Could u help me??

Goobie_27

New Metal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Hey Im a 20 year old (drummer) Music student in australia! and I have a 20min talk to do on a song of my choice, I have picked the OPETH song, Windowpane!
I really could do with sum help on the back ground of the song! If anyone has any information on Windowpane, it would be much apreciated??

the solos on that one are amazing. and very raw and natural...you can hear the fingers sliding on the guitar.

and once last summer there was a thread here...couldnt find it (if someone can, would you please post it?). he/she was saying the song was a rip-off from a track on the computer game vice city. i wonder how that subject was resolved. anyone remember that?

hmmm what else do i know about this song? it has a nice drumming, kinda groovy. hehe bet you definitely figured that out by now.

well 20 min is quite long, you deffo need to talk about the lyrics and the damnation album in general.

and why this song? you could have chosen one from the concept albums and you would have more to talk about.

Goobie_27 said:
Hey Im a 20 year old (drummer) Music student in australia!
Congratulations. I'm afraid the welcoming comitee has gone on strike... next time we'll bring roses.

I dont think there's 20 minutes worth of talking concerning this track. As a drummer, I'm sure you could have picked something a little more exhilarating (Absu, perhaps?)

Don Corleone said:
and once last summer there was a thread here...couldnt find it (if someone can, would you please post it?). he/she was saying the song was a rip-off from a track on the computer game vice city. i wonder how that subject was resolved. anyone remember that

What the hell? Rip off of Vice City. That's the first I've heard of it haha..

yeah, you deffo have to talk about the lyrics, that's the easier part though, you could kick off by analysing the phenomenon of windowpane, what it means literally and figuratively, symbol of loneliness, hopelessness, pain (you see, window-pain, etc.) and then move on to the global meaning of the words and what you think they want to convey, stuff like that

If you find you don't have enough material from "Windowpane" by itself, what you may want to do is contrast its lyrics against "Wreath". At least when I read those two together, they seem to convey two different sets of feelings about the very same scene. Notice, for instance, the reaction to the sound of the children, in each set of lyrics. I don't know whether Mikael intended this, but you could easily see Deliverance and Damnation as representing opposite sides of the same person...and use that as the starting point for your analysis. I know I may be completely off base with that, but perhaps it'll help with your project.

Yes...Moor would be an excellent track to talk about. Though it does touch on religious issues and has harsh vox so it could negatively effect your grade if that isnt the teachers thing...definitely ask first.

You'de have a lot more material to work with if you picked a song that transitions between light and heavy. You could do a whole bit on how Opeth contrasts the beauty and brutality. The Drapery Falls would be an excellent song for this...

Just...consider not doing Windowpane. While it's a great song it doesn't have nearly the material to talk about that a song off a concept album or a soft/heavy song has in the dynamics department.

Good luck!

omg...it has the exact melody in there...with the word windowpane in that spot....we all know that the guys like to play video games...and have a tendency to rip off songs from camel....but common mikael...did you think that we wouldn't find out?

I think it went something like this:

I'm Mikael. I like to play GTA3. I should play GTA3 now. What radio station should I listen? I don't know... What about HEAD RADIO? Ok...

Hmm... time to write songs for the MELLOW ALBUM... Here's a nice chord progression. Next up: Lyrics!

Cruelty... no
Butthole... no
Window... closer
Window of pain... not yet
Windowpane... THAT'S IT!

This is a cool song! I made it myself! My soon-to-be Wife! Come here! I made a song!

The rest is history!

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
What the hell? Rip off of Vice City. That's the first I've heard of it haha..

It's true...someone posted a sample from an 80s techno song that had basically the same melody and a female vocalist talking about a 'windowpane'. Was kind of freaky.

Edit: Oh it's been reposted.