Crazy Band Ideas

Right about now I'd like to hear a 2nd-wave bm inspired band with slow bm riffs, picking, and vocals mixed with filthy sludge metal riffs but with a raw, cold tone instead of being beefy and warm, plus portions of feedback noise music. That would probably be one of my favorite albums ever.

No. But by their name they sound like they are influenced by Indian music.

John Maclaughlin is English, but was into what ever spirtual thing that is and his guru (not sure what they are really called) actually gave him that name, so he became Mahavishnu John Maclaughlin. Read on it in wikipedia if your interested. But he did incorporate Eastern scales in his playing. Im not saying it sounded anything like any of the Mid Eastern music because I dont follow that stuff, didnt sound alot like jazz either. Was pure fusion, not very rock, not very jazz. There was a large influence in the hippy days, primarily from... excuse my spelling Ravi Shankar... who happens to be the father of Nora Jones.

As for the topic I have always tried to have a somewhat funky chopped or boogie feel to some my heavier stuff. Mostly naturally rather than "tried", but its far from sucessful or obvious. Prolly mostly comes off more as a mix of rock and old school metal but at times less "white", A different drummer might help me get a different feel, but Im happy and just having fun.

I'd like to see an acoustic death metal band. And I don't mean just some guy playing metal songs on acoustic guitar, I mean a band that tries to sound as heavy and as brutal as possible without using any electric instruments. Guitar would be out completely in favor of darker, deeper sounding instruments, drums and death vocals would stay obviously.

^ Good luck with finding a band that does that and doesn't suck.

What about freeform celtic death ska? That might be interesting. /sarcasm

I think celtic ska would be cool. But I dunno about throwing death in, that just makes it sound like some wacky idea.

As for the topic I have always tried to have a somewhat funky chopped or boogie feel to some my heavier stuff. Mostly naturally rather than "tried", but its far from sucessful or obvious. Prolly mostly comes off more as a mix of rock and old school metal but at times less "white", A different drummer might help me get a different feel, but Im happy and just having fun.

Rage Against The Machine can be funky and heavy. You might not like them because they have a rapper.

I'd like to see an acoustic death metal band. And I don't mean just some guy playing metal songs on acoustic guitar, I mean a band that tries to sound as heavy and as brutal as possible without using any electric instruments. Guitar would be out completely in favor of darker, deeper sounding instruments, drums and death vocals would stay obviously.

I'd like to hear metal without a guitar. I mean, it's a nice instrument, but rather overused.

There's an a'capella power metal band. I forgot their name. But their music is pretty funny.

And I agree, the guitar is overused. There are so many vibes and stuff that the guitar can't reach and that aren't reached because the guitar is so popular.

And there are just far too many guitarists in the world. It isn't really neccessary to make metal heavy or brutal either, I've managed to achieve a similar effect with intense drumming and distorted synths.

I hooked up my friends keyboard to an amp and distorted it and it sounded like shit.

But yeah, I think creating music without a guitar would be great. I've thought of making relaxing music using Keyboard, Bansuri, Quena, and Peruvian Panpipes. And using the African drums my brother has.

The problem is I don't know the notation for my panpipes. The names of tones in Spanish are different.

I dunno. I just hooked it up. Turned on the distortion and put the keyboard on the synth setting.