Coronavirus cases and deaths among UM members

hospitals really wouldn't have really been really "overrun" because nobody would have felt the need to go to the hospital if they didn't know anything other than a regular flu was going on
This is one of the dumbest sentences I've ever read. Even with a flu some people would go to hospital if they're the ones with serious fevers and so on. Add COVID-19 making it difficult for people to breathe and there'll be a lot more of those people.

That exact thing is happening here with RSV in New Zealand right now, causing the health system to be somewhat overrun. So it doesn't even require a global pandemic for that to happen:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...tinue-to-climb-28-per-cent-increase-in-a-week

America is prolly just gonna make a list of people where the vaccine is mandatory (north Carolina did some already) and then just expand the list untill the country reaches heard imunity

With these figures from here, the vax-trepid USA will never reach herd immunity until basically everyone's caught the virus:
Based on the existing data around the efficacy of the Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine – 95 per cent according to data from stage three clinical trials – Plank and his team calculated that if a strain with an R0 of 3 was circulating, 71 per cent of the population would need to be vaccinated.

With the Alpha variant, 83 per cent of the population – made up of 90 per cent of the adult population and 55 per cent of under-15s – would need to be vaccinated, the research, which is yet to be formally peer-reviewed found.
For the Delta variant, around 97 per cent – equal coverage in all age groups – would need to be fully vaccinated to reach herd immunity.

Reactions: Blurry_Dreams
Mandatory Vaccinations for almost all of Americans seems like it will eventually happen

Even if it's a really slow increase in the number of situations where it's required

I don't think the U.S. will federally mandate the vaccine. I think it will continue to defend private companies and public institutions that require employee vaccination, and ideally more and more do so as contagion spreads.

Of course, once that happens the initial purpose of the vaccine (to ameliorate the impact on our health care system) becomes increasingly moot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blurry_Dreams
I don't think the U.S. will federally mandate the vaccine. I think it will continue to defend private companies and public institutions that require employee vaccination, and ideally more and more do so as contagion spreads.
I think that the number of situations where the vaccine is mandatory will just keep increasing until you've got the majority of Americans vaccinated

I love the idea that stock supplies store have had to put up signs telling people they wont sell that shit to humans unless they can prove they have a horse.

Takes a certain mentality to come to the conclusion that science as yet hasn't found a 100% effective vaccine for covid, yet some unnamed person has figured out, after 18 months, that a existing drug used in both humans and animals to fight parasites is some sort of miracle cure.

Reactions: Burkhard and CiG
I love the idea that stock supplies store have had to put up signs telling people they wont sell that shit to humans unless they can prove they have a horse.
Would be interesting to see if this will lead to a sudden boom in the horse sales-market. And if some people who can't afford buying a horse will show up with a seahorse assuming this will also count.

Takes a certain mentality to come to the conclusion that science as yet hasn't found a 100% effective vaccine for covid, yet some unnamed person has figured out, after 18 months, that a existing drug used in both humans and animals to fight parasites is some sort of miracle cure.
Especially bearing in mind that said drug didn't fall from the sky, but was also developed by scientists. I wonder how many of those people are also creationists.

Reactions: Slammed