Covid and incompetence

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
It's interesting when you consider the devolved government in Wales compared to what happens in England. In Wales it's a modern building as it is in so many countries nowadays and yet in England we are still kow-towing to tradition that long since lost any relevance.

The younger generations today cannot relate to privileged, entitled folk acting like they should be punting on the Cam in the 1920's rather than understanding that they are actually supposed to be representing the interests of the nation, not just of their own little boorish club. This "ra ra" attitude is a particularly Tory problem as well. The youngsters are more likely to laugh in the face of such "toffs".

I will be turning 49 next week and I genuinely can't believe the shambles this country finds itself in due to poor leadership and an attitude that pretty much seems to be "Do as we say, not as we do". A government that is unable to articulate its own rules in public should not be surprised to find that no-one really takes any notice. They lost the people in failing to deal with the Dominic Cummings affair. There was an opportunity to show that it matters not where you are in the pecking order.....rules are rules. But no, cowardice and fear got in the way as usual. A government that plainly does not have the "plumbs" to make laws rather than guidance. I can only imagine how this lot would have managed a war time scenario.....to be fair I've a pretty good idea of how that would pan out.

There has to be some kind of accountability for all these mistakes and all these times the scientific advice has been ignored. In my occupation, if I spent my time blustering and making things up that are clearly not true I would not have a job for very long. It seems however that the opposite applies in government these days. The more you lie, the further you go......

Looking across the pond and things don't get any better. How can two supposedly great nations end up with two ridiculous "leaders" who can barely string a sensible statement together in public and, despite this, people still cheer them on.

I've worked from home for over 6 years and I understand that it is undoubtedly easier for someone like me to cope with the current situation but it's really not hard to stay at home and use common sense but therein lies the crux and one of the major failings. Common sense isn't "common" anymore and as long as the government keep banging on about trusting the common sense of the people they will be doomed to failure, as they lost the trust of the people months ago. It would be nice to hear some contrition as well. Plenty of world leaders around the world admit mistakes and their people appreciate their honesty. We don't seem to do honesty in the House of Commons these days, bluster is clearly the way forward.

For those of you who don't "believe" in the virus......it's not Sunday, this isn't a church and this isn't a matter of faith". But there again some people believe anything they are told. Bleach anyone?

And we have not even got to the absolute farce that is Brexit......

At this rate......see you all in 2022 I would suggest.

After 8 months we are not any closer to seeing the UK government get a firm grip (or any kind of grip) of the ongoing pandemic. As thoughts turn to Christmas we are subject to the same vague, generic statements full of words like "hope", "might" and "should". All of which just adds to the lack of clarity that has been evident for months. There seems to be absolutely no accountability which seems ludicrous given the severity of the situation although the very idea of Boris Johnson in an elected role is the very definition of ludicrous.

People also need to get a grip. Yes Cummings should have been sacked along with numerous others but that's not how this government works. Some people are more equal than others.

Sacrifice one Christmas to ensure that we all can enjoy the festivities in future years. It's not hard is it? Or is it? I would have taken the same view with holidays. Sacrifice the holiday this year as part of the greater good. Trouble is, so many people are so selfish these days that they only think of themselves even at times like this. Honestly, if there was a World War I think some folk would say they "needed" a holiday then too.

It's really not as hard as things are made to look and if only we had a UK government that could act in an honourable way and show the people that they do understand the situation and can be honest rather than getting caught up in the whole libertarian approach. It's not about liberty....it's very simple. Do you want to die? If so you carry on being selfish but in many ways all people are doing is replicating the selfish nature of the government themselves.

It's truly depressing when we look at Johnson and Trump and you have to ask yourself "Are these clowns really the best we can come up with"? If you believe their BS.....well...good luck to you.