confession:

when I did that (have the drummer play ONLY the kick to the click) and then showed him what he played, I got the funniest exuses (like "latency" and "the click is speeding up/slowing down", "that's my natural groove" etc), I then have the rhythm guitarist do the same, just the kickdrum to the click...in 99% of the cases he'll be able to do it which will shut the drummer up

You are a genius :D

I had a drummer who used to say that the click is distracting to him, and he couldn't "get into a groove". So, I loaded up a techno loop in the sequencer, (you know the one: boom sis boom sis boom sis), and sent that out to his headphones instead - it was much better for him, and we actually did get a better result.

It wasn't that big of a pain in the ass, and it worked, so... I tell the drummer they can play to what ever click "source" they want, just so long as there is something there helping them to stay in time.

Edit: D'oh - SentencedToBurn already suggested!

Not to sound like a 'tip stealer' but I've sorta been doing that for the past year after I canceled the last band that couldn't play to a click...I just couldn't take it anymore.

I mainly do it for guitars, because they never understand the notes that make up a riff. Especially for those 16th note speed picking riffs that happen for several bars. They just pick as fast as they can and make sure the notes changes are right but not the individual notes in the piece.

The band I currently have in, has a drummer who changed his rolls and beats every take, and doesn't really count his hits in between rolls and 16th double bass (it took me two weeks to do 6 songs of drums)...so I had a meeting with him and had him (and me) tab everything in guitar pro so that the drums were actually set in stone. I then got a session drummer who finished 5 songs in 7 hours in one day (TIGHT), and 1 hour the next day because he had to learn the last song in studio the next day.

Had I done this initially...I'd have saved a lot of time.
I recommend you have session musicians on speed dial before every session ;)

The band I'm finishing up with plays between 220 and 280 bpm, and I CANNOT imagine recording the drummer without a click. Guitars, bass and vocals just play to the drums, the click comes in if they get lost. But the drums without the click? This isn't groove metal, it's brutal death metal, things have to be clinical IMO.

I've forced the click upon all that enter. It's not even worth messing with tracks recorded otherwise. (Metal context.) You can't fix anything because there's nothing to line it up with.

I track guitars first to the click so the drummer then has both to work with. Generally they're paying more attention to the guitars and the click is just kind of there to help. I haven't had many problems with this yet.

This really kills the ones that say "I follow the guitars." Well, now the guitars are perfectly on time, why can't you follow them?

I also love how some will say that the click was speeding up and slowing down. Yep, you're so amazing that the computer is at fault when you get off time.

When something like that happens, I'm always like "if you don't play to the click, it will suck like something has never sucked before!".

It usually works, but I still get a lot of shity drums and still have to do a lot of programming.

every time i see that video of lopez just going for it i want to cry
what a monumentally incredible drummer

sentenced to burn: yes I can relate to what you are saying. I myself (who can count to four :p) have recorded without a click with favourable results. But I will admit that using a click helps me lock in with the tempo better and stops me from speeding up or slowing down in different sections.

I think my best bet here is to get the guitarist to lay down guide tracks to project templates with the tempo map (made by me from their rough recording) then have the drummer record to that. In the end It will be easier for everyone. seems like a good solution to me...

sentenced to burn: yes I can relate to what you are saying. I myself (who can count to four :p) have recorded without a click with favourable results. But I will admit that using a click helps me lock in with the tempo better and stops me from speeding up or slowing down in different sections.

I think my best bet here is to get the guitarist to lay down guide tracks to project templates with the tempo map (made by me from their rough recording) then have the drummer record to that. In the end It will be easier for everyone. seems like a good solution to me...

agreed.

it definitely depends on the music too. metal = yes, click track almost a necessary. jazz = not so much... heh