Cool sound effects on Opeth songs

jrsh92

Jan 8, 2008
Anyone who's on a Mac or has similar software: Drop Wreath into Garageband. Copy it to another track, so you have two tracks with Wreath on them playing simultaneously, in sync. Then, select the first track and hit command I. Under effects, select "AUPitch"--> Manual, and enter -600 cents, 100% effect blend.
Do the same for the second track, except positive 600 cents.
Mess with the levels until it isn't clipping and it sounds good. The levels of the pitchbent up and pitchbent down tracks compared to each other will take some messing with to get right.
What you now have is two copies of the song. One at a half octave down from normal. One at a half octave up.
You will probably want to lock these two tracks to disk so you can actually play it back.
So, lots of complicated crap to make that happen. It's actually quite quick but if you haven't used the Garageband effects before it can be a touch confusing. But, listen to it! The vocals sound demonic like that. They're lower than normal, but also have a 1 octave higher shrill shriek on them. If the production quality in Garageband was better, or pitchbend effects didn't make the sound lower quality by default, then I think this would be quite an awesome effect for some people to use on their albums or maybe just vocals. The combined out of phase effect and deeper sound add up to this sounding AWESOME.
I'll upload it to youtube... when I get around to it. That'll let you hear it if you don't have the software or can't figure it out.

Hey, you've got to admit, this at the very least is a tiny bit more creative than the 15th "what's your favorite Opeth album", 27th "what's your favorite Opeth song", 4th "Mendez cut his hair!" and 87th "I hate Watershed!" threads that are taking up the front page these days.

So this is basically double-tracked growls, one an octave above the other, right? Because a lot of bands do that already - Deicide for one. I don't know if it sounds the same as what you did, but it's not an effect I particularly like...