YOUR opinion of America & it's people

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
To begin, allow me to introduce myself as Matteo, an American living in New York.

I posted this thread simply to gain insight into the minds of people in other parts of the world. I'd love to know EXACTLY what you think of American & it's people.

Please note, however, that less than half of Americans are of the "George Bush mold". In other words, I feel, the great majority of Americans are not the imperialistic war-mongering, capitalist devils that Bush & his collegues are.

One must understand that, although this is a democracy, that the government is "for the rich & by the rich", and that the "common man" is never a player in it's affairs. There is no such thing as a true democracy.
Of course, the common man votes & can sway elections in that sense, but WE are rarely if ever, in positions where WE ourselves can attain poweful office.

So, with this being said, I'd like to know the opinions of non-Americans on this BB.
What do you think of Bush?; Of the Average American?; and of the country in general?

Honesty is most welcome!

I have been to the States 4 times. I've got family and friends there. I've met quite a few people. I never said I did not like Americans or think that they are in any way "evil". To be honest, I think Europeans are much more "bad" characters than the people in the US. More selfish, more "wise-guys", more arrogant, less helpful... At least in Greece and the UK were I've lived. I'm not saying all Europeans are horrible peole, it's just that US people have a kinder soul I think. The big problem is ignorance. You have the terrible trait of listening and believing whatever you're being told. Saddam has nukes, CNN says. So it must be true you think. N. Korea is evil and dangerous, Bush says. So it must be like that you think. People in the States have to wake up a bit and search for the true meaning of things a bit more I think. Question things more. Are all these facts really true? Stop being so receptive and rebel a bit. In terms of "kindness", I have no problem whatsoever with US citizens.

Originally posted by sol83
The big problem is ignorance. You have the terrible trait of listening and believing whatever you're being told. People in the States have to wake up a bit and search for the true meaning of things a bit more I think. Question things more.

Brother, you've accurately described the grand majority of Americans, I feel. Sad that it is.

I've only been to Europe twice - to Italy & Holland. I found the Dutch to be, as you've explained, somewhat "rude" and less than helpful.
The italians, on the other hand, were the nicest people I've encountered!

The big problem is ignorance. You have the terrible trait of listening and believing whatever you're being told. Saddam has nukes, CNN says. So it must be true you think. N. Korea is evil and dangerous, Bush says. So it must be like that you think. People in the States have to wake up a bit and search for the true meaning of things a bit more I think. Question things more. Are all these facts really true? Stop being so receptive and rebel a bit. In terms of "kindness", I have no problem whatsoever with US citizens.
I totlly agree with sol. I've seen that in the forums i've visit,and the conversations i've made with U.S. residents, and the problem is that the majority is like that.:cry:

Originally posted by Ivo
maybe this is an education problem?

I'd venture so say that it's less of an "education problem" here than it is a "pop culture" phenomenon. By many standards, American education is great. The problem lies, however, with the students, many of whom just don't give a sh*t about schooling. Amazing, to be sure.

For example, while attending college (university), I was amazed at just how many students never participated, rarely offered opinions/asked questions, etc., and seemed to be generally UNinterested in learning. It was quite a shocking experience.

But, again, I feel that this is a result of America being too "lazy" and "comfortable". At the same time, it's probably inevitable. When one doesn't have to be concerned about where his next meal is coming from, or if his bus ride to school will be sabotaged with a bomb, one tends to grow complacent & lazy - even mentally lazy.

I highly doubt that most of us Americans would be able to cope with living in a place such as Israel of Palestine. Not initially, at least.

To be honest, I think Europeans are much more "bad" characters than the people in the US. More selfish, more "wise-guys", more arrogant, less helpful... At least in Greece and the UK were I've lived.

I live in the UK for the last 3 years and I have to say that english people are really helpfull. Speaking for greeks now, you have to admit our hopsitality, and also our generocity.For all the other that you mentioned I think you were right

americans and italians tend to TALK TOO MUCH...
dutch people are great.
ignorance is bliss in the usa. and the goverment are the biggest liars of all.
america is a babylonian hell hole and its common man is not the smartest little fucker on the planet.
the entire system is run by evil and it will be brought down, like every other stinking country on this filthy disgusting world.
there are lots of nice people there.
there are lots of nice people everywhere.
but the baddies are winning.

fuck you mankind.

