Coronavirus cases and deaths among UM members

https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=9298

Pretty brutal. Heavy hits come near the end:

Full disclosure, there’s no evidence that climate change played a significant role in the spread of Covid-19 (in fact, hot weather seems to be anathema to the little bugger). Climate change is but one of the major variables contributing to the global spread of disease. The other two are destruction/encroachment of wild habitat (bringing people into contact with new and undiscovered pathogen reservoirs)2 and the globalization of travel (which carries said pathogens to new— and newly-habitable— locations at lightning speed). Any of those variables can be enough to provoke an outbreak. Put ‘em all together, and you’ve got a world in which the incidence of emerging diseases have more than quadrupled since 1970 (and a world in which only about one percent of wildlife viruses are thought to have even been identified, much less countered).

This time, wilderness intrusion and global travel gave us a coronavirus pandemic courtesy of the People’s Republic. Climate change didn’t happen to play a role, but that was just the luck of one draw: China has other gifts waiting in the wings, in which it takes center stage. Climate change causes drought; drought results in increased rodent populations, and voila: pneumonic plague kicks off its comeback tour.

If not plague, Henra virus. If not Henra, West Nile. Babeiosis. Anaplasmosis. Nipah: now there’s a scary little fucker. The original reservoir was in bats, but it jumped to humans via pigs: back in 1998 it infected 276 people in Malaysia, killing 106 of them. That’s a 38% kill rate—higher than smallpox. Nipah’s been on intermittent tour throughout Bangladesh and Malaysia ever since, racking up kill rates as high as 90%. Half the cases are transmitted human-to-human.

There is no cure.

and...

I keep saying this is only the beginning. I’ve said it so often that people are starting to say “Peter Watts predicted a global virus pandemic in 2019”, as though the predictions actually were mine, as though I wasn’t just repeating what other, vastly-better-informed experts have been saying for years. But just as each new outbreak reflects an interaction of different causal variables, pandemics themselves are but one factor in a wider, even more catastrophic cascade. This isn’t just about pandemics, it’s not just about climate change: it’s about emptying the oceans and strip-mining the seabed, it’s about cutting down the world’s forests, it’s about hormone disruptors and plastics and insect pollinators cratering in fast-forward. It’s about a civilization build out of cards and supply lines that span hemispheres; an economic system so out of touch with reality that oxygen and clean water are accorded zero value, while mine tailings in a river are accorded zero cost.

We appear to be headed towards a scenario described in Nafeez Ahmed’s recent essay “Coronavirus, synchronous failure and the global phase-shift”: a series of synchronous failures along multiple axes that will pretty much gut The Way Things Are from the inside out. What comes out the other side—whether we come out the other side—depends on how well we can transpose the lessons we’re learning during this mild, training-wheels minipocalypse.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
I mean, China is a global factor and number one contributor to carbon emissions. The way the country's run, it's poised to play a major role in kicking us down a seriously rocky road.

giphy.gif

Reactions: CiG
thousands of Californians were out today from socal all the way up to the capitol calling for "Lord" Newsoms head and demanding he "reopen" the state. Quite a few business' have decided to completely ignore him and reopen their doors. Some city leaders are even pointing out that his actions do not line up with the numbers and statistics that are coming out(for example Orange County which has about 3.2 million people only has 50 deaths) and have already filed lawsuits against him.

OK, maybe I don’t follow. Complex terms are doing a lot of seemingly specific work, and I’m not sure I get the intended meaning. I’m also now unsure whether I understood why “progressive liberalism” was mentioned.

Sounds like it might be a batshit conversation though. ;)

Reactions: Dak
Of the US states reopening, which ones have strip clubs already open and have the whitest girls?

Heh I don’t exactly know when strip clubs will be reopening here but the state starts reopening Monday and going to a private room here is 100% to have sex with the stripper. You usually get a towel and a condom on the house.

Reactions: arg
Is that a thing in other states btw?

of course prostitution is illegal here but if you go to a “private room” here it’s assumed you’re going to fuck the stripper. I was a bit taken back by it as a guy that just turned 21 and was literally handed a towel and a condom as I walked into a private room.

Reactions: arg
Yea they do that here in CA too. But it’s full of Mexicans and blacks and the whites charge a shitload

It’ll be a looong time before strip clubs open here though. Fucking Newsom should be shot