converter time

This all makes common sense if you read any well written theory book. It will explain you how some "samples" can get lost because what would be a square electronical impulse "1" would change during the whole chain (because there is no electronical device that doesn't have an impact on the signal) and sometimes the "shape" of the "1" would change so much it wouldn't be recognized as a "1" in the end. I guess it's something you would only need in the end of building a studio, but I can definitely understand it can be useful to some.

From wikipedia : "the period frequency displacement of the signal from its ideal location." and it can "introduce clicks or other undesired effects in audio signals"

Digital is an illusion. In actual fact, a logic gate is a complex arrangement of analogue components

No real circuit can go from signal (1) to no signal (0) instantly, so instead of a nice sharp edge to our square pulse we get a curve. Also, logic gates don't reliably output exactly the voltage they're supposed to. If 1 is actually 1V, your logic gate might in fact be giving out 0.9V as 1.

All those effects become cumulative and are compounded horribly by things not quite being perfectly in sync with each other.

EDIT: not to say these external clocks really make a difference, but good clocking no matter where it's from, is vital

I have a Lucid Gen X clock and I don't care what anyone says...there is a difference the image of the sound, especially the crispness of guitars i see the difference.

+1 on that, with my hd rig I can tell a big difference when I'm clocked to the apogee vs internal digi clock...even when I'm just mixing. and I'm only clocking to the mini-me which is probably not as good as a bigben or even the rosetta series.

Last Year I upgraded my two Digi 192 I/Os to one Lynx Aurora 16 VT. Honestly I never looked back. The Lynx is so much better in my opinion.

Clocks and AD/DA conversation is a heavy read, and not that important to record bands in a studio (thats works properly)

if you guys are realy interested in that stuff, dont give to much into the gearslutz, wikipedia shit.....

read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Di...441565/ref=dp_ob_image_bk/176-1047540-1479201

it includes everything you ever wanted or may not wanted to know :)

tough read....

Agreed. That was my textbook for my final audio class in school. Going on audio forums is often quite comical (and infuriating) after you've read a book like that... (people clearly not knowing what they're talking about, but acting like it, etc.)

Speaking of clocking though, I would use an external clock if using ADAT, or at least clock to the main interface's clock, as opposed to clocking to ADAT. ADAT code is self-clocking, but it's not 100% reliable