Could you coax a Vai tone out of a 5150?

Lopes said:
Kind of a contradiction right there.

You obviously aren't getting my point. Comparing an amp to an amp, the 5150 is fuller tone with a wider range of possibilities. Vai makes the Carvin Legacy sound better than most people can, but he would sound even more amazing through a 5150.

Vai's never gotten the best guitar sound IMO, although some of that can be chalked up to his desire to sound distinctive, which he does. I would argue that Satriani gets better tone, but Vai is definitely the better player, and I own (and love) all of his albums.

Hi guys! I own a Carvin Legacy 2x12 Combo.
And I think that the last few albums are recorded with the Legacy Amp.
If there is a diffirent tone than Legacy, it could be identified easy.

Dimitar

why you'd want to sound like that chode is beyond me (no offence to the real vai fans here.. hell i even have crossroads on video hahahah)

Kazrog said:
Vai's never gotten the best guitar sound IMO, although some of that can be chalked up to his desire to sound distinctive, which he does. I would argue that Satriani gets better tone, but Vai is definitely the better player, and I own (and love) all of his albums.

Hehe I would say that Vai has much better guitar tone, but Satch is the better songwriter. I don't think either one is the better player. IMO, to be a good guitar player simply means your playing sounds great. I think both easily qualify in that regard. It all just shows how subjective things like this are.

I'm just a stupid drummer but I know a shit sound when I hear it. I've seen Vai twice in the last few years and his sound during sound check was awful. I agree that it is all in his fingers. That sound fits his unique playing style.