Converting wav->midi?

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Errrr, sorry I don't understand what you want to do, can you be clearer ?

ok! my friend has a Clavia DDrum 4 SE. the original sounds in that machine sucks big time. soo, i would like to replade them with some new sounds. i got some nice kicks, snare and tom wav samples, but the DDrum 4 only supports .midi files. soo, my question, is there a program that converts wav files into .midi files?

/Ronnie

Ok, then the answer is no. Midi is not sound, it's a code to trigger samples (put easily), with velocities, note pitch, things like that. To play wav files that you have on your computer from a keyboard, you need a keyboard which includes a sampler, or a separate sampler hardware.

Noumenon said:
strange since midi=data for which note to play and how, among other. But midi isn't sound and if they named the file type's name to midi it's just uhm... straaange.

BTW. Säg hej till Matte från DracWell :p

yeah...well, i guess its back to basic then. using a old Akai sampler to do the job. :loco:

PS. sure! Holmgren eller?

Ronnie_Rocker said:
Hi! i was woundering about a thing. i need some new samples to a Clavia DDrum 4 SE, and i have all the good stuff on wav. is there any good programs that converts wav to midi?

cheers! :kickass:

I know that some old samplers could exchange .wav files via MIDI SysEx, maybe it's the same with the clavia. Take a look at the manual, it must be described there...

Bang on:headbang: :kickass: :headbang:

Just found this here: http://www.clavia.se/ddrum/Files/ddrum4SEbrainV1_5manual.pdf

MIDI SAMPLE DUMP
A MIDI Sample Dump sound is a sample in another format that can also be transmitted via MIDI. There
are many devices that can transmit and/or load MIDI Sample Dumps. All you need is access to a sampler
or computer software with this capability. If you would like to have your own personally sampled sounds,
and have access to a sampler that can transmit sample dumps, you can exchange every single sound in the
ddrum4 SE.
These samples will not be compressed as much as the ddrum4 sounds (only by a factor 2), making them
bigger than a corresponding ddrum4 version of the same sound, and making the transfer process slower.
A MIDI Sample Dump has not the sound group identification data like the ddrum4 sounds have. Therefore
the MIDI Sample Dump sounds are placed in the Dump group in the ddrum4 sound memory. They
are numbered according to the MIDI Sample Dump standard. Check your sampler for information regarding
how it is numbering samples. The ddrum4 will truncate these numbers to fit within the range of
1 to 999. A MIDI Sample Dump lacks the special variations of the ddrum4 sound format. But we have
made it possible for MIDI Sample Dumps to benefit from the variation functions. There are cool variations
to check out on the sample dump sounds.
Note: For MIDI Sample Dump sounds, Variation #5 is a “mono trig” variation which means that any
new trig of the sound will automatically mute the previously played hit. This could be useful especially
for long decaying sounds. Please refer to page 31 for more info on loading MIDI Sample Dump
sounds.

..took me two minutes...:loco:

Ronnie_Rocker said:
Hi! i was woundering about a thing. i need some new samples to a Clavia DDrum 4 SE, and i have all the good stuff on wav. is there any good programs that converts wav to midi?

cheers! :kickass:

Yikes... if I think about this concept for too long, surely my head will explode.

The short answer to this query is "NO", followed by a logically impossible.

I read a portion of that manual where it talks about MIDI Sample Dump and now my head has exploded.

What *is* MIDI Sample Dump? It mentions that the proprietary stock soundbank for this DD4 are highly compressed to help save memory. What other devices use the MIDI samp. dump format? Is it common??

It would appear that the transfer is easy, but that assumes you are transfering over mid samp dump standard. I would think you'd need to convert a .WAV to that format first??

Strange indeed. Im with you ronnie - Id also just use an akai box. =)