First post (and Opeth cover)

Greetings Opeth freaks! Wanted to introduce myself here as I see myself spending quite a bit of time here. While I'm a recent Opeth convert, I am now an insanely huge fan of the band, I have their entire catalog including Lamentations. I avoided them for a while because of the growly vocals (never did like the cookie monster vox) until I picked up Ghost Reveries based on the suggestions of some very good friends.

I haven't been quite the same since. I would like to offer up a cover I am working on of "Ending Credits". A friend from the Metallica forums (yes, the Metallica forums) created a drum track, and I did the acoustic guitars as well as the lead guitars in GarageBand. The lead track is actually an acoustic guitar with some effects laid over it. I'm not totally happy with it and I'm looking for someone to lay down a real lead track. Also have someone lined up to do bass. "Death Whispered A Lullaby" is my next project. You can check out the tune at my Myspace page (as well as a couple of other short recordings I've done) at http://www.myspace.com/seventeenhours

Hope you enjoy!

Oh, no, trust me. I didn't register so I could pimp my tunes. I'm not like that. I truly am an Opeth fan and hope to be a regular here. I work nights, though, 11 PM to 7 AM CST, so I'll only post at night. So if you don't see me post often, that's why.

But no, rest assured that I'm not here just to pimp my stuff. I don't think it's that good to pimp, myself, but that's just me.

I'll be taking a look around when I get to work and making an honest effort to prove myself around here.

:headbang:

EDIT: Almost forgot. Thanks so much for the kind words on the cover and tunes. I was afraid I'd get blasted or something cause it wasn't that good.

very cool.
I've been working on that song myself, too

could you possibly post like tabs for the acoustic guitars please?

say, there are so many guitar tabs for ending credits, but none of them seem to catch exactly the acoustic chords... let's share!

a síctia said:
very cool.
I've been working on that song myself, too

could you possibly post like tabs for the acoustic guitars please?

say, there are so many guitar tabs for ending credits, but none of them seem to catch exactly the acoustic chords... let's share!

This is the best tab I've found. I switched the positions to make it sound clearer since I was using an acoustic. If I have the time, I'll post the lead tab that I played. The chords are accurate, though. Very simple. Verses are Em-Amadd9-B7, chorus is C-B7-Em-Cadd9-C-Am-B7 and the tail to the chorus is Em-C back and forth. Very easy.

AcousticJames said:
I truly am an Opeth fan and hope to be a regular here.

Careful mate, some spastics on here will probably construe that as being a disease that's known as 'fanboyism'. Welcome and I look forward to some productive posts. Good cover by the way:)

It was a good cover, Maybe a little more reverb on the distorted and its not warm enough. I enjoyed it though, better than that other cover I heard awhile back.

Crysiss said:
It was a good cover, Maybe a little more reverb on the distorted and its not warm enough. I enjoyed it though, better than that other cover I heard awhile back.

Yeah, I'm extremely unhappy with the lead track. I actually recorded it with an acoustic guitar then layered some effects over it to give it distortion and such. It just didn't turn out the way I was hoping it would. No amount of EQ'ing could fix it. But it's better than nothing, I suppose. Just need to get off my ass and find someone to record a real lead track, with, like, a real electric guitar and amp distortion as opposed to a half-assed acoustic track with tons of effects.

But considering what I had to work with, it's not too bad.

And yes, I may come off as a bit fanboyish because I'm just totally into Opeth. I spent many years listening to nothing but Dream Theater and finally burned myself out on them. Opeth has taken their place. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually.

Wow, that was pretty good cover! As was said before, the lead tracks are a bit lacking, but still damn good for an acoustic! And the acoustic tracks were really nice as well.

So, a welcome from me.

The acoustics and drums were good, the lead was ugly. And it really needs the bass.

BTW, the first chord is not a standard Em like in the tab posted, but:

I think I saw Peter play this on Lamentations.

Moonstruck said:
The acoustics and drums were good, the lead was ugly. And it really needs the bass.

BTW, the first chord is not a standard Em like in the tab posted, but:

I think I saw Peter play this on Lamentations.

I will have to take a watch that again, then (like I really need an excuse) to see. If so, I have some retracking to do. Yeah, if anyone can help out with a lead track, I could supply you with the backing for it. Would be much appreciated. Then I could get the track off for bass.

Thanks again, guys!

That cover is pretty well done dude, the lead aint all that bad, sounds exactly like the song. Just needs bass and it's perfect. Welcome to the forum as well.