Concert in Oberhausen, Turbinenhalle

JennyB

New Metal Member
Sep 28, 2009
I'm not really a "forum person" but I had to sign up here after seeing Borknagar in Oberhausen on Saturday. We travelled a long way (from Munich) and paid a LOT to be there and I just had to say how disappointed we were by the sound in the venue and the poor turnout. The sound was awful right near the stage, I couldn't hear Vintersorg at all and could also hardly hear the keyboards - two of my favourite things about Borknagar! :erk: I wanted to stay near the front to be as close to my idols as I could and show them support, but after a while, I realised standing near the back was my only option if I actually wanted to be able to hear anything (with or without earplugs.) Did anyone else notice this? I also couldn't help but be disappointed by the low turnout, I had no idea that most of the people in the venue earlier that day were either actually there for other bands or simply got too drunk to wait until 11:30pm for Borknagar. I really think they deserved more.

I just can't believe that some of the other bands got a much bigger reception when they were clearly FAR less talented! Borknagar's set and its execution, when I could actually hear it properly, was great, it's just a shame there weren't more people around to hear it and mainly, that the sound let it down so badly (not the band's fault.) I must say I was a bit disappointed about there being only one song from Epic though!

At first I planned to attend their show in Leeuwarden, but I had to change my plans at the last moment. Which is a pity, because
you're so right about the crappy sound. I stood in front all the time and I soon decided too take out my earplugs. This is a thing I usually never do but because the sound was so bad and the band so great I wanted to hear at least a bit of what mr.V was singing.
I was surprised as well about how many people had left by the time Borknagar began to play. It could have had something to do with catching the last train maybe? In that case they simply should have been sceduled a bit earlier.

Despite of these disappointments, I loved the show and it was an amazing experience for me to see them life! :oops:

I'm not really a "forum person" but I had to sign up here after seeing Borknagar in Oberhausen on Saturday. We travelled a long way (from Munich) and paid a LOT to be there and I just had to say how disappointed we were by the sound in the venue and the poor turnout. The sound was awful right near the stage, I couldn't hear Vintersorg at all and could also hardly hear the keyboards - two of my favourite things about Borknagar! :erk: I wanted to stay near the front to be as close to my idols as I could and show them support, but after a while, I realised standing near the back was my only option if I actually wanted to be able to hear anything (with or without earplugs.) Did anyone else notice this? I also couldn't help but be disappointed by the low turnout, I had no idea that most of the people in the venue earlier that day were either actually there for other bands or simply got too drunk to wait until 11:30pm for Borknagar. I really think they deserved more.

I just can't believe that some of the other bands got a much bigger reception when they were clearly FAR less talented! Borknagar's set and its execution, when I could actually hear it properly, was great, it's just a shame there weren't more people around to hear it and mainly, that the sound let it down so badly (not the band's fault.) I must say I was a bit disappointed about there being only one song from Epic though!
#

Concerning the sound, it`s often that you can`t hear Vocals and/or keys quiet perfect in the first rows, `cause there are no amps for both of it on stage, so the whole sound comes from the monitors under the roof and those are not pointed to the first rows, but to the center.

Concerning the crowd: maybe you have noticed, how many kids walked around with shirts of "Grailknights" or "Equilibrium" and how many walked aroung in a "Borknagar" shirt.
Both Bands got a hell of a promotion during the last years in magazines and played a whole bunch of shows and were much more present than Borknagar has been. And the fans those bands try to attract, were much younger ( and most of them looked even younger...) than the guys you saw during the Borknagar show, and you have to admit, that most of the audience was pretty young.
And btw, it happened the same phenom, which happened before at the Heidenfest last year: Equilibrium, Eluveitie, etc, played and you couldn`t even think about gettin into the front rows, ´cause there were so many kids that wanted to get there. Then came Thyrfing, Enlsaved and Primordial and all the kids left the hall and only a handful of people (mostly 25+ of ages) stayed to see the more talented and "older" bands.

Another point was the pretty good show in Essen where Marduk and Vader played and i know a lot people that showed up there and there were two other shows in the Ruhrarea at the same date...