Originally posted by pagan2002
america is a babylonian hell hole and its common man is not the smartest little fucker on the planet.
the entire system is run by evil and it will be brought down, like every other stinking country on this filthy disgusting world.
but the baddies are winning.

fuck you mankind.
:headbang:

Originally posted by Ivo
maybe this is an education problem?

i have been in american international schools for 9 years, and its alright. the whole open mindness, or the narrow mindess of its components has to do with the students themselves..I think that everyone is capable of making their own ideas and thoughts outside the ones being tought to them, but unfortunately not everyone wants and does this. I have encountered alot of americans victims of the propaganda and bush b.s, even those people that I thought to be above those sort of influences. its dead true that america's government is for the rich by the rich though...i dont like making generalisations about entire nations based on a few, but in regards to this topic of being influenced by propaganda and tv, I think that america has a MAJOR problem with it, lots of blind people out there. danny summed it up dead on well about the people.....well except for the italian bit :mad: hehe

Originally posted by The Deepest Of All Hearts
I live in the UK for the last 3 years and I have to say that english people are really helpfull. Speaking for greeks now, you have to admit our hopsitality, and also our generocity.For all the other that you mentioned I think you were right

I'm not talking so much about helping others. European minds are somewhat more wicked than American ones I think... They will trick you and decieve you more often I reckon... That's from my experience and the things I've witnessed at least... I dunno about you lads... For fucks sake I'm not saying we are horrible, don't get me wrong!

Its pretty sad to see all of the war-mongering going on in the US right now. I hate Bush with a passion. Our system is corrupt, Our administration are war-mongers, our foreign policy sucks, no wonder people from other countries don't like us, and frankly I don't blame you. the media here, especially FOX, CNN, and MSNBC are already on the Bush bandwagon. Bush wants to start a war so we can have cheap gas. how did that guy ever graduate Harvard university? probably through the correspondence program. he should be shot just for being so damn ignorant. he is so damn hell bent on going into iraq, even though the UN inspectors aren't going to find anything. No wonder my band recorded a song called "Anti American." the american culture has declined to the point that we appear to be a bunch of gun-toting hillbillies driving our gas guzzling SUV's ready to attack anything which does not conform to our "high and mighty" standards.

I know I am ranting and raving, but I have to admit that it is very frustrating watching what my country does, it's very shameful.

My 2 cents.

Well. I think Greek hospitality is top. Dont know about American hospitality, but for what i think its true shit. If I arrive in America I would feel uncomfortable, I see Americans as dickheads. As people who dont care about other people then themselves. Dont get me wrong now, I make this up for myself from what I see, hear. there are certainly nice people to meet, but not as much as here... but I rguess that the nice ones are really nice, because they think for themselves... and are not the standardtype.

And I feel very bad about the fact that the big part of them are supporting Bush's policy! :eek: So he will be president for another 4 years! I mean, if some crazy people are flying with aeroplanes into hospitals, flats, public areas, whatever, I'm not joining the army for that. Its nuts. They are brainwashed because of Bush's talk about the attack on the twin towers. sad but true. dumbasses! :mad:

Originally posted by SoundMaster

I highly doubt that most of us Americans would be able to cope with living in a place such as Israel of Palestine. Not initially, at least.
[/QUOTE

The media got you too..
I live in israel in a city called acco (50%-Jews,50%-Arabs-Christians and Muslems)

there's no war on the streets,no blood on the sidewalks,and there is no paranoia,of course people are more aware and suspicious.
but the majority here lives an ordinary life.

im one of the laziest bastards you'll ever meet..)

Btw,one fucked up thing about america i can think of right now is that law that every man can buy a gun for self defence....
that,combined with the famous american ignorance,cause alot of problems.(or "issues" in american)

Originally posted by pagan2002

fuck you mankind...
...you are so ugly so vain, the language of brutality is all you seem to undertsand, you are no better from a pack of hyneas, the smell of someone else's pain makes you feel good.

The Haunted.

Originally posted by Mariner
Dont know about American hospitality, but for what i think its true shit. If I arrive in America I would feel uncomfortable, I see Americans as dickheads. As people who dont care about other people then themselves. Dont get me wrong now, I make this up for myself from what I see, hear. there are certainly nice people to meet, but not as much as here...

I'm sorry, but this is somewhat confusing. Do you, or don't you know about american hospitality? The first sentence makes a claim for both?!?!??
By the way, have you been here?