Could someone recommend me a new 7 string?

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
My refund from school is coming next week and I want to get a new guitar (I traded my explorer with EMG's for a RG7321 a while ago with cash cause I was broke). I hate how cheap the Ibanez feels so I posted it on craigslist.

I want to get a new 7 string for about $700 (used is fine). I need something that will stay in tune, has big frets (I have hams for fists), DOESN'T have a floyd rose, comes with great pickups and can play fine with really low action.

I don't mind if I have to pick up a used guitar if its gonna be better. Good pups are very important because I'm not gonna have any money left over to put into new pickups.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

I looked into the Agile stuff but I feel like for the pricing its too good to be true

You could get an ESP LTD MH-417 new for that. The only thing I don't like about the ESP sevenstrings in general is that most have a 25,5" scale length. It looks a lot better in real btw.

Agiles are worth the price. Like other guitar manufacturers, they have their well-crafted guitars, and they have their cheap guitars. I've heard some horror stories about factory defects with korean or chinese-made agiles as compared to american-made, but my multiscale 7 (korean) came out with no flaws whatsoever. ESP also makes good 7 strings, but as Adrian said most of them are in 25.5" scale length. I would say for your price range, stick with Ibanez, Schecter or Agile, but that's just me.

Agiles are worth the price. Like other guitar manufacturers, they have their well-crafted guitars, and they have their cheap guitars. I've heard some horror stories about factory defects with korean or chinese-made agiles as compared to american-made, but my multiscale 7 (korean) came out with no flaws whatsoever. ESP also makes good 7 strings, but as Adrian said most of them are in 25.5" scale length. I would say for your price range, stick with Ibanez, Schecter or Agile, but that's just me.

American-made Agiles? I thought all Agiles were made in China or Korea?

EDIT: Not a 7-string but I'm getting this whenever I have the cash, I've heard really good things about Agile 7-8 string guitars. Worth checking them out forsure.

As for 7-strings, I got a ESP LTD SC207 for about $500 a few months back(brand new) and it was pretty fucking intense. There was also a thread a while back about someone here also getting the SC207, used for $250 I think.
I wouldn't even call it a low-end model TBH. Plus, I saw a few of people in the Djent/Deathcore department use the SC series.

I really like the idea of Agiles I just feel like they are not what they are cut out to be. This isn't from experience or anything, just a gut feeling.

The ESP Steven Carpenter 7 String looks perfect except its a baritone which I honestly know nothing about (I understand the extra scale length). You couldn't tune it standard drop A (A-E-A-D-G-B-E) correct? I'm gonna look into a used & string hellraiser also

Edit: I really don't think I'm interested in a 25.5" scale seeing as how I play one now

I haven't ever read/heard a bad review of an Agile, personally. Extra scale length is something people often look for in ERGs. You can tune to drop A on a 25.5" neck, if you've got proper intonation setup and good strings and blah blah blah. More scale length (guitar and string) helps with lower tunings.

Not really. Neck-through will actually give you better sustain in many cases, but like all things it more or less just comes down to preference. Bolt-ons tend to have a little bit more brightness and attack, while a neck-through design will tend towards a warmer and thicker sound (plus generally easier access to the high frets). I will say that for recording my gut feeling is to go for a neck-through, due to providing more resonance and depth to the sound, but if you like to do a lot of really fast and technical playing then a bolt-on may be for you. In the end I'd say technique and amp tone has a bigger impact than the guitar neck type, though.

Not really. Neck-through will actually give you better sustain in many cases, but like all things it more or less just comes down to preference. Bolt-ons tend to have a little bit more brightness and attack, while a neck-through design will tend towards a warmer and thicker sound (plus generally easier access to the high frets). I will say that for recording my gut feeling is to go for a neck-through, due to providing more resonance and depth to the sound, but if you like to do a lot of really fast and technical playing then a bolt-on may be for you. In the end I'd say technique and amp tone has a bigger impact than the guitar neck type, though.

Don't forget that all of this is HUGELY dependent on the guitar's construction, materials, electronics, etc... there are bolt-ons that sound great and bolt-ons that sound cheap, and vice versa with string-thru construction.

well it looks like I'm gonna pull the trigger on it. Last question is this guitar comes with either Seymour Duncan Blackout Pickups (AH1-b) or EMG 707's. I have had EMG's before and they sounded rather harsh to me. Any opinions on the blackouts over the 707's?

well it looks like I'm gonna pull the trigger on it. Last question is this guitar comes with either Seymour Duncan Blackout Pickups (AH1-b) or EMG 707's. I have had EMG's before and they sounded rather harsh to me. Any opinions on the blackouts over the 707's?

Blackouts are MORE harsh than 707s. They are ceramic and the 707s are alnico, after all...

Agiles are, imo, some of best bargains to be had in the new guitar market.

As for 7s, I had a Schecter Hellraiser and thought it was a well made and very comfortable guitar to play. Some people think the necks are too fat/clunky, but I didn't personally find them so, but it is something to think about if you're transitioning over to a 7 from a 6. Also, I don't really care for the 707s they put in them. Sound sort of sterile and overly condensed to my ears.

And don't get a Schecter that isn't made in Korea. The Indonesian made ones are junk.

One guitar that sounds like it might be something that would interest you is the Ibanez APEX2
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/APEX2

I think that if I were in the Market for a 7 atm, I'd get one of these. Although I did hear that the stock pups sound sort of on the muddy side.

To me Blackouts tend to sound very muddy on the low-end compared to EMGs - still good but I think they've become a bit overhyped as an "EMG alternative" when in reality they don't always get you the sound you want. It's cool to hate EMGs and people don't always use their ears when judging tone.

The way EMGs sound depends on what kind of guitar they're in, and the actual pickup itself. That said, SD's typically seem to have a flatter response and a 'warmer' sound, whereas active EMGs can tend to have a 'sterile', scratchy sound. This is just my experience, however. Get whatever pickup you think will serve the kind of music you're going to play.

I use a Washburn x-series seven strings. and it can get down to Drop F before it gets muddy, and its baritone scale, and has great tuners. I hate picking up others after i play mine.

I'm playing alot of deathcore and melodic death metal. I want something thats beefy.

Its weird to say but other than the muddiness/sloppiness of the pickups, I think the stock pups in the RG7321 (their shit) sound thicker and less harsh than my EMG 81-85's in my explorer.