coolest little girl ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wikipedia said:
... it is very difficult to get a licence for a pistol or revolver in Finland, but relatively easy for a rifle or shotgun. The rationale is that long firearms are awkward to use in robberies and other felonies, but they are almost exclusively used in war; therefore practising or hunting with a long firearm is both relatively safe for the general populace and especially beneficial when the situation of crisis arises.

So anyone think this would be a good alternative to the U.S.'s current gun control situation? Everyone here seems to be polarised to either "guns, period" or "no guns, period" - this argument appeals to a decent medium. And if it were the case, the little girl (if she exists) would have still been able to defend herself from the violent robbers.

Just for reference, here are some recent per-year, per-100,000 population homicide rate statistics (source):

5.90 in U.S.
2.94 in Switzerland (laws relatively liberal for Europe; recreational shooting is popular; assault rifles may be kept at home by militiamen)
2.75 in Finland
2.03 in the U.K. (more red tape - ownership monitored by the police, license renewals, etc.)
1.28 in Australia (.38 caliber or less handguns allowed, semi-auto and automatic rifles restricted; purportedly U.S.-esque 'frontier culture')

Somehow, that story seems fabricated. And also, the story seems like it was written by a hardcore republican, and the people posting at that site the story was posted seem hardcore republican. I hate hardcore republicans.

I just viewed the story as a hypothetical scenario, I guess it doesn't really matter whether or not it's true.

Im in Illinois, we cant carry. Hell just today they are trying to take away our hicap mags. 10 rd limit. fuck that bullshit.

inadequate, how so?

I'm in Ontario, Canada. Also the inadequate part was kinda meant to be a phallus-related joke but clearly it fell flat. Basically he is a paranoid bastard for no apparent reason, our town is only 100 000 people and not exactly a hotbed for any sort of violent crime.

My uni house is in Camberwell in London - a few months ago someone got uzi'd to death outside a nightclub on my street.

It's not even a bad area though, although there are black people literally everywhere you look - which I am only pointing out because it is groups of them who are resonsible for most of these petty gun attacks in London.

Gangs strike me as the most cowardly thing ever - gangs armed with guns even more so.

I was on a bus recently and this group of about 6 or 7 black teenagers were harrassing this south american guy at the back, seemingly jokingly, in a mock mugging sort of sense. The guy then got off at the next stop, and they followed him, and I saw one of them run up behind him and punch him in the head - all credit to the guy being targetted, he started chasing after the fucker, but had second thoughts when all his mates tried to join in.

The pathetic thing was, as soon as he turned to face another guy coming up behind him, that guy ran away again, he didnt even try to land a punch once it couldnt be from behind.

This wasnt even a quiet area or anything, it was in central London on a busy street - they were clearly just messing around, having a laugh at this guy's expense. Sensibly he walked into the nearest building, and they swaggered off down the street. I was just struck by how utterly cowardly that behaviour is.

^ That doesn't justify the problem though. You folks have too many school shootings etc for it to be a justifiable reason to have a gun. Its inclusion and conditioning into American society for such a long time is part of the reason that its a problem. Had you guys never had "rights to bear arms", this bullshit would be rare, like it is here. Unfortunately though, its now too late to reverse it, so in that context, you're right.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to Ameri-bash (even though I love to), but it's sad that you guys have such a violent undertone in your country. It's not healthy guys :(

Correct; Yanks have a warped view of the world and reality.

So... am I missing something, or can't you get a gun in Australia without much trouble? And in a bunch of other countries? Why do people keep suggesting that the U.S. unique in the right to own a gun?

Dän;6137041 said:
Correct; Yanks have a warped view of the world and reality.

It's not warped, it's called "biased." Every person has a bias depending on many factors, including where they live.

It's not warped, it's called "biased." Every person has a bias depending on many factors, including where they live.

You mean Australians aren't of a higher order of intelligence, able to look with perfect impartiality on all controversial issues? :lol:

Despite what the Australians present seem to think, I would have to say no. :loco:

So... am I missing something, or can't you get a gun in Australia without much trouble? And in a bunch of other countries? Why do people keep suggesting that the U.S. unique in the right to own a gun?

Gun ownership is more diffuclt to obtain, hence why we dont have high murder rates with guns and the USA does, and why we never see school schootings like the USA does. If the USA resricted gun ownership less people would die from shootings, that is fact, and to deny it is stupid.

Why is there such an obsession in America about gun ownership? You guys defend your right to bear arms as if it is the greatest concern in your life.

Dän;6137453 said:
Why is there such an obsession in America about gun ownership? You guys defend your right to bear arms as if it is the greatest concern in your life.

We've always had them. We gained our indepence by picking up guns and fighting. It's just sort of a cultural thing.

Taking away our guns would be like taking khaki shorts away from Australians, or taking away Englands sense of entitlement.

My uni house is in Camberwell in London - a few months ago someone got uzi'd to death outside a nightclub on my street.

It's not even a bad area though, although there are black people literally everywhere you look - which I am only pointing out because it is groups of them who are resonsible for most of these petty gun attacks in London.

Gangs strike me as the most cowardly thing ever - gangs armed with guns even more so.

I was on a bus recently and this group of about 6 or 7 black teenagers were harrassing this south american guy at the back, seemingly jokingly, in a mock mugging sort of sense. The guy then got off at the next stop, and they followed him, and I saw one of them run up behind him and punch him in the head - all credit to the guy being targetted, he started chasing after the fucker, but had second thoughts when all his mates tried to join in.

The pathetic thing was, as soon as he turned to face another guy coming up behind him, that guy ran away again, he didnt even try to land a punch once it couldnt be from behind.

This wasnt even a quiet area or anything, it was in central London on a busy street - they were clearly just messing around, having a laugh at this guy's expense. Sensibly he walked into the nearest building, and they swaggered off down the street. I was just struck by how utterly cowardly that behaviour is.

thats so sad. fucking my pals

Dän;6137453 said:
Gun ownership is more diffuclt to obtain, hence why we dont have high murder rates with guns and the USA does, and why we never see school schootings like the USA does. If the USA resricted gun ownership less people would die from shootings, that is fact, and to deny it is stupid.

Just for the record, I'm all for having more restrictions on guns, particularly handguns. They're just a tool for thuggery. And there are plenty of Americans who support gun control - you just wouldn't hear from many of them on a metal forum. :)

thats so sad. fucking my pals
yeah, that's why I don't give a fuck when newspapers report on the latest killing of a black youth by other black youths, because it could easily have been the other way round in most cases. Recently there was a conviction of a black guy for stabbing another black guy to death - but the photo of the victim showed him pointing a gun at the camera and with his face masked - clearly just a rival gang member who probably wanted his attacker dead just as badly. Fucking scum.

You guys are so fucking retarded...

Anyway, I personally think gun control is bullshit. As I do with criminalization of ANY drug.

Status
Not open for further replies.