Countdown to the Election

These 'facts' are becoming a bit tiresome, as I don't see any facts being presented when it comes to Labor's inability to do the above.

Because they dont have any policies that would ensure a stable secure economy. No one has still to present me them with these; typical pinko behaviour, sprout your mouth, but when it comes to crunch time you got nothin.

As to unemployment, and how great it is ( and the assertion that only those seeking employment should be counted).

My sister was working in the Department of Social Security when Howard and Costello decided that the long term unemployed (termed "unemployable") must have had some sort of "disability" to be unemployable for so long, and were therefore shifted to the ranks of the "disabled".

Problem solved in the short term.

Then as official unemployment came down by redefining the parameters by which you are actually employed, these people were declared bludgers...remember the crackdown on people falsely claiming disability ?

The majority were those who were declared disabled because they couldn't find a job in the first place.

As to unemployment, and how great it is ( and the assertion that only those seeking employment should be counted).

My sister was working in the Department of Social Security when Howard and Costello decided that the long term unemployed (termed "unemployable") must have had some sort of "disability" to be unemployable for so long, and were therefore shifted to the ranks of the "disabled".

Problem solved in the short term.

Then as official unemployment came down by redefining the parameters by which you are actually employed, these people were declared bludgers...remember the crackdown on people falsely claiming disability ?

The majority were those who were declared disabled because they couldn't find a job in the first place.

Not only this, but unemployment can only get to a certain point before it has to go up again. It's now about as low as it can go.

Dän;6273861 said:
Because they dont have any policies that would ensure a stable secure economy. No one has still to present me them with these; typical pinko behaviour, sprout your mouth, but when it comes to crunch time you got nothin.

I was asking you for evidence of these 'facts' though. Seems you should take a look in the mirror.

Dän;6273861 said:

Show me the black-shirts' policy to prop up Medicare so I don't have to drive an hour to a doctor who bulk bills.

Dan,
wages are rising massively, due to exactly the thing that you have referred to earlier, the resources "boom".

Property prices in W.A. are reflecting exactly the same phenomenon.

They want people to work there, and are offering shitloads of money to work there. Shifting people requires accommodation, so housing prices go up.

what they are offering graduate mining engineers in W.A. is insane.

Take 100 people at $50k per annum, and offer only two of them $150k per annum...there's 2% wage growth instantly.

Vast majority aren't better off, just a couple of niche markets created by a
boom, which as you've stated, Howard doesn't know how to deal with the end of finite resources.

Personally for some of the changes in how the welfare and medicare systems have changed under Howard are massive, it seems like the harder the mrs and I work, the less and less support we get, we are by no means low wage earners, but also are not big earners. We have 2 kids, no bulk bill doctors in our area, no welfare support unless you are an aboriginal or 16 years old with a kid.

I know under Rudd, that the Medicare system will improve, and the government wont sit back on their laurels and let children have children with such stupid ideas as a baby bonus no matter your age, and that the local black fellas in my area will have to at least try and find work, not sit in the local park pissed abusing everyone they aren't afraid of themselves

Dan,
wages are rising massively, due to exactly the thing that you have referred to earlier, the resources "boom".

Property prices in W.A. are reflecting exactly the same phenomenon.

They want people to work there, and are offering shitloads of money to work there. Shifting people requires accommodation, so housing prices go up.

what they are offering graduate mining engineers in W.A. is insane.

Take 100 people at $50k per annum, and offer only two of them $150k per annum...there's 2% wage growth instantly.

Vast majority aren't better off, just a couple of niche markets created by a
boom, which as you've stated, Howard doesn't know how to deal with the end of finite resources.

House prices are high because the supply of houses in the short run is fixed, so an increase in demand will only lead to an increase in the price. Once more places are built the prices will start to move to their natural level.

0,1658,5535355,00.jpg

Dan, where the sticking point seems to be is that you're asking for *economic* reasons to vote Labor. I think everyone might agree that the Libs have done a good job of managing the economy. Probably better than a Labor government might have done if they'd had the opportunity, even.

But what everyone else is saying that there are *other* reasons to vote Labor that are at best tangentially related to the economy. There needs to be a focus on social issues *as well* as the economy.

You're arguing solely about the economy and brushing aside the other things. We like to emphasise the other things.

Dan, where the sticking point seems to be is that you're asking for *economic* reasons to vote Labor. I think everyone might agree that the Libs have done a good job of managing the economy. Probably better than a Labor government might have done if they'd had the opportunity, even.

But what everyone else is saying that there are *other* reasons to vote Labor that are at best tangentially related to the economy. There needs to be a focus on social issues *as well* as the economy.

You're arguing solely about the economy and brushing aside the other things. We like to emphasise the other things.

I know that there are other social issues that come and go; but as I've argued before we live in an economy not a society, so a good ecnomy equals a good economy; to me economic affluence comes first and the rest will follow. Perhaps i'm naive in my thinking, but I dont think so.

Dan, I want to know whether all these 'facts' you keep spouting out actually affect you personally? You seem to have all these facts as to why Libs should be kept in government economically, so I'd assume that all of these facts would apply to you. I mean, obviously there are NO social issues that affect you, otherwise you wouldn't brush them aside, so you must live ENTIRELY economically, so I was just curious as to how that works.

Of course they effect me. When I get out of education in a few years I want to know that ill have a job, im voting for the party now that will offer me this in 3 years time, and I think Libs have the better crendentials.

And most of the social issues on the agenda dont effect me greatly; I dont care about hicks, the war is nackered but we had no choice but to follow, regardless of what you argue; because I live at home medicare isnt an issue. Perhaps in 5-10 yrs time my perception on life will change, and one would expect it might, but until such time I will maintain my thinking.

I dont see how, in a free market, capitalist society that you cant argue that our lives and everything in society is dictated to, in one way or another, by our economic policies and prosperity.