If Americans are as stupid as you say...

Breakloose, I said the US got in ww2 late. i did NOT say we entered to help anybody. but the fact is that early American efforts in WW2 were made in the Euro theatre of operations against the Nazis and Fascists, before concentrating full effort on Hirohitos empire in the Pacific theatre. I had relatives on both sides of that war, American and Italian. Remember, niether the Germans or Italians attacked the US, but it was still the right thing to get involved in Europe, imagine if we did not. and you are very correct, we should NOT have waited for Pearl Harbor. There was a strong isolationist feeling at the time, as a result of WW1.
It is good that Americans in the 1940's had more patience than today. I could not imagine people complaining, "we invaded Normandy 3 weeks ago and still dont have Hitler!" or "the Germans did not attack us, why should we be at war with them!"
we also should not have waited for 9/11 to get serious about the global war on te®®o®, but we did.
as i said, better late than never

I dont, nor do I have to, agree with you on all points, that is part of being free

Ant

Yeah, there's terrorism on one side and there's America on the other, fighting it, how beautiful the world is.

pffff

antferrara said:
There was a strong isolationist feeling at the time, as a result of WW1.
It is good that Americans in the 1940's had more patience than today. I could not imagine people complaining, "we invaded Normandy 3 weeks ago and still dont have Hitler!" or "the Germans did not attack us, why should we be at war with them!"

Oh how things have changed (regarding isolationism)

And about the second point, please tell me you're joking and not comparing the Iraqi invasion with the involvement in WW2.

The only reason we entered into the war in WW2 was because we were attacked at Pearl Harbor. We weren't such a selfless nation, as so many people would like to have you believe.

you can say anything but China and India and Pakistan and Indonesia makes almost 4 billion people out of of the 6 b. poor soul on this earth.

_they_ will rule the Earth, just have a look at the chinese, they got a chrysler jeep or a honda bike or anything and weeks later(!) they have the same machinery, but now its hongda or some stupid name...
or look at India, they are starting to spread all over the IT-biz, just try to get a job on e-lance there will surely be one who takes it for $5.

so, you americans, enjoy what you've got, until you've got, it for the days of your empire are counted, and as every great empire fell, eventually you will fall too or seclude yourselves from the rest of the world even more.

don't misunderstand me: i don't hate you or sg like that. i'm sim-racing with an american fellow in NASCAR, i'm watching NHL (or I'd watch) and sometimes Hollywood movies. (not too much luckily)

but this is the way I see things. i may be wrong. (and of course didn't take the detour towards other end-of-the-world schemes, some of them including escaping into virtual worlds and slowing down human metabolism to make us believe we live (almost) forever. )

Coldwave is right.

All the empires fell, sooner o later you will be just U.S.A. another country. So the only advice i can give you, is be ready. Spain, England or Germany was a great empire once so what? So you could pay more attention to Europe, cos this is gonna be your future (with some differences of course), some of you no everybody i know, think about us like the old Europe, living in the past in their glorious times.
Maybe we are, but next to us is the new China that is coming to eat the cake.

Just let you know Empires last now less than before, their average live is not 500 years anymore.

And i dont have anything against U.S.A., just happen that i was born in Europe.

may

Haha, you're discussing empires like they were apples or sth. No 2 empires were alike and in theory an empire could be forever of course. And Germany an empire?

"No 2 empires were alike and in theory an empire could be forever of course"

of course; define "empire" and define "forever". ;)

coldwave said:
so, you americans, enjoy what you've got, until you've got, it for the days of your empire are counted, and as every great empire fell, eventually you will fall too or seclude yourselves from the rest of the world even more.
You're right, but don't think for a minute that europe won't have the same future.

China and some other Asian countries hold the future. The USA and Europe will become significantly less wealthy and will have a lot less to say on global and economical issues.

Judge gsz said:
You're right, but don't think for a minute that europe won't have the same future.

China and some other Asian countries hold the future. The USA and Europe will become significantly less wealthy and will have a lot less to say on global and economical issues.

i don't think it. as i said, just go to elance and try to get a job. you won't, because an indian will under-bid you. OK, we, Central EU people did it years we were only a ten millions of people, not hundred millions or 1-2 billions.

Allan said:
German-Roman?

Yeah, Otto I, 962, the Pope made him emperor. It ended in 1802, so that was quite a long time for an empire.

Allan said:
Anyways, yeah, you lot started WW1, if it weren't for WW2 you might be getting all the bad rep now reserved for the Germans

yeah :cool:

coldwave said:
i don't think it. as i said, just go to elance and try to get a job. you won't, because an indian will under-bid you. OK, we, Central EU people did it years we were only a ten millions of people, not hundred millions or 1-2 billions.
Sorry, I don't get your point. Are you saying Europe won't have more and more economical problems?