was depressing. Last year with Kamelot he was not that good either but on Friday it is sad to say it but it was BAD.

booB said:
next reunion: Eternity X!!!!! ;)

I wish, but unfortunately that will never happen since Keith Sudano apparently wants nothing to do with music anymore. What a shame. The Edge will go down as one of the best prog metal albums ever!

Conception was a big time highlight of the weekend. From the tightness of their performance, you'd never know that they'd ever broken up. Kudos to Glenn for that one. Now if he can manage to talk the guys in Payne's Gray to perform next year, I'll be thoroughly convinced that he's sold his soul to the devil.

Joe

arnavut said:
As a big Khan fan, I was so dissapointed with his performance on Friday. His voice got shut at any challenging note. It was depressing. Last year with Kamelot he was not that good either but on Friday it is sad to say it but it was BAD.

LOL; that's funny.

nightwish58 said:
LOL; that's funny.

Well, I think he has a point. Khan was quite good for most of the show, but he pretty much pinched off his voice and just mouthed the high notes. I wouldn't go so far as to say his performance was bad, but he definately backed awayfrom the challenging notes. Other than that, Conception rocked.

Jibrille said:
What I caught of their set was amazing. Sadly, part way through I started getting heat exhaustion so had to leave to get food/water :(
Granted I met some really cool people in the merch area at that time, I am really sad I missed a good portion of their set. Glad I at least got to hear 2 of my favourite songs.
I did make sure to pick up the t-shirt which I wore on my way home. Oddly enough, just happened to run into the band at MARTA and one of their roadies gave me a Conception guitar pick because he saw me with the shirt.

WOW, are you serious dude...that must have been amazing, them giving you a guitar pick...

When me and my friends were walking from the parking lot to the Earthlink Live, we met with Khan and Arve Heimdal (de drummer of conception); they were just sitting in a small Terrace of a Bar somewhere on the same street of Earthlink LIve, and we stayed there and chatted a bit; damn these guys are nice guys; i just can't believe that could have ever happened in my life, especially when being convinced for 8 years already that i will never see my favorite band.

Anyway, by hanging out with conception after their Signings was amazing, and clearly shows how nice people they are. During Pink Cream 69, they just said there on the signing tables (after signings) and just hung out, didn't feel like rushing back to the rooms at all.

The_Kinslayer said:
Well, I think he has a point. Khan was quite good for most of the show, but he pretty much pinched off his voice and just mouthed the high notes. I wouldn't go so far as to say his performance was bad, but he definately backed awayfrom the challenging notes. Other than that, Conception rocked.

yeah exactly, the thing is that conception has by far higher pitched (vox) songs than Kamelot. No wonder since Conception is more a 90's band Thus in Khan's beginning years. Every singer (especially metal), sings better during their beginning years. And it's not likely that a singer of high-note songs will sing his songs live as good as on cd. Of course there are people who can, but well at least Khan had the same emotion from back then when he was in conception (Everything goes IMO of course) ;)

I dont have a lot to say about it except Conception rocked. They were awesome. I loved their set and thought for a band that hadnt played since 97 up to the show in Norway on sept 10th they were extremely tight and sounded real good, I agree with Cardinal Sin, I was over there as well by the signing table and they were hanging out for a good 30 minutes or so after they were done signing , hanging out having beers , smoking cigs and just talking about whatever anybody wanted to talk about. They took pics with anyone that asked and were pretty funny too, with Tore and Ingar walking into the woman's bathroom at different times and then walking out blushing. Anyway they were great on stage and great to talk to.

Again being kind of the devil's advocate....:p

I only noticed two obvious points in the set where there was a really high note and Khan took the lower note instead of going for the high one. I don't know Conception the best, but I knew the songs they played pretty well.

Jibrille said:
They checked out of the Granada at the same time my friend and I were, and we took the marta to the airport, so we were there too. I ran into Khan and Tore a zillion times over the weekend. Every time I was leaving the hotel they would walk in, or the other way round.

Conception owned me...'nuff said. I thought Khan sounded better this year, than last with Kamelot. The band was so fuckin' tight it was amazing and after not having played together for so long...fughet about it! The setlist was great, as well. The only thing I would've changed is I would've added Soliloquy to the set...as it is my fave Conception song. They ruled the fest for me and was worth every penny spent the whole weekend to see them. :headbang:

dargormudshark said:
The coolest part was when I yelled Parallel Minds and then they played it, I yelled Cardinal Sin then they played it, I yelled Flow and then they played it, it was awesome.
Why didn't you yell Soliloquy?