And yes, Borknagar deserves much more! :)

Greetz

OERKO

You can't really generalize and blame younger visitors for what happened there, Oerko. I'm not personally offended but you're sounding a little too disrespectful there for my taste.

For whatever reasons the bands you're pointing at have gained popularity and draw masses to come and see them. On the other hand it was like hardly anyone was interested in the bands that actually were touring (Code, SOTM, Solstafir).
It seems there were way too many different bands that just didn't make an overall good billing. To have a wide variety might have been a nice idea initially but it obviously didn't quite work out.
And yeah, maybe in the end even something so profane as the time of day (=result of the number of bands) made the difference for Bork's gig. If you're getting tired and the last band is not one of your favourites, you leave. Sometimes less is more.

I tried to google for first reviews but I wasn't very successful. Two sites ended their reviews/galleries with Equilibrium. Here's one review in German, maybe someone here likes to translate it, I cannot be arsed to do it now
http://www.metalnews.de/?metalid=07&action=show&oaid=201

I think there's no reason for this.
Many of us weren't there and would love to see the gig, even if it was empty or with not-so-good sound. And I'm not a musician, so I guess I will never perform live, but maybe the Borknagar guys prefer to have 20 real fans watching, instead of having 200 guys who are there to watch other bands.
From what I saw from Elvina's videos, it looked like it was a great show, both for the crowd and the band. Maybe they can confirm that.

You can't really generalize and blame younger visitors for what happened there, Oerko. I'm not personally offended but you're sounding a little too disrespectful there for my taste.

For whatever reasons the bands you're pointing at have gained popularity and draw masses to come and see them. On the other hand it was like hardly anyone was interested in the bands that actually were touring (Code, SOTM, Solstafir).
It seems there were way too many different bands that just didn't make an overall good billing. To have a wide variety might have been a nice idea initially but it obviously didn't quite work out.
And yeah, maybe in the end even something so profane as the time of day (=result of the number of bands) made the difference for Bork's gig. If you're getting tired and the last band is not one of your favourites, you leave. Sometimes less is more.

I did not want to and still don`t want to blame anybody for what happened ( and btw, nothing really happened at all) . But i dont know, where i sounded disrespectful, cause i just acted the same way many others did, cause i left the hall, when bands were on stage, i don`t like and/or i don`t want to hear and i think, that`s absolutley okay for everybody. i just see some kind of a link between some bands and younger fans and im not the only one.

And yeah, the time of day was factor at all! I remember the "Chris Witchhunter Tribute show" in Oberhausen, which started around the same time ( in april this year). Many left before Sodom even played (me, too). :)

Respectful :)

Oerko

At the concert in Leeuwarden also lot of people left the building before Borknagar finished the show. I think Dave has a point that people wanted to catch the trains but still, you don't do that! :p. I didn't noticed people leaving but my father was behind the crowd and said that it looked embarrassing.
Anyway I don't want to complain about everything. had a good time :)

I hated it when I had to leave concerts to catch the last train when I was younger, before I had my driver's license. Now I pretty much always drive to concerts, instead of having to rely on public transit. The way I see it, some bands are worth so much more than the price of an admission ticket and fuel.

this is why i am never gone to a concert using pubblic means of transport, i would never leave before the end of a show (of course i'm speaking of an interesting show)

I did not want to and still don`t want to blame anybody for what happened ( and btw, nothing really happened at all) . But i dont know, where i sounded disrespectful, cause i just acted the same way many others did, cause i left the hall, when bands were on stage, i don`t like and/or i don`t want to hear and i think, that`s absolutley okay for everybody. i just see some kind of a link between some bands and younger fans and im not the only one.

Ok, ok. Your post came across a bit differently but I'm glad when I maybe just misunderstood you.

And to actually contribute smth to this thread, here's a gallery and yet another German review:
http://www.voenger.de/konzerte_galerie.php?id=112
http://www.voenger.de/konzerte.php?id=112

Sorry if some of you guys were dissapointed by the sound, the venues had no near fills, so that why you couldnt really hear the vocals and keys at the front of the stage .... the house crew were about as usefull as a chocolate tea pot !!!!! thats why it ran so late ... and trying to mix a great band in a huge Bass trap.. can be difficult ... and all we had was line checks ... hard to do in 2o minutes. cheers