opeth sound

hostia

New Metal Member
Mar 29, 2006
hey i use a line 6 for all my effects we are an opeth style band and i was just wondering if any body else uses line6 and what settings do thay have it set on to get the opeth sound coz some of the sounds of the line six web site are just down right crap:headbang:

thanks the opeth sound that im using now is ok its one of the line 6 web site it just lacks a bit of omff

:headbang: its good that you have writen that but it shows you dont pay to much attention to opeth as for they use digital sound it all comes from there boss floor board and yes this is having a dig at you

I was under the presumption that you were aiming for their studio 'sound', in which it's all tube amplifiers. You aren't going to get there with Line 6 gear. If you're aiming for their live sound, it shouldn't be too hard, but keep in mind that even there they run their pedalboards through at least the power section of tube amplifiers, hence smoothing out some of that roughness before it even gets to the speakers.

yeah...use the 4-cable-method! I used it last friday when i had my gig. We played some opeth songs as well, master's apprentices and demon of the fall. Since i have a gt-6 and i played over a JCM2000 (Marshall) WITH the 4-cable-method...the sound was tight! so the crowd says!

thanks that was what i was after i do use valve into four it was more of a matter of getting to no if peaple are using line 6 to get there sound as for me i finnd the boss to be a bit lean and the emulation isnt quit right i think line 6 have done a great job with there product and no i am not 1 eyed i have used boss korg and didgi tech i just find that line 6 is the warmest of them all so sorry if i did ofend anybody that wasnt my intention :headbang:

I guess you can even ask which Opeth sound, as it has changed over the years. I use a Mesa Studio preamp which has an eq stage on it. I find a reasonable sound by backing off on the bass and the treble a bit and not going too mad with the gain. The preamp isn't exactly right for metal but it isn't bad if you tweak the EQ.

The sound is a product of everything along the signal path right from fingers through £2000 guitar etc. and it's hard to imitate something with other kit. I wouldn't know where to start with a Pod or Flextone.