Coronavirus cases and deaths among UM members

How do we man all the roadblocks. If any of my family needs to go to the family doc he's two towns away, feasible two check points. I could pick 15 different ways to get there and the usual route I'd chose is an old logging track because it's shorter and less traffic. Blocking roads would take an awful lot of man power that I don't think any state has.

In situations that critical I'd assume military forces would be used, as they were in China.

I doubt we have enough military for that to happen around the entire country. We only have 60,000 military personnel and we already have ADF supporting police in large numbers to ensure people stay quarantined.

I don't believe the ADF has actually properly been brought into the situation yet, only small numbers of support have been issued around the country to help with specific things, as the ADF only just wrapped up its bush fire operations. But since their mission now will be to help police enforce restrictions and quarantines, plans that involve enforcing travel restrictions will simply be part of that mission anyway.

Also including active reservists we stand at 80k strong at the absolute bare minimum, and this doesn't include measures such as emergency recruitment. That said, I'm obviously not a logistician but I'm sure if things get bad they'll figure out a way to make heavier restrictions work. There are very few alternatives.

Not wild at all. It"s part and parcel of liberalism. Basic science understanding and additional internet access to articles should have had everyone laughing at the notion masks don't help. But noooooo

Last edited:
JSDNaHH.png

@CiG will get some of this :cool:

Reactions: CiG
I also watched him in Smash Palace not so long ago ...on a plane, and I decided it was best to fast forward when the sex scene turned up, heh.

I saw you mentioned Black Moon Rising (in relation to Battletruck), need to see that one.

Reactions: CiG
Billy Joe Saunders apologises for video giving 'advice' on hitting women
  • Footage shows boxer demonstrating how to ‘finish her off’ if tempers flared during the Coronavirus lockdown
  • ‘Apologies if I offended any women,’ says Saunders

Previous presidents have moved quickly to confront disease threats from inside the White House by installing a “czar” to manage the effort.

During an outbreak of the Ebola virus in 2014, President Barack Obama tapped Ron Klain, his vice president’s former chief of staff, to direct the response from the West Wing. Mr. Obama later created an office of global health security inside the National Security Council to coordinate future crises.

“If you look historically in the United States when it is challenged with something like this — whether it’s H.I.V. crises, whether it’s pandemic, whether it’s whatever — man, they pull out all the stops across the system and they make it work,” said Dr. Aylward, the W.H.O. epidemiologist.

But faced with the coronavirus, Mr. Trump chose not to have the White House lead the planning until nearly two months after it began. Mr. Obama’s global health office had been disbanded a year earlier. And until Mr. Pence took charge, the task force lacked a single White House official with the power to compel action.

Now for what actually happened:

On 30 September 2014, the CDC declared its first case of Ebola virus disease. It disclosed that Thomas Eric Duncan became infected in Liberia and travelled to Dallas, Texas on 20 September. On 26 September, he fell ill and sought medical treatment, but was sent home with antibiotics. He returned to the hospital by ambulance on 28 September and was placed in isolation and tested for Ebola.[248][249] He died on 8 October.[250] Two cases stemmed from Duncan, when two nurses that had treated him tested positive for the virus on 10 and 14 October[251][252] and ended when they were declared Ebola-free on 24 and 22 October, respectively.[253][254]

On October 17, 2014, Klain was appointed the "Ebola response coordinator" or, less officially, Ebola "czar."[17][18][19] His appointment was criticized because Klain, according to Julie Hirschfeld Davis writing in The New York Times, had "no record or expertise in Ebola specifically or public health in general".[18] Klain's term as Ebola response coordinator ended in February 2015.

And:

The first known case in the United States of COVID-19 was confirmed in the Pacific Northwest state of Washington on 20 January 2020, in a man who had returned from Wuhan on 15 January.[546] The White House Coronavirus Task Force was established on 29 January.[547] On 31 January, the Trump administration declared a public health emergency,[548] and placed travel restrictions on entry for travellers from China.[549]

Fake News NYT at it again

Reactions: CiG and Dak
And that's without mentioning that the Ebola pandemic first became an international story in March 2014 (meaning from a surface-level that Obama had easily 7 months to monitor things and make decisions before the first American case), while COVID first became an international story in January* 2020 (meaning Trump had about two weeks of equivalent time). To be fair, they're not wrong to bring up Trump's "One day it will disappear" statement, even though the context is blatantly misleading. Most of the details suggest that Trump's administration was actively working on and conscious of the virus in January, but that regulatory fuck ups delayed things. So Trump's biggest mistake, as always, was in trying to spin a shitstorm into a sundae.

*An international story that most American voices (aside from Andrew Yang, Tucker Carlson, Steve Bannon, Glenn Greenwald, and similar outsiders) downplayed and mocked until the impeachment trial ended.

Just saying there's a lot of points in that article and to hand wave it off for that one, when I think the main criticism is the FDA, is not beneficial

The overall slant seems to be strongly anti-Trump, easily paraphrased "If Trump was more in control and had TAKEN ACTION (doing who knows what) we MIGHT have gotten extremely lucky and found every person that some then-unknown Chinese passenger arriving in Seattle had come into contact with over a two week incubation period". I don't exactly see the story advocating for deregulation in the FDA or for reduction of private sector liability or anything. It just throws out a couple stupid Trump quotes and Pence's appointment and allows the reader to come to their own conclusion on who was at fault (anti-science bad orange man, of course).

Article argues that Trump misused his platform and appointed some bad candidates at the very least, which is very fair.

And that paragraph was like third from the bottom. Think your own bias is too strong here , the testing angle is the biggest flaw here (since the mask drama is too new) and that's what gets the most attention.

In fact, reading it over a second time had made me realize that "One day it will disappear" is just CURRENT YEAR "Some very fine people". The formula is actually beautifully simple: take a massive tragedy or controversy, find a single quote from Donald Trump that attempts to add a positive spin, stick that quote into every single successive story about said tragedy/controversy, and voila, Trump has tacitly not only endorsed said tragedy/controversy but is now on the hook for all related future tragedies/controversies to boot. The Dems should just make their entire ad campaign from here on out nothing but those two quotes spoken by Trump over the images of dead various bodies.

Reactions: Dak