Countdown to Extinction?

AlexStomp

Feb 7, 2002
DC area
Visit site
While this album has it's moments (particularly Ashes in your Mouth), I hardly think this as a cause to celebrate. This is when Megadeth started to lose credibility in my book. They got progressively mellower and then they put out Risk and ended it for me right there. I remember thinking Coundtown ripped off Metallica right down to the old man on the cover. Wait a minute? Didn't Anthrax have a cover with a naked dude on the front?? ah nevermind

I like this record, but it's hardly a classic that I'd want played in its entirety like Peace Sells or RIP.

No, you are all wrong! ;) Countdown is a masterpiece and I think it's great that they're playing it live. Architecture of Aggression! :Spin:

On a sidenote, it's about time Mustaine finally started downtuning to be able to sing!

I remember seeing Dave being interviewed on Jon Stewart I think when Youthanasia came out. He said this will be the greatest album they'll ever do. I should find that and post it wow how arrogant do you have to be to say that?

I think the album had some great tracks but it was a step down from Peace, SFSGSW, & RIP.

I remember seeing Dave being interviewed on Jon Stewart I think when Youthanasia came out. He said this will be the greatest album they'll ever do. I should find that and post it wow how arrogant do you have to be to say that?
How is that arrogant? If he said it will be the best album anyone will ever do I could see your point.
Anyway, I can't say seeing Countdown being played in it's entirety excites me much, if at all.

This was the beginning of the end for my interest in Megadeth albums.
Bought this album, and was just too far from what Megadeth had done in the previously. The album itself is well written, but just too light for me. After that, I cautiously waited for the next one, and when I saw the video for Train Of Consequences, that was it. Never bought another Megadeth album after that. Still listen to the original 4 to this day.

How is that arrogant? If he said it will be the best album anyone will ever do I could see your point.
Anyway, I can't say seeing Countdown being played in it's entirety excites me much, if at all.
Yeah I guess so, to me it was just funny watching him say that Youthanasia was and will be their best album ever, after Rust In Peace and other classics as if he was saying this album was better which it of course was not. I like it but damn that's like Anthrax saying "this is the greatest album we will ever make" after Stomp. I LOVE Stomp but to me that's arrogant to judge and pre-judge future work. Just me though.:p

Yeah I guess so, to me it was just funny watching him say that Youthanasia was and will be their best album ever, after Rust In Peace and other classics as if he was saying this album was better which it of course was not. I like it but damn that's like Anthrax saying "this is the greatest album we will ever make" after Stomp. I LOVE Stomp but to me that's arrogant to judge and pre-judge future work. Just me though.:p

Youthansia is a fav of mine. Nice hooks, the lyrics, the singing , fun album!!

Regarding Stomp, Frank did say that it will be the heaviest thing they ever played...YIPES!!

I thought the album was really good. I remember buying Countdown and Vulgar Display of Power at the same time, and I really enjoyed them both. Admittedly, I haven't listened to any of those albums for the last 10 years or so. I obviously noticed Megadeth's change of direction on Countdown the first time i listened to it, but it didn't really bother me. I thought it was really good, regardless.