Controversial opinions on metal

'war pigs' and 'hand of doom' i adore, i don't care for 'planet caravan' and 'rat salad' is a throwaway, all the other songs are good but not huge favourites. i'd say it's a tie for me but gun to my head i'd probably go for the A.

Bruh, how can you like Back From the Dead and not Haunted and Warpath? By the Light is the most Six Feet Under-est song outside of SFU's discography :lol: The whole album is more towards the Death/Groove spectrum where SFU sits than anything else they did.

Allen West's leads on BtfD are great. They are on Haunted too but there's only a couple of them. That's one thing that might add to the album, but I otherwise enjoy it pretty thoroughly.

Barnes is a mess on Warpath. Haunted isn't bad just boring. The production is so fucking flat, the riffs are mostly decent, but they're basically doing the most vanilla version of mid-paced choppy riff death metal with little else to offer.

I just disagree with calling the album great.

Tardy is a way better vocalist than Barnes, especially by the mid-90's. Back from the Dead has way more energy and a way better production imo. Riffs might be about equal with Haunted but that's also arguable.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
You know what's weird about Barnes is that some of his poorer vocal performances were done by choice. I read this in an interview where he spoke about trying to change his vocal sound and tone for each album. A lot of people think it's because his voice was shot, but that's probably a more considerable factor recently. On Warpath, I think he was intentionally trying to mix in some of the weird shouted/clean sung parts as a stylistic choice and it wasn't just because he couldn't pull off a deeper growl. He went back to a more guttural sound on Maximum Violence.

Anyway, I love Haunted. I first heard "Tomorrow's Victim" on a Metal Blade compilation when I was 16/17 and dug the dark atmosphere. I have a soft spot for slow to mid-paced groovy DM. Lots of great riffs on that album, especially in "Silent Violence," "Beneath a Black Sky," "Human Target," and "Torn to the Bone." I find the production comment interesting because I think Haunted has a very full sound (moreso than BftD I would argue). Barnes's performance on Haunted is powerful as well. Warpath is definitely more up-tempo and the riffs on that one are incredibly catchy. It's more on the energetic side (REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIEEE) so I figure you'd like that one more if Barnes had employed his vocal approach from Haunted.

A lot of the internet reviews trash Tardy's vocal performance on BftD with at least one person saying "he doesn't sound like himself." I can understand to some extent, but I don't mind. It sounds like he shortened up his delivery some to match the more upbeat, compact grooves on that album, but he definitely sounds exactly like John Tardy.

I wonder how much West and Peres influenced each other's writing for BftD and Warpath (which came out the same year) because there are a lot of similarities in the riffing. BftD is just a very SFU sounding album to me which is probably why a lot of people crap on it.

Listen to the opening riffs on these two together:

"Platonic Disease" too; I could imagine that one on an SFU album.

Barnes interview:
"I understand when people say, 'Oh he doesn't sound like he did on that album or song.' Well yeah, that's how it's always been on every album. I've had a different vocal sound and that is purposeful. I wouldn't want it any other way. I don’t like to blanket a specific sound over everything